Master's program vs associate's degree (Poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Associate's Vs Master's Degree

• 8k 2-year associates degree in arts

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 35k+ 1-year masters program

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

iRezaDH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a bit of an odd decision on how to improve my application for medical school. I will graduate in Aug with a bachelors of biomedical science. I wanted to know if it would be more beneficial for me to start a 1-year masters program to improve my application or should I get an associated degree after my bachelors to improve my undergrad GPA.

after graduation I will have:
sGPA 3.3
cGPA 3.2

My MCAT was a horrible 8/6/9. I was shocked to see that I did so bad in Biological and physical science, since all the practice MCAT exams (AAMC and Princeton) I took they were 10+. So at first I was thinking of retaking the MCAT but after couple weeks of studying for the MCAT (AGAIN) I realized there was NO WAY that I can get my verbal score to get any higher. In fact, I think my score was a fluke. 6 was the highest I have ever got! :arghh:

The reason I consider an associates degree is because I can retake all the general education courses where I originally got all C's in. This would improve my cGPA, especially for D.O schools. Also, I'm hoping that taking so many social science courses would help my reading comprehension to do good on verbal reasoning. (I will also be taking numerous psychology courses for the new MCAT) I doubt that the masters program will be any help if I keep bombing the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT.

The masters program I applied to and actually have a shot at getting in are Barry University and USF. Both of which charge 35K+ for out of state students.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help. :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in D.O. schools, i highly recommend that you just retake classes you got a C in, especially the science classes. Retaking courses is usually cheaper than doing a masters. I would try and take the MCAT again as well, D.O. schools are getting competitive each year but if you retake a semester worth of courses and get your GPA to around a 3.4 with a 27 MCAT you should get in somewhere if you apply broadly. Good luck, hope other people on this forum can give you their perspective on your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
In fact, I think my score was a fluke. 6 was the highest I have ever got! :arghh:

I doubt that the masters program will be any help if I keep bombing the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT.
A 6 is a fluke high? How is this not a major red flag to you? This should be a sign that this might not be for you - not medicine, but this path in general...

i highly recommend that you just retake classes you got a C in, especially the science classes. Retaking courses is usually cheaper than doing a masters. I would try and take the MCAT again as well
Good suggestion. I would suggest some undergrad re-takes for a semester or two (depending on how many Cs you need to replace), then an SMP. And of course, some serious soul searching for the MCAT - if you can't get a 9 on the verbal, then don't bother applying. An unbalanced MCAT (B11 V6 P11) looks just as bad as an overall low one (B10 V8 P10)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many more than the two options you list. You can do a 2nd bachelors, you can take classes a la carte, you can get a job at a university that pays tuition, you can take a break from school for one or more years.

You are exactly the kind of student Barry attracts, which is not a good thing. Barry can offer you no assurance that your time there would result in a med school acceptance.

The actual degree you get from doing more undergrad coursework makes no difference at all. I see no benefit whatever in getting an associates, unless there's some financial help vs. other options. To put this another way, you need more undergrad coursework, and if you need to be degree-seeking to get that coursework, fine, but the degree is not the point.

I would normally argue strenuously against doing community college coursework if med school is the goal. However, with your verbal score, I'll assume English is your second language. In that case, I applaud your willingness to go back and do more general coursework. I'm with robflanker that you simply must break 8 on the verbal section, or simply give up on med school. So whatever it takes for you to improve your mastery of written comprehension across various subtle and complex topics, that's what you have to do. I suggest coursework is not the only thing you need to do. You should also make sure your living and/or working environments are 100% English, surrounded by people who have college educations, and you should seek out relationships with old over-educated folks who will correct you in your comprehension and usage. This may be completely exhausting, but uncomfortable immersion is magic for fluency.

Best of luck to you.

There are many more than the two options you list. You can do a 2nd bachelors, you can take classes a la carte, you can get a job at a university that pays tuition, you can take a break from school for one or more years.

You are exactly the kind of student Barry attracts, which is not a good thing. Barry can offer you no assurance that your time there would result in a med school acceptance.

The actual degree you get from doing more undergrad coursework makes no difference at all. I see no benefit whatever in getting an associates, unless there's some financial help vs. other options. To put this another way, you need more undergrad coursework, and if you need to be degree-seeking to get that coursework, fine, but the degree is not the point.

I would normally argue strenuously against doing community college coursework if med school is the goal. However, with your verbal score, I'll assume English is your second language. In that case, I applaud your willingness to go back and do more general coursework. I'm with robflanker that you simply must break 8 on the verbal section, or simply give up on med school. So whatever it takes for you to improve your mastery of written comprehension across various subtle and complex topics, that's what you have to do. I suggest coursework is not the only thing you need to do. You should also make sure your living and/or working environments are 100% English, surrounded by people who have college educations, and you should seek out relationships with old over-educated folks who will correct you in your comprehension and usage. This may be completely exhausting, but uncomfortable immersion is magic for fluency.

Best of luck to you.

Hello Dr.MidLife,

You are correct, English is not my native language. Which is why during my college years I tried to escape as many reading/writing courses as possible ( I allowed my weak point to become even weaker). I now realize that it was a mistake. I am doing an associates degree because I loaded it with many philosophy, psychology and social science course works; I am more passionate about the skills rather than the degree. Minimum science courses just to keep the material fresh. I am very scared to be taking 4 classes per term that require a lot of reading but I feel that it is necessary... not just for MCAT but life in general. It's weird to think that I should step backwards instead of perusing a master's degree but hearing your advise, robflanker and GreyFOX's advice, I feel more comfortable denying the master's program and take a step back.

A 6 is a fluke high? How is this not a major red flag to you? This should be a sign that this might not be for you - not medicine, but this path in general...

I know my real MCAT score doesn't show it but, I'm actually good at sciences. I tutored organic chemistry and physics and I will continue to do so. My practice exams were good , too. I can't simply "take a hint" and change career options over one exam. I do appreciate your honestly and I can see why you would say that. Bold answers are sometimes necessary. Don't you think completely giving up is too extreme? I've learned what it means to work hard and I've matured a lot since the day I started college. My 1st college year GPA was 2.5 and my 4th and 5th year GPA is 4.0. After coming this far, giving up isn't all that easy...I have to try something.

Anyways, I did not include this before but, if it helps, this was my plan:
1 year of English and social science courses. Then, in summer, take GRE and apply early to a real SMP for fall 2016. (not sure how well a practice exam represents me but, I generally do better on GRE's verbal)
2nd year of psychology and social sciences. Take MCAT and apply for 2017 med schools.
I will continue to volunteer at hospital thru out the years, as well.

Again, I thank you all who took their time reading my long posts and giving their opinion. I already feel more comfortable about my plans.

I know my real MCAT score doesn't show it but, I'm actually good at sciences. I tutored organic chemistry and physics and I will continue to do so. My practice exams were good , too. I can't simply "take a hint" and change career options over one exam. I do appreciate your honestly and I can see why you would say that. Bold answers are sometimes necessary. Don't you think completely giving up is too extreme? I've learned what it means to work hard and I've matured a lot since the day I started college. My 1st college year GPA was 2.5 and my 4th and 5th year GPA is 4.0. After coming this far, giving up isn't all that easy...I have to try something.
Unfortunately that one exam is what decides you get into medical school or not. I suggested you rethink this path because at the end of the day, if you can't get an 8 or above on the verbal - you aren't going to a US medical school. I never questioned your science skills. I just want you to think long and hard, and if you believe that at the end of this 2 year plan, that you will be able to get that 8 then go ahead and do it. However, if you think you have peaked at a 6.... then you are wasting 2 years of life, and godknows how much money. It's not giving up - its being realistic with yourself. Only you know the answer to this - I'm just encouraging you to think about it, and think hard. Not just a cursory thought.

Unfortunately that one exam is what decides you get into medical school or not. I suggested you rethink this path because at the end of the day, if you can't get an 8 or above on the verbal - you aren't going to a US medical school. I never questioned your science skills. I just want you to think long and hard, and if you believe that at the end of this 2 year plan, that you will be able to get that 8 then go ahead and do it. However, if you think you have peaked at a 6.... then you are wasting 2 years of life, and godknows how much money. It's not giving up - its being realistic with yourself. Only you know the answer to this - I'm just encouraging you to think about it, and think hard. Not just a cursory thought.

I see your point. I really am hoping to achieve a much higher score on verbal by taking this path.

You are missing my point if you are using the word 'hoping'

I am using my words appropriately. I understand that taking more college courses may not help me but, it is definitely the best path to achieve my goal. My first question was simple. "Between masters program and more undergrad, which will help me most." Unless you have a better alternative, that doesn't require me giving up, I need you to be more clear.

Earlier you said I need to be "realistic." Well, I am. I only got exposed to English language 10 years ago and so far I've come a far way. Didn't have much experience that lead me to perform well for the verbal. My 2-year plan is just for that; experience something I have not before. It is a reasonable assumption to believe that it will help. Besides, it's not like getting education in something I am not good at is a "waste." I need an option that will bring the best out of me, help me improve my Verbal score and, if that doesn't work out, I could still use those skills for a different career.

Bottom line, it's too soon to say what I am capable of and what I am not.