Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Masters Program Before Med School Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hu2017, Mar 14, 2019.

1. hu2017

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I have a few questions regarding Masters programs prior to applying to medical school. I recently was admitted to a program at Johns Hopkins that combines genetic and cellular biology with health and health policy. I also was admitted to a community health program at Stanford, which is offered by their school of medicine. A little about myself: I have a cGPA of 3.5, sGPA of 3.2, avg. MCAT (500) but I plan to retake it this summer and am hoping to score a 510- 515 or above. I also have 3 years of research experience at a top 5 school that resulted in 2 publications (1 being 2nd author). I have heard a lot about taking extra science courses to boost my GPA, but was thinking if either of these programs would be a good choice since they also offer higher level biology and chemistry courses and I would be able to get an actual degree in something I’m extremely interested in instead of just taking a few courses at the local college. I plan to incorporate clinical research into my future career as well, so that is why I also thought it may be helpful to gain some more scientific and research experience before applying to medical school. I would love the opinion of someone working in medical school admissions and from @Goro about what you think about the masters programs based on my stats and my future plans. Thank you so much!

2. Goro

Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    IF they are research MS programs, they are unlikely to help you be more competitive for MD, but will be fine for DO.

IF they are SMP-like in that you take med school (like) coursework, then they will help for both MD and DO.

3. thissuckslol

Medical Student (Accepted)
    how would research not help for both? this doesn't seem like good advice. I would say that since he already has a research experience (and a seemingly good one) that he shouldn't be focusing on just doing a research program for the sake of research. SMP like programs do help for both but beware....if you don't do well in it or alright in it you're going to be seriously in trouble when it comes time to apply.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Goro

Non-Student
    Research-based Ms programs have too much grade inflation, and this is why MD schools do not count them for GPA purposes.

Taking classes in DNA techniques, or Neuroscience seminars or Journal Club, does not help prepare one for medical school nor does it convince admission committee members that one can handle the rigors of medical school.

PinkHibiscus likes this.
  5. thissuckslol

Then avoid these altogether. This doesn't seem beneficial even for DO schools. I haven't done one myself, nor do i know anyone who has. However, I do know people who have done the SMP route and it's worked out in the end for them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PentuPenguin

PentuPenguin PerryThePlatypus

Have you considered a record-enhancing program? I pursued this option and I received 2 acceptances to medical school this cycle (note: first time applying)! PM for details if interested !! I believe that the benefit of the post-bacc is that it can enhance your undergrad GPA and it will expose you to coursework that is rigorous in basic sciences, like advanced bio for instance

molly41 likes this.
  7. meronebib

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you’re looking to make your med school app more competitive, MS programs are a waste of time and money.

Goro likes this.
  8. Goro

Non-Student
    This is my point.

9. OP
    OP
    hu2017

Pre-Medical
    Thank you all SO much for your responses! The course through JHU offers courses very similar to SMP-like programs. These include: virology, advanced cell biology, cancer biology, molecular bio and stem cell bio to name a few. They also include a lot of options for "public-health like" courses like policy and things like that. So if I were to do one program I think I would choose the JHU option based on your responses and just load my schedule with more science courses than policy. Would this be a good idea as a way to design my own SMP-like program? The program is online as well so its not as costly as most post-bacc or masters programs. I just want to make sure I'm heading down the right path before I commit to anything. So if anyone could answer this question that would be greatly appreciated!

10. molly41

Pre-Medical
    - Im interested in learning more - for my brother - how do I message you?