masters of health care administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
your opinion of getting this degree as an alternative for internship for an unmatched 4th year who will reapply to EM?

The goal of the degree is to gain some knowledge to maybe one day be a ER director.

I am looking for alternatives to internship

Members don't see this ad.

I'd vote for intership. You need to learn how to be a doctor first
and foremost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your input but internship is not a candidate. I just got divorced and need to heal.

Understandable. I don't think we should be debating your decision here as you asked specifically for alternatives to internship, not for feedback on whether you should do internship.

I think this type of degree certainly wouldn't hurt if you're interested in administration. EM is very friendly with disciplines like public health, healthcare administration, and public policy, because honestly, we're just on the front lines and familiar with so many areas of the system. A lot of people do research to kill time before re-applying, but if it were me, I would find doing straight research for a year incredibly boring and would opt for the master's, even though it costs money instead of paying you.

One other suggestion is to check out the MPH forum on online degree programs - such programs could allow you to have a lot of spare time to work as well and be able to pay down some of the additional loans you'll have to take.

Understandable. I don't think we should be debating your decision here as you asked specifically for alternatives to internship, not for feedback on whether you should do internship.

I think this type of degree certainly wouldn't hurt if you're interested in administration. EM is very friendly with disciplines like public health, healthcare administration, and public policy, because honestly, we're just on the front lines and familiar with so many areas of the system. A lot of people do research to kill time before re-applying, but if it were me, I would find doing straight research for a year incredibly boring and would opt for the master's, even though it costs money instead of paying you.

One other suggestion is to check out the MPH forum on online degree programs - such programs could allow you to have a lot of spare time to work as well and be able to pay down some of the additional loans you'll have to take.

thx for the input

your opinion of getting this degree as an alternative for internship for an unmatched 4th year who will reapply to EM?

The goal of the degree is to gain some knowledge to maybe one day be a ER director.

I am looking for alternatives to internship
isn't a MHA a 2 yr degree? are you planning to complete the masters then reapply to EM or complete it during residency?

isn't a MHA a 2 yr degree? are you planning to complete the masters then reapply to EM or complete it during residency?

yes, during residency, it is an online degree I would be doing, at my own pace