Match Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodluck888

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the Match Day scenario. On March 17, are you able to see whether you matched to both prelim year and advanced RadOnc or you only see you matched but do not know which category/specialty you matched?

Also, if we match to both prelim and advanced RadOnc, shall we expect to receive both contracts and need to fulfill the requirement of both GME office?

Usually how soon can we finish those paper work? I am planning a vacation after the match, but do not know how soon I can leave due to paper work issue from GME office. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you did not rank any back-up specialties, when you get your email that says "you matched," it will mean you matched into both a prelim/TY and radonc. As far as the contracts go, I imagine this varies by program. Both my TY and residency were Johnny-on-the-spot with those though and I remember getting them within a week of the match. Good luck!

What if we are ranking prelim/TY programs on our main match list as backups? Does the email still just say "Congratulations, you've matched"? Because that would be unfortunate to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
On Monday before match you could receive one of six messages, described in detail at: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html

"How will I know if I have matched to a program?

At 12:00 noon on Monday of Match Week, applicants can learn IF they matched to a program on their rank order list by logging in to the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System using their AAMC ID and password. Applicants will be presented with one of the following messages on the Applicant Options page:
1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including
  • Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
  • Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.
Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to an advanced position but did not match to a preliminary position listed on a supplemental rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain a preliminary position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different advanced position.

3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to a preliminary position but did not match to an advanced position listed on the primary rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain an advanced position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different preliminary position.

4. We are sorry, you did not match to any position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who did not match to a program listed on either a primary or supplemental rank order list. For applicants participating as a partner of a couple, this statement also may be displayed if the applicant listed the 999999999 program code on the primary rank order list to indicate '"No Match". Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

5. You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but did not certify a rank order list prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

6. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but was withdrawn either by the medical school or by the NRMP. Applicants who were withdrawn by the NRMP because they obtained positions through another matching service will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs."

Frightening that, despite all of my obsession regarding this situation, I managed to completely miss the FAQ that clearly explains it. My research skills are obviously in need of help.

Thanks for the post.

Frightening that, despite all of my obsession regarding this situation, I managed to completely miss the FAQ that clearly explains it. My research skills are obviously in need of help.

Thanks for the post.

Hey, at least you thought of it now. My wife and I spent the first hour on March 12th last year trying to call my dean and the NRMP to decode the message. Of course it all worked out in the end, but I had a serious stress headache afterwards.