Match Day Tears with a Kleenex

Started by HPV611
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HPV611

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to add my two cents in regarding crying on match day...I also did not get my top choice...in fact, I got my #12 pick. Obviously with only 24 unfilled Ob/Gyn positions, it was a competitive year- why I don't know. I also cried when I got my match. Not because I didn't want the program, but so many of the programs at the top of my list "BS-ed" me about how great I was and how they would love to have me. I felt deceived and lied to. The programs want to make sure that they get the students they want, and turn the match in their favor, so they play the students. They are pros at this, and we are novices because of our lack of experience. Just now I have begun to see that the program I got does fit me very well. I got so sucked into these programs I ranked on top and from what so many residents have said, the program knows if the students fits better than we do. I hope everyone who didn't match in their top 1 or 2 feels better now, because as other people wrote too, we should be thankful for the program that did pick us. And I find it utterly impossible to believe the string of people saying they matched at Mayo, Johns Hopkins, Brigham and Women's, Brown, etc...I really doubt everyone writing on this forum is matching at those places. These liars are just making everyone who reads this forum feel badly.
 
HPV611 said:
And I find it utterly impossible to believe the string of people saying they matched at Mayo, Johns Hopkins, Brigham and Women's, Brown, etc...I really doubt everyone writing on this forum is matching at those places. These liars are just making everyone who reads this forum feel badly.
I truely feel bad that you feel this way. I know some of the people who are posting that they matched at Hopkins, Mayo,& etc. I am fairly certain that they are telling the truth. I do not think that people posting are trying to make other people feel bad. If they are that just pathtic. I think you have to remember that SDN is not the whole population of 4th medical students. So, sometimes the slant can be a bit off then what it would be if the sample size was a bit bigger. Not eveyone posting here matched at a top ten program. It was a real competitive year, it seemed. When I saw that there were only 24 spots left for the scramble, I was convinced I matched at my 14th choice(the last program I ranked). The thing was, I kept telling myself it is better then scrambling. Would I have been disappointed if I matched at my 14th choice? Yes, but I still think it would be better than scrambling.
 
HPV611 said:
I just wanted to add my two cents in regarding crying on match day...I also did not get my top choice...in fact, I got my #12 pick. Obviously with only 24 unfilled Ob/Gyn positions, it was a competitive year- why I don't know. I also cried when I got my match. Not because I didn't want the program, but so many of the programs at the top of my list "BS-ed" me about how great I was and how they would love to have me. I felt deceived and lied to.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your match. Let's look at the significant upside:

1. You matched, which is much better than the alternative, especially when you consider the dearth of spots.
2. You are going to be in the field of your choice--a goal you have had for most likely a good amount of time.
3. Ultimately, YOU determine how good of a physician you will be, not your program. Just because you are not training at Hopkins does not mean that you cannot be a fantastic, exceptional physician. Read, read and read--that is what separates the exceptional physicians from the good ones.

Programs lie to applicants just as applicants lie to programs--certainly, I am not the first person to tell you. Being told 'you would make a great addition to our program', 'please consider us when formulating your ranklist' are phrases tossed around by programs to ensure that they have an adequate number of people interested.