Master's program options for student with low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcusdental

Reaction score
I am a pre-dental student just graduating from undergraduate school. My overall GPA is 2.73 and science GPA is 2.37. I clearly have my work cut out for me if I am going to apply to dental school. I have been looking at master’s programs. Are there any master's programs that any of you would recommend? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly a masters program with linkages to dental schools. SMPs are also options which also are usually linked. It’s a high risk high reward to do an SMP and you should weigh all your options. But with your gpa below 3.0, yes some type of masters program will be your best option. Doing well in the program can give adcoms some peace of mind in that you’ve changed your habits and can handle the rigors of dental school.

Have you done any research into possible programs? Where are you regionally located?

Reactions: 1 user
I have looked into some master's programs, but very few offer linkages. I am currently located in Southern California, but I am not averse to moving. Will I have any chances of being accepted to a master's program with my current stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know cutoffs to SMPs. they might be 3.0 cutoffs. You may just have to do a masters program near you and do extremely well. It’s possible you could ask this question in the confidential forums and get a better response from some of the seasoned experts

Have you thought about doing a post bacc to bring your gpa up to a 3.0? Or do you have too many credits already?

I don’t know cutoffs to SMPs. they might be 3.0 cutoffs. You may just have to do a masters program near you and do extremely well. It’s possible you could ask this question in the confidential forums and get a better response from some of the seasoned experts

Have you thought about doing a post bacc to bring your gpa up to a 3.0? Or do you have too many credits already?
Most Master Programs do have a cutoff, and some do not. Additionally, some programs require a minimum DAT, whereas others don't require you to take the DAT. For sure, try to find a Master's/Post-bacc program that has a linkage to a dental school (ATSU, Midwestern, Colorado, Roseman, LECOM, Boston University - Master's) (Marquette, Creighton, Temple - Post-baccs) there are so many great programs out there, but you need to start applying right now. Set up some meetings with the program directors if possible and tell them your statistics, see what they think/if you would be a good fit for their program & dental school. Feel free to PM me too if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users