Reapplicant WAMC, Low GPA High DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GenericName26

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overall GPA:3.1
Science GPA:3.09
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23AA, 24TS, 21 PAT, 27 BIO, 22 GC, 24 OC, 22 RC, 18 QR
State of Residence: PA

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: None
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 706 shadowing at a general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 42 hours and ongoing with the Red Cross
200 hours as Informal Medical Interpreter
500 hours in high school at religious festivals
Employment: Lab Assistant at penn state 140 hours
Uber driver 7000 hours
Medical interpreter at Clevland Clinic 640 hours
Mechanical assembler at microchip factory 1560 hours
at McDonalds 1000 hours
Care Giver 585 hours
medical/social interpreter 1080 hours
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: None.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Cum Laude
Clark Trustee Scholarship
Newcombe Foundation Scholarship
Dean's List for 5 semesters
LOR type and strength:
1 from my biology professor and lab technician supervisor - strong
1 from orgo professor - Strong
1 from my shadowing dentist - strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I have been flagged for cheating in an online math class in 2021 at Temple University. I have taken full responsibility for it on my application. I had a difficult academic start across multiple institutions, including course repeats and some poor early grades. However. I have a 3.8 GPA in my last 70 credits at Penn State where I graduated. In my last two years, I took Genetics (A), A&P 1 and 2 (A/A), Microbiology and Immunology (A), Pathobiology (A), Orgo 1 and 2 (A/A), and Biochem (B-). I am applying to a Master's program now instead of a postbac because i have so many credits. any advice on schools, and if a masters is really the best step or should i just reapply again this cycle.
School list:


  • Boston University (GSDM)
  • Herman Ostrow
  • Howard
  • Marquette
  • Meharry
  • NYU
  • Midwestern (AZ and IL)
  • Nova Southeastern
  • Rutgers
  • Temple
  • Touro (NY)
  • Tufts
  • Louisville
  • Maryland
  • New England University
  • University of Tennessee Health
  • University of Utah
  • Virginia Commonwealth
 
Overall GPA:3.1
Science GPA:3.09
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:3.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23AA, 24TS, 21 PAT, 27 BIO, 22 GC, 24 OC, 22 RC, 18 QR
State of Residence: PA

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: None
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 706 shadowing at a general dentist
Volunteering Experience: 42 hours and ongoing with the Red Cross
200 hours as Informal Medical Interpreter
500 hours in high school at religious festivals
Employment: Lab Assistant at penn state 140 hours
Uber driver 7000 hours
Medical interpreter at Clevland Clinic 640 hours
Mechanical assembler at microchip factory 1560 hours
at McDonalds 1000 hours
Care Giver 585 hours
medical/social interpreter 1080 hours
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: None.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Cum Laude
Clark Trustee Scholarship
Newcombe Foundation Scholarship
Dean's List for 5 semesters
LOR type and strength:
1 from my biology professor and lab technician supervisor - strong
1 from orgo professor - Strong
1 from my shadowing dentist - strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I have been flagged for cheating in an online math class in 2021 at Temple University. I have taken full responsibility for it on my application. I had a difficult academic start across multiple institutions, including course repeats and some poor early grades. However. I have a 3.8 GPA in my last 70 credits at Penn State where I graduated. In my last two years, I took Genetics (A), A&P 1 and 2 (A/A), Microbiology and Immunology (A), Pathobiology (A), Orgo 1 and 2 (A/A), and Biochem (B-). I am applying to a Master's program now instead of a postbac because i have so many credits. any advice on schools, and if a masters is really the best step or should i just reapply again this cycle.
School list:


  • Boston University (GSDM)
  • Herman Ostrow
  • Howard
  • Marquette
  • Meharry
  • NYU
  • Midwestern (AZ and IL)
  • Nova Southeastern
  • Rutgers
  • Temple
  • Touro (NY)
  • Tufts
  • Louisville
  • Maryland
  • New England University
  • University of Tennessee Health
  • University of Utah
  • Virginia Commonwealth
how did you come up with this list?
 
You would be well served to do an SMP and take the year off to focus on getting a 3.8+ GPA there. You must have really bombed out to finish with a 3.0 BCP GPA if your last 70 credits were 3.8.

Did you get any interviews last cycle (or whenever you applied)? In what way do you consider yourself a minority? Why haven't you attended any recruitment sessions like the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair last week?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how did you come up with this list?
I looked for places where i was advised that there is more focus on the DAT and places where the average Gpa they accept isn’t extremely high.

Some places also focused on a holistic review of applicants but mainly i wanted to apply anywhere where there was slightest chance of acceptance
 
You would be well served to do an SMP and take the year off to focus on getting a 3.8+ GPA there. You must have really bombed out to finish with a 3.0 BCP GPA if your last 70 credits were 3.8.

Did you get any interviews last cycle (or whenever you applied)? In what way do you consider yourself a minority? Why haven't you attended any recruitment sessions like the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair last week?
Yes, my initial years I was basically a failure with my low grades but i rose up from that and got better. I have applied to masters programs in Arizona midwestern and got accepted but im still planning to apply to dental schools this cycle as well. I got no interviews last year when i applied

I am a war refugee from the middle east so i thought that was a minority. I was very busy with taking care of my parents and work that i honestly never thought about attending any dental application events but im more free now i will look for them.
 
Yes, my initial years I was basically a failure with my low grades but i rose up from that and got better. I have applied to masters programs in Arizona midwestern and got accepted but im still planning to apply to dental schools this cycle as well. I got no interviews last year when i applied

I am a war refugee from the middle east so i thought that was a minority. I was very busy with taking care of my parents and work that i honestly never thought about attending any dental application events but im more free now i will look for them.
are you a US citizen?
which schools did you apply to in the past and did you receive any interview invites?
 
I looked for places where i was advised that there is more focus on the DAT and places where the average Gpa they accept isn’t extremely high.

Some places also focused on a holistic review of applicants but mainly i wanted to apply anywhere where there was slightest chance of acceptance
you get interview invites and acceptances by having mission fit with the program
and to a much lesser extent, geography plays a role
"focus on DAT" "average gpa isn't extremely high" and "slightest chance of acceptance" is not mission fit...
 
I looked for places where i was advised that there is more focus on the DAT and places where the average Gpa they accept isn’t extremely high.

Some places also focused on a holistic review of applicants but mainly i wanted to apply anywhere where there was slightest chance of acceptance

What resource did you use to compile your list? How did you discern which schools focused on "holistic review," and did they define it?

I am a war refugee from the middle east so i thought that was a minority. I was very busy with taking care of my parents and work that i honestly never thought about attending any dental application events but im more free now i will look for them.
Not technically a race/ethnic minority, but certainly a special population. However, I would ask how you would be able to take care of your parents if you went to dental school. If you take this SMP in Arizona, who will take care of your parents, assuming they live in Pennsylvania?

Also, unless your SMP director clears you, I generally discourage anyone who is starting out in an SMP to submit an AADSAS application promising that they will do well with their first-term grades. In an SMP, your sole focus should be on your grades, and most admissions committees know this and avoid sending interview invitations out until they see that you have been successful in your SMP. That's why we generally suggest you wait until you are done before sending a new application out. See if your SMP would consider you for any internal, articulation agreement interviews with select dental schools (the SMP should be open about which schools).
 
What resource did you use to compile your list? How did you discern which schools focused on "holistic review," and did they define it?


Not technically a race/ethnic minority, but certainly a special population. However, I would ask how you would be able to take care of your parents if you went to dental school. If you take this SMP in Arizona, who will take care of your parents, assuming they live in Pennsylvania?

Also, unless your SMP director clears you, I generally discourage anyone who is starting out in an SMP to submit an AADSAS application promising that they will do well with their first-term grades. In an SMP, your sole focus should be on your grades, and most admissions committees know this and avoid sending interview invitations out until they see that you have been successful in your SMP. That's why we generally suggest you wait until you are done before sending a new application out. See if your SMP would consider you for any internal, articulation agreement interviews with select dental schools (the SMP should be open about which schools).
I looked at colleges stats, compared each other on booster prep. Others i contacted directly asking them about my situation and thier focuses. Some my pre health advisor at penn state told me to apply to.

I have gone back and paid for our old house to be rebuilt so my parents are leaving the US my brothers there will move in back and live with them, im staying here alone.

The thing is i took the DAT September of 2024 if i wait next year my DAT will be 3 years old, im afraid to retake and risk getting anything lower than my first try so im trying to apply with it before it expires.

Midwestern masters program have told me that Midwestern dental school will not be accepting me ever even if i do their masters because of my academic infraction. They are however the only masters program that have accepted me so far, though i have applied at tufts SMP program as well but no answer yet.
 
How many of the 18 schools gave you interviews last cycle? Did any of their admissions teams tell you to go for a SMP? How is your profile above different from the previous application profile? Why would you consider going to Midwestern's SMP program if you cannot take advantage of a linkage? (At least you know.)
 
How many of the 18 schools gave you interviews last cycle? Did any of their admissions teams tell you to go for a SMP? How is your profile above different from the previous application profile? Why would you consider going to Midwestern's SMP program if you cannot take advantage of a linkage? (At least you know.)
None gave me interviews, most of the ones that responded said it was the low gpa and advised me to go for SMP.

I have continued volunteering and shadowing since my last application. I have also taken more classes but my capacity is low because im not getting any financial aid anymore and their effects on my Gpa is nearly negligible but i wanted to take them to show that im still trying to improve between cycles

Midwestern is the only SMP program that have accepted me so far, i dont want to waste more time and i can use it to apply elsewhere even without a linkage.

I have applied to tufts SMP if i get an acceptance there i will use it but i have to take what im getting
 
None gave me interviews, most of the ones that responded said it was the low gpa and advised me to go for SMP.

I have continued volunteering and shadowing since my last application. I have also taken more classes but my capacity is low because im not getting any financial aid anymore and their effects on my Gpa is nearly negligible but i wanted to take them to show that im still trying to improve between cycles

Midwestern is the only SMP program that have accepted me so far, i dont want to waste more time and i can use it to apply elsewhere even without a linkage.

I have applied to tufts SMP if i get an acceptance there i will use it but i have to take what im getting
my feeling is that the masters is your best step
if you do apply this cycle, realize that your chances are still extremely slim, even after an academic update with your fall semester grades
this is due to your poor past history, especially with the academic infraction
also, a masters at this point is do or die
you need to get at least a 3.7, if not at least a 3.8 to prove to adcoms that you deserve a chance