Masters in Social Work VS. Masters in Clinical Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikki7777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum

My name is Nikki, I am from Texas. I just graduated with my Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice. I am now looking into pursuing my Masters degree however, I am a bit confused as to which graduate degree would suit me best. I am having trouble trying to decide what the difference is between a Masters in Clinical Psychology between a Masters in Social Work. While talking to the head professor of the psychology department here in my hometown he stated a Masters in Social work would be better because of the wide variety of jobs. But, he didn't go into much more detail.

I love helping people and I am very social, my friends tend to think I am already some kind of therapist because of the great advice I give them. I would really like to hear from others whom are working in the field what their opinions are or students currently working on the stated degrees. Which is more beneficial and Why?? Please any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nikki! Welcome to the SDN forum.

A master's in clinical psychology is generally viewed as worthless unless you plan on pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology. The master's in clinical psych is NOT licensable, so you can't really do much with it.

On the other hand, a master's in social work IS licensable and at least somewhat in demand. It's arguably the best way to become a master's level clinician, in that it is universally accepted and allows social workers (after a couple years of post-master's supervision) to conduct their own therapy and even open a private practice.

Hi thank you so much for the feedback! :)

I do plan to open up my own practice one day, however I still don't know whether I want to pursue my doctorate degree. Would I be able to pursue a doctorate degree if I go for my Masters in Social Work? Will I be able to prescribe medication? And I thought a Clinical Psychologist is Licensed (I must of been confused).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thank you so much for the feedback! :)

I do plan to open up my own practice one day, however I still don't know whether I want to pursue my doctorate degree. Would I be able to pursue a doctorate degree if I go for my Masters in Social Work? Will I be able to prescribe medication? And I thought a Clinical Psychologist is Licensed (I must of been confused).

Thank you!

You can pursue a licensable doctorate in psychology after obtaining an MSW, sure; it's just that the MSW may not necessarily help you very much (if at all) with respect to making your application more competitive. In general, doctoral psychology programs place premium emphasis on research experience and interests rather than prior clinical work.

Prescription privileges for doctoral-level psychologists, after completion of a post-graduate masters-level course in psychopharmacology, are currently restricted to two U.S. states (Louisiana and New Mexico) and the Dept. of Defense. Outside of those areas, you're going to need to be a physician, NP, or PA to prescribe.

Psychologists are licensed, yes. Although you generally aren't licensed as a "clinical psychologist;" rather, the term "psychologist" is restricted in most/all states to individuals who've graduated from a licensable doctoral program and have passed all of the necessary credentialing steps in the state. The exception is typically limited to academics with doctorates in psychology, who're able to refer to themselves as psychologists in academic/research settings (although they are not allowed to provide clinical services).

I see! In your opinion AcronymAllergy, knowing what you know which program would you go for? Clinical psychologist or Social Work?

I am leaning towards a social work degree, BUT I want to make the best decision. I don't want to waste money on a degree that will not benefit me in the future.

I see! In your opinion AcronymAllergy, knowing what you know which program would you go for? Clinical psychologist or Social Work?

I am leaning towards a social work degree, BUT I want to make the best decision. I don't want to waste money on a degree that will not benefit me in the future.

MSW definitely if you want to get to work sooner.

Hi Nikki! Welcome to the SDN forum.

A master's in clinical psychology is generally viewed as worthless unless you plan on pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology. The master's in clinical psych is NOT licensable, so you can't really do much with it.

On the other hand, a master's in social work IS licensable and at least somewhat in demand. It's arguably the best way to become a master's level clinician, in that it is universally accepted and allows social workers (after a couple years of post-master's supervision) to conduct their own therapy and even open a private practice.

FTR, I have a MA in clinical (and I know of many other who do), and you CAN become licensed as an LPC. Depends on your education and training.

However, I do agree that an MSW is going to be an easier (and more portable) route (followed by an MA in counseling psych).

FTR, I have a MA in clinical (and I know of many other who do), and you CAN become licensed as an LPC. Depends on your education and training.

However, I do agree that an MSW is going to be an easier (and more portable) route (followed by an MA in counseling psych).

This.:thumbup:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in pay between those with a degree in social work and those with a degree in clinical?

Does anyone know if there is a difference in pay between those with a degree in social work and those with a degree in clinical?

It depends what you specialize in, the cost of the degree, location, and other factors to determine the difference. I would have to say where I'm at clinical would still make more, although I'm sure that might not hold true everywhere.

It depends what you specialize in, the cost of the degree, location, and other factors to determine the difference. I would have to say where I'm at clinical would still make more, although I'm sure that might not hold true everywhere.

I could very well be mistaken, but my take is that an MSW is going to make more than an LPC (which, I believe, is what the MA/MS in clinical psych would make you eligible for).

And Nikki7777, sorry for the very delayed reply. If you're primarily interested in therapy/service delivery and other types of services for which social workers are trained and typically offer (e.g., assistance in finding housing, help navigating need-based programs, etc.), then go for the MSW. If you're interested in conducting research, administration/supervision, program development, and possibly academia in addition to or in place of clinical service delivery, then the doctorate would be useful.

I could very well be mistaken, but my take is that an MSW is going to make more than an LPC (which, I believe, is what the MA/MS in clinical psych would make you eligible for).

And Nikki7777, sorry for the very delayed reply. If you're primarily interested in therapy/service delivery and other types of services for which social workers are trained and typically offer (e.g., assistance in finding housing, help navigating need-based programs, etc.), then go for the MSW. If you're interested in conducting research, administration/supervision, program development, and possibly academia in addition to or in place of clinical service delivery, then the doctorate would be useful.

I was talking about if they were to pursue a doctorate.

This may largely vary depending on what type of practice, whether they accept insurance (what kind of insurance), etc. I recently saw some data from a Fee & Practice Survey in Psychotherapy Finances that noted Professional Counselors were paid more than MFTs/Social Workers (same rates) for managed care, although it was a veeery small difference. If you have anyone still floating around with indemnity plans, then it was MFTs paid the most, then social workers, and professional counselors were paid the least--however, the difference again was extremely small from most to least.

Here, no one seems to give a darn. Everyone's paid the same regardless.

This may largely vary depending on what type of practice, whether they accept insurance (what kind of insurance), etc. I recently saw some data from a Fee & Practice Survey in Psychotherapy Finances that noted Professional Counselors were paid more than MFTs/Social Workers (same rates) for managed care, although it was a veeery small difference. If you have anyone still floating around with indemnity plans, then it was MFTs paid the most, then social workers, and professional counselors were paid the least--however, the difference again was extremely small from most to least.

Here, no one seems to give a darn. Everyone's paid the same regardless.

That's the same here as well. However, instead of getting paid on the low end, we are paid on the high end.

I have an MA in Clinical Psychology, and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the entire process of obtaining this degree.

However, compared to my fellow MAs, it seems that our MSW cousins are universally regarded as far more desirable candidates for administrative roles--particularly among large bureaucratic systems--thus making it significantly easier for MSWs to gain initial entry into the steady (and well-compensated) career tracts offered by these highly-stable entities such as government offices; non-profit agencies; public education systems; community service centers; international outreach organizations; healthcare networks; insurance companies; election campaigns, political action groups--and even traditional corporate structures.

Therefore, because MSWs are more welcomed and readily accepted into the cultural hierarchy of these important social institutional, there is a greater likelihood that they will eventually breakthrough into the executive level and achieve a rewarding management position (along with a high salary, as well). Ultimately, the MSW degree will confer an unlimited capacity for continued ascent into sequentially higher ranks of leadership.

Hi this is my opinion and it is, That when making a choice about whether to go forward with a masters in clinical psych or a masters social work I would suggest the masters in social work or a PSYD. My reasons are that you have to think about what your are able to do with your degree once you graduate. Most masters in clinical psych or mental health programs are relatively new and the probability of finding job with a degree that is not as established is close to nothing unless it starts raining pigs. Most internships will gladly hire you to work as an intern but will not hire you as a clinician. My personal experience as a new MHC graduate from a NYC program is that their are not many jobs out their that are willing to hire you as an provisional licensed counselor. Most jobs that are available are in substance abuse counseling which is fine if this is what you would like to do for the rest of your career. I would stay clear of any MHC program and focus on social work or a PSYD. Ask your recruiter about how many grads get hired to work out of their internships and as well what type of assistance will you receive when looking for work. You will be spending money on a program that probably will not be cheap. And also think about your career options and job prospects once you graduate.

Just thought I should point out, since I didn't really know when I was starting out on my own path, a psychiatrist makes the most money by far and also has the most career options open to them. To become a psychiatrist you need to go to medical school and then complete a two or three year residency.

Just thought I should point out, since I didn't really know when I was starting out on my own path, a psychiatrist makes the most money by far and also has the most career options open to them. To become a psychiatrist you need to go to medical school and then complete a two or three year residency.

I believe psychiatry residencies are actually 4 years, although the 4th year seems to be a prime opportunity for moonlighting. And yes, psychiatrists by and large get paid about 3x the average starting salary of psychologists (~$65-75k vs. ~$180-200k). That being said, the typical day of your average psychiatrist vs. average psychologist also likely looks pretty different.

I believe psychiatry residencies are actually 4 years, although the 4th year seems to be a prime opportunity for moonlighting. And yes, psychiatrists by and large get paid about 3x the average starting salary of psychologists (~$65-75k vs. ~$180-200k). That being said, the typical day of your average psychiatrist vs. average psychologist also likely looks pretty different.
Is it really a four-year residency? I wonder how much they get paid during that period of time. During my one-year post-doc, I only made about $38k, that would be tough if that was all they made for four-years.

Also, that is a good point to make about the difference in typical day looks like for them as opposed to what we do. I know at my facility, the psychiatrists are under a lot of pressure to crank the patients in and out in 15 minutes; whereas, I can go between 30 to 60 minutes for therapy sessions and a few hours for testing sessions. I think that makes for a much different pace day to day and a much different experience with the patients. From what I have seen, they tend to be better than the average psychologist at getting the initial history; whereas, we tend to be better at developing the initial rapport.

Yep, as best I can remember, it's 4 years. The only 3-year one I can think of off-hand is maybe family medicine...?

I believe pay for residents is similar to that of psychology postdocs ($35-50k/year). Although as I mentioned above, the opportunity for residents to moonlight exists, and can definitely bolster income.

And yes, I'd imagine one of the reasons psychiatrists are paid so much more than psychologists (in addition to the fact that their medication and other medical billing codes are reimbursed at a higher rate) is that they can and do often see more patients per day. As for the initial history taking/rapport establishing, I don't know that my experience has been the same as yours, but that's going to be entirely anecodotal and with small n's in all of my groups.

Just came across this forum as I was Googling "how to choose between clinical psychology, counseling psychology, and social work". Just wanted to share that this conversation here has been helpful...and albeit a slightly off topic, I also found a website comparing a masters in social work to a doctorate in clinical psychology, which I thought I would share because it is relevant to the conversation here: the last sentence also notes the significant difference in salary...http://healthecareers.com/article/career/psychologist-vs-social-worker-whats-the-difference

Of course, there are lots of other variables to consider...financing, financial aid, etc. I'd like to ask more questions here, but I'm going to follow the rules and search for them, since they've probably already been asked. AcronymAllergy, I foung your comments especially useful. Thanks all! I hope Niiki found a suitable option...