Masters or Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamm529

Reaction score
I am graduating this spring from undergrad with a 3.3 cgpa and 3.024 sgpa with an upward trend from a rough semester the fall of 2019 due to family issues also I'm URM with years of clinical volunteer experience, taking the MCAT next week! I'm planning on applying for MD and DO programs in 2022 but now deciding if I should do a masters program or a post bacc. I was recently accepted into a masters program in public health at NYU that I genuinely am excited about and want to pursue. However, I know these grades won't factor into my undergrad GPA. Would it be more lucrative to do a years worth of post bacc classes rather than the masters program?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you mean by "more lucrative" but judging by your cGPA and sGPA, I'd say do a post-bacc. Don't use Master's programs to boost your academic credentials as med schools don't care. I only recommend Masters if you're passionate about the subject matter, or you want to boost your application with research, but don't need an academic boost to your application. If you can self-direct, do a DIY post-bacc as that is always the cheapest option and has the most flexibility as you get to pick each of your courses.

Reactions: 1 user