Masters Level Courses or Re-take Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppushpak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just graduated from a top 25 university and my GPA is around a 3.0 and my sGPA a little lower at a 2.7.
I will be completing a Post-Bacc this upcoming year at VCU Cert and hope to apply next cycle.

I am wondering during my glide year should I do more upper level coursework or re-take prereqs? VCU offers you to do a masters program during your Glide year but from the description it seems as if it is more research focused than graduate courses in Biology and Chemistry. Or should I retake O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Chem, Physics, and etc.

Let me know if you need any more information!

Members don't see this ad.

I've read your post several times and I still don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking if you should take the post Bacc VERSUS doing a research-oriented masters program?
If I were you, I would focus on taking science courses (O Chem, Biol, Chem, Physics) thereby improving your cumulative undergrad GPA and science GPA. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I just graduated from a top 25 university and my GPA is around a 3.0 and my sGPA a little lower at a 2.7.
I will be completing a Post-Bacc this upcoming year at VCU Cert and hope to apply next cycle.

I am wondering during my glide year should I do more upper level coursework or re-take prereqs? VCU offers you to do a masters program during your Glide year but from the description it seems as if it is more research focused than graduate courses in Biology and Chemistry. Or should I retake O-Chem 1, O-Chem 2, Chem, Physics, and etc.

Let me know if you need any more information!
I'm confused. A "glide year" is typically the year between finishing a post-bacc and matriculating. So are you asking about once you FINISH your pre-reqs and are applying (essentially, are you asking "What is my plan for one year from now?") --> if so, then I think you're jumping the gun. Focus on doing well in the post-bacc.

If you're not asking that, I don't know what you're asking. You should be re-taking prereqs with an sGPA that low. You need to show mastery of that material.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for the confusion. I realize my message must not have been clear as I thought it was.

Yes technically my question is asking "What is my plan a year from now". I will be doing the VCU Cert Post-Bacc for sure. The Post-Bacc is followed by an optional research-oriented masters program which seems to focus heavily on developing a thesis while taking a few credits here and there.

I do agree I am jumping the gun a little and my short-term goal is definitely to succeed in the post-bacc and then apply next cycle. However, I'm trying to think a little further in advance to see what I need to do to help myself matriculate.

Like backside_attack said, with an sGPA that low many medical schools need to see my mastery of the material. I am currently doing pre-req coursework over this Summer (1 class) and planning on doing coursework this upcoming Spring Semester (1 class), and next Summer (3 classes) to finish up a majority of my pre-reqs that I did not do well in. The way my post-bacc is structured, the Spring Semester is supposed to be easier and more relaxed so the only reason I am taking 1 more class.

I am planning on applying in early next June and my thought process on the schedule of classes above is if I finish before the end of summer, I can update Medical Schools with grades if I have not heard back from them yet.

However, I'm wondering if re-taking pre-req classes will be more helpful than taking more upper-level biology or chemistry coursework aka microbiology, genetics/a thesis.

Other tidbit of information, I received a 511 (127,126,128,130) on the MCAT

Last edited:
I apologize for the confusion. I realize my message must not have been clear as I thought it was.

Yes technically my question is asking "What is my plan a year from now". I will be doing the VCU Cert Post-Bacc for sure. The Post-Bacc is followed by an optional research-oriented masters program which seems to focus heavily on developing a thesis while taking a few credits here and there.

I do agree I am jumping the gun a little and my short-term goal is definitely to succeed in the post-bacc and then apply next cycle. However, I'm trying to think a little further in advance to see what I need to do to help myself matriculate.

Like backside_attack said, with an sGPA that low many medical schools need to see my mastery of the material. I am currently doing pre-req coursework over this Summer (1 class) and planning on doing coursework this upcoming Spring Semester (1 class), and next Summer (3 classes) to finish up a majority of my pre-reqs that I did do well in. The way my post-bacc is structured, the Spring Semester is supposed to be easier and more relaxed so the only reason I am taking 1 more class.

I am planning on applying in early next June and my thought process on the schedule of classes above is if I finish before the end of summer, I can update Medical Schools with grades if I have not heard back from them yet.

However, I'm wondering if re-taking pre-req classes will be more helpful than taking more upper-level biology or chemistry coursework aka microbiology, genetics/a thesis.

Other tidbit of information, I received a 511 (127,126,128,130) on the MCAT
Thanks for the clarification.

Okay here is my two cents: don't do the research master's. Spend that year working to save money and enjoying adulthood. Find something that pays decently and would give you time off for interviews with short notice. Find a volunteer gig to start before you submit AMCAS and continue doing it in your year off school. Maybe your job is medically related (scribing, CNA, etc.) or maybe it isn't - but that is my initial thought.

Your MCAT is good so if you kill the post-bacc I can imagine you'll have some luck applying broadly, especially to those schools that - in @Goro 's words - reward reinvention. Does the post-bacc at VCU give you any kind of guaranteed interview at their med school?

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the clarification.

Okay here is my two cents: don't do the research master's. Spend that year working to save money and enjoying adulthood. Find something that pays decently and would give you time off for interviews with short notice. Find a volunteer gig to start before you submit AMCAS and continue doing it in your year off school. Maybe your job is medically related (scribing, CNA, etc.) or maybe it isn't - but that is my initial thought.

Your MCAT is good so if you kill the post-bacc I can imagine you'll have some luck applying broadly, especially to those schools that - in @Goro 's words - reward reinvention. Does the post-bacc at VCU give you any kind of guaranteed interview at their med school?

Yes in fact VCU offers a guaranteed interview to students who receive above a 3.5 in the program and a 508 on their MCAT.