Master's V. BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I have talked to a few PA's and they all pretty much say that the PA profession is going to the Master's level(like PT went). However, why is it that almost every friggin school a look at offers a BS still, or a graduate "certificate program"? Will these schools have to make the switch in the coming years?

Members don't see this ad.

FSUMED:

I don't know which programs you are looking at, but I do see that you are in Florida. EVERY Florida program is a Master's program. Dade Community College (in affiliation with Nova Southeastern), Univ. of Florida, Nova Southeastern, and Barry Univ. are ALL Master's degree granting programs.

As far as will others follow suit. I think that they will, yes. In fact, there was a recommendation and affirmation by the House of Delegates in 2000, that PA education is at a graduate level. I believe there was some sort of a recommendation that all PA programs should be at a Master's level in 6-years. I am not sure if it was a mandate or not. This is how it was worded:

During the 2000 House of Delegates (HOD) sessions, the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) approved resolutions regarding the graduate degree for Physician Assistants. In these resolutions the HOD recognized that PA education is conducted at the graduate level, supported the awarding of graduate level degrees for PA education, made a recommendation that the AAPA support the addition of graduate degree wording into the standards for accreditation (HOD Resolutions 2000-B-15A,15B,16A & 16B).

Although many disagree, I think that it will ultimately be a good thing for the profession.