Masters Level Courses or Re-take Prereqs

Started by ppushpak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ppushpak

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I just graduated from a top 25 university and my GPA is around a 3.0 and my sGPA a little lower at a 2.7.
I will be completing a Post-Bacc this upcoming year at VCU Cert and hope to apply next cycle.

I am wondering during my glide year should I do more upper level coursework or re-take prereqs? VCU offers you to do a masters program during your Glide year but from the description it seems as if it is more research focused than graduate courses in Biology and Chemistry. Or should I retake O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Chem, Physics, and etc.

Let me know if you need any more information!
 
I've read your post several times and I still don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking if you should take the post Bacc VERSUS doing a research-oriented masters program?
.
If I were you, I would focus on taking science courses (O Chem, Biol, Chem, Physics) thereby improving your cumulative undergrad GPA and science GPA. That's just my opinion.
 
Hi guys,

I just graduated from a top 25 university and my GPA is around a 3.0 and my sGPA a little lower at a 2.7.
I will be completing a Post-Bacc this upcoming year at VCU Cert and hope to apply next cycle.

I am wondering during my glide year should I do more upper level coursework or re-take prereqs? VCU offers you to do a masters program during your Glide year but from the description it seems as if it is more research focused than graduate courses in Biology and Chemistry. Or should I retake O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Chem, Physics, and etc.

Let me know if you need any more information!
I'm confused. A "glide year" is typically the year between finishing a post-bacc and matriculating. So are you asking about once you FINISH your pre-reqs and are applying (essentially, are you asking "What is my plan for one year from now?") --> if so, then I think you're jumping the gun. Focus on doing well in the post-bacc.

If you're not asking that, I don't know what you're asking. You should be re-taking prereqs with an sGPA that low. You need to show mastery of that material.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize for the confusion. I realize my message must not have been clear as I thought it was.

Yes technically my question is asking "What is my plan a year from now". I will be doing the VCU Cert Post-Bacc for sure. The Post-Bacc is followed by an optional research-oriented masters program which seems to focus heavily on developing a thesis while taking a few credits here and there.

I do agree I am jumping the gun a little and my short-term goal is definitely to succeed in the post-bacc and then apply next cycle. However, I'm trying to think a little further in advance to see what I need to do to help myself matriculate.

Like backside_attack said, with an sGPA that low many medical schools need to see my mastery of the material. I am currently doing pre-req coursework over this Summer (1 class) and planning on doing coursework this upcoming Spring Semester (1 class), and next Summer (3 classes) to finish up a majority of my pre-reqs that I did not do well in. The way my post-bacc is structured, the Spring Semester is supposed to be easier and more relaxed so the only reason I am taking 1 more class.

I am planning on applying in early next June and my thought process on the schedule of classes above is if I finish before the end of summer, I can update Medical Schools with grades if I have not heard back from them yet.

However, I'm wondering if re-taking pre-req classes will be more helpful than taking more upper-level biology or chemistry coursework aka microbiology, genetics/a thesis.

Other tidbit of information, I received a 511 (127,126,128,130) on the MCAT
 
Last edited:
I apologize for the confusion. I realize my message must not have been clear as I thought it was.

Yes technically my question is asking "What is my plan a year from now". I will be doing the VCU Cert Post-Bacc for sure. The Post-Bacc is followed by an optional research-oriented masters program which seems to focus heavily on developing a thesis while taking a few credits here and there.

I do agree I am jumping the gun a little and my short-term goal is definitely to succeed in the post-bacc and then apply next cycle. However, I'm trying to think a little further in advance to see what I need to do to help myself matriculate.

Like backside_attack said, with an sGPA that low many medical schools need to see my mastery of the material. I am currently doing pre-req coursework over this Summer (1 class) and planning on doing coursework this upcoming Spring Semester (1 class), and next Summer (3 classes) to finish up a majority of my pre-reqs that I did do well in. The way my post-bacc is structured, the Spring Semester is supposed to be easier and more relaxed so the only reason I am taking 1 more class.

I am planning on applying in early next June and my thought process on the schedule of classes above is if I finish before the end of summer, I can update Medical Schools with grades if I have not heard back from them yet.

However, I'm wondering if re-taking pre-req classes will be more helpful than taking more upper-level biology or chemistry coursework aka microbiology, genetics/a thesis.

Other tidbit of information, I received a 511 (127,126,128,130) on the MCAT
Thanks for the clarification.

Okay here is my two cents: don't do the research master's. Spend that year working to save money and enjoying adulthood. Find something that pays decently and would give you time off for interviews with short notice. Find a volunteer gig to start before you submit AMCAS and continue doing it in your year off school. Maybe your job is medically related (scribing, CNA, etc.) or maybe it isn't - but that is my initial thought.

Your MCAT is good so if you kill the post-bacc I can imagine you'll have some luck applying broadly, especially to those schools that - in @Goro 's words - reward reinvention. Does the post-bacc at VCU give you any kind of guaranteed interview at their med school?
 
Thanks for the clarification.

Okay here is my two cents: don't do the research master's. Spend that year working to save money and enjoying adulthood. Find something that pays decently and would give you time off for interviews with short notice. Find a volunteer gig to start before you submit AMCAS and continue doing it in your year off school. Maybe your job is medically related (scribing, CNA, etc.) or maybe it isn't - but that is my initial thought.

Your MCAT is good so if you kill the post-bacc I can imagine you'll have some luck applying broadly, especially to those schools that - in @Goro 's words - reward reinvention. Does the post-bacc at VCU give you any kind of guaranteed interview at their med school?

Yes in fact VCU offers a guaranteed interview to students who receive above a 3.5 in the program and a 508 on their MCAT.