• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow MDs-to-be, please post your residency assignment.

I'll start: Duke University Categorical

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Visit site
Status
Brown University: Categorical

Congrats everyone!

About the Ads

SoCalDreamin'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Scripps Clinic - Scripps Green Hospital
(La Jolla, California; #1 on my ROL)

Congrats to everyone on this most special day! :clap:

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Could you guys please also post what choice your match was for you, both out of the programs regardless of interview received and out of the interviews received?

Orioles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Brigham & Women's Hospital, categorical.

(first choice pre-interview, first choice post-interview)

avendesora

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

#4 on my list. Little disappointing, but it was #4 for location, not for program. Be curious if anyone has insight on why they didn't fill.
Congrats to everyone!!

ID4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Wake - program director quit, some other top people in the Medicine department have left...but should still be a solid program as far as I know

About the Ads

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
Status
As fate would have it, I'll be at Vandy, my #4 - a little surprised, but I am at peace with the whole process and can't wait to put on the long coat.

Congrats everyone.

avendesora

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Renovar
As fate would have it, I'll be at Vandy, my #4 - a little surprised, but I am at peace with the whole process and can't wait to put on the long coat.

Congrats everyone.
Hey, at least you won't have to move. Can I get a collective "F*** Michigan"? :)

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by avendesora
Hey, at least you won't have to move. Can I get a collective "F*** Michigan"? :)
Michigan screwed one of my classmates too. It's alright, like I was telling him, they have a reputation for being malignant. Bleah to working hard!!just kidding to any brown faculty members who may be reading! ;)

Also, to those people who didn't match at their no. 1 choices, remember that things have a way of working out. Who knows, you may end up meeting your future spouse or avoid being mugged and beaten up or avoid some malignant faculty member and annoying housestaff who you didn't meet during your interview day by not going to your no. 1 choice. Congrats on matching anyways!:thumbup:

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by avendesora
Dunno why, Michigan did me in too... That was my 3 choice... What's their problem?

And that includes a nice email from their associate PD, and a nice letter from the PD saying "please keep us in mind, and know that we are interested in you."

Obviously, not interested enough... Oh well.

Crypt Abscess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
Baylor University Medical Center-Dallas, #1 Choice

Renovar- I am a little surprised that you didn't match at your #1 or #2. Vandy is an awesome program though.

I think competition at the very top IM programs was very intense. A girl in the top 10 of my class with 260+ Step 1 scores, and an all around great person matched at her #2 (Duke).
Good luck to all of you.

Renovar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Crypt Abscess
Baylor University Medical Center-Dallas, #1 Choice

Renovar- I am a little surprised that you didn't match at your #1 or #2. Vandy is an awesome program though.

I think competition at the very top IM programs was very intense. A girl in the top 10 of my class with 260+ Step 1 scores, and an all around great person matched at her #2 (Duke).
Good luck to all of you.
Thanks for your confidence. Yea I was a little surprised, but considering my top 5 or 6 are all quality programs, quite honestly it was really my wanting to try something new that made me ranked it as low as 4. What surprised me even more is that none of my other classmates are going to any of those 3 programs I ranked above Vandy (UVa, NYU and Mich) so it's not like anyone bumped me out of a slot.

But I am happy with staying. We just have to make the best of whatever is handed to us, and residency gives us all a brand new beginning.

Congratulations to you too!

About the Ads

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
Good job all! :clap:

Very exciting day. :D

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
One question, or perhaps two: Am I smoking crack? I thought IM is less competitive than EM, than how come in the EM forum more applicants are getting their #1 compared to this IM forum? That's not making sense. Someone please explain.

Hop Toad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
I'll be at HOP. Must have been a premonition when I picked my Name.

Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania. 2nd choice of cities, but liked the program best.

Goober

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by cbc
One question, or perhaps two: Am I smoking crack? I thought IM is less competitive than EM, than how come in the EM forum more applicants are getting their #1 compared to this IM forum? That's not making sense. Someone please explain.
Probably because people think IM is easier so they are gunning for the top programs. While IM is easy to match into overall, the competition at top programs is still probably very high. Thus since most people are ranking these highly competitive programs they aren't going to get their #1 choice as often.

My impression for EM is that there is not a clear pecking order. There many programs that are considered good but do not have the "big name" like the academic programs in IM. Therefore the applications are much more spread out and not clustered around the top 10-20 programs.

just my 2 cents:cool:

About the Ads

ClassSwitch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status
Brigham & Women's Hospital, my first choice!

Congrats, everyone -- we did it!

Mick Turition

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
UAB for the next three years! (my 1st choice)

Congratulations to all!

PS: Attn other soon-to-be UAB 'terns--feel free to PM me.

otter41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2003
Status
University of Michigan.

#1 on my list, but it wasn't even on the radar before the interview.
Again, I'm amazed at how random some of this is. I never received any obvious letter from the program expressing explicit interest in me. I'm just hoping that the rumors about its malignancy are unfounded. Congrats everyone!

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by sanfilippo

glad to be moving,
-s.
:)
I'm kind of scared to be moving myself. I guess that I have to fly up to my program sometime between now and June to find an apartment. I'd hate to rent a place that I had never seen before. Congrats again on matching into great programs everybody! I hope that you all keep visiting sdn during residency too.

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
LOL, try moving within medical school...right after Step One! :eek: I'm going from Philly to Pittsburgh for clinical rotations. It was my choice though so I could be settled in one spot, avoid the rotations lottery and be within walking distance of the hospital. Anyway, I sure hope I can be at peace with where I end up two years from now (likely in IM or Med-Peds). Doing well on the boards will help there...

Congrats everyone on the match!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
Sanfili, wasnt your first choice in the bay area/cali? What happened there?

Originally posted by sanfilippo
univ of wisconsin

congrats to all!

glad to be moving,
-s.
:)

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
But a bunch of these EM guys are IMGs too, and they are quite satisfied over there. I'm thinking about going into EM if it's relatively less of a headache. Seems like people in this IM forum are all stressed out about residency rankings and placements, whereas IMGs are in the EM forum getting their top choice. Kind of not making real sense.

Originally posted by Goober
Probably because people think IM is easier so they are gunning for the top programs. While IM is easy to match into overall, the competition at top programs is still probably very high. Thus since most people are ranking these highly competitive programs they aren't going to get their #1 choice as often.

My impression for EM is that there is not a clear pecking order. There many programs that are considered good but do not have the "big name" like the academic programs in IM. Therefore the applications are much more spread out and not clustered around the top 10-20 programs.

just my 2 cents:cool:

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by cbc
But a bunch of these EM guys are IMGs too, and they are quite satisfied over there. I'm thinking about going into EM if it's relatively less of a headache. Seems like people in this IM forum are all stressed out about residency rankings and placements, whereas IMGs are in the EM forum getting their top choice. Kind of not making real sense.
I don't think that you should use the "headache" caused by match day as criteria for choosing your specialty. It's only one day. ;)

cbc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
More like headache during the entire 3rd and 4th yr when one begins to think about residency placement, and the entire residency, when it is time to be stuck at a non-top choice program/location.

ClassSwitch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status
CBC,

I don't think it's as important to match at your #1 choice as it is to go into a field you're happy about. I loved my #1 choice way more than anywhere else, but I honestly would have been happy at any of the programs I ranked. Also, a lot of factors you never think about come into play when making out your rank list -- e.g., the program I ranked #4 was actually in my mind a close second to my #1 place, but geographic factors involving me and my significant other caused me to rank it lower.

Seriously, first consider what you want to do with your life, and then look at all the other stuff. EM and IM are not very similar fields. The ED is not my cup of tea, and I'd rather be stuck doing IM at one of the programs I DIDN'T rank than to sacrifice what I want to do just to be at some famous hospital. You could do EM at Super Stellar Hospital #1 but be absolutely miserable simply because it's not what you really want to do.

From CBC:
>More like headache during the entire 3rd and 4th yr when one begins to
>think about residency placement, and the entire residency, when it is time to
>be stuck at a non-top choice program/location.

sanfilippo

El Gaucho Misterioso
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2002
North Country
Visit site
Status
cbc,
actually my top 2 were in chicago, but i was happy about my top 5 choices. i would have been more miserable with my bottom 3 (i had ranked a total of eight). i agree with choosing the right specialty. sure, you may have better research perks at some loftier spots but i think the caliber of training in IM is roughly equivalent and you'll work hard. i plan on subspecializing, so this is not the end of my dealing with the application process! however, not all subspecialities participate in the match. also, having found out that several classmates are going to wisconsin as well has made this even more enjoyable because we can page each other and not feel guilty about it!

;)
-s.

About the Ads