Match/No Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Honestly this is far more important for me than Friday. Congrats to all who matched! For those who didn't, may you get great spots in the SOAP and good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Did not match. The amount of total surprise I feel tells me how incredibly overconfident I was.

Matched. Looks like the "view source" mistake isn't working this year like it did in 2014. Guess I gotta wait until Friday.

Reactions: 9 users
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Best of luck for SOAP applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Didn't match :( How hard is it to get a pgy 2 spot next year if I do a transitional year in the interim?

Just checking the data for unfilled programs, psych has done significantly "better" than many other specialties, including Radiology and Anesthesiology. I don't know if that indicates more competitiveness.

Where can this data be found for this year's match?

Also, as a PGY-1, I'm so excited to see who has matched at my program! New friends!

Reactions: 1 user
Where can this data be found for this year's match?

Also, as a PGY-1, I'm so excited to see who has matched at my program! New friends!

It's on the match website for those who matched in "My Reports".

Last edited by a moderator:
Matched. Best of luck to you guys in the SOAP. Keep the faith that you will end up where's best for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn't match :( How hard is it to get a pgy 2 spot next year if I do a transitional year in the interim?
It is doable. Depending on the exact reason for not matching, doing a transitional year could make your application stronger.

It is doable. Depending on the exact reason for not matching, doing a transitional year could make your application stronger.

I think I may have overreached in terms of ranking programs. I neglected the bottom 1/3 in the rule of thirds. How difficult is it to find good quality programs with vacant pgy2 positions? Thanks for your help.

Matched. Pleasantly surprised as I probably fell asleep during some PD talks. Not out of disrespect or boredom but chronic sleep deprivation from having a newborn.

Reactions: 4 users
Just curious if we are able to find out which programs didn't fill, instead of just regional fill?

Just curious if we are able to find out which programs didn't fill, instead of just regional fill?

Nope. There is no list of programs that didn't fill until post soap. The list of programs in the soap is available to deans offices and participants in the soap. It's a match violation to share it with anyone not in the match or the soap.

US MD -Matched! Will be happy with any of my choices!!

I believe only people in the SOAP have access to this information. I think it might even be a match violation if someone gives you the list (and you get caught, obviously).

Matched!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched! What a relief. Good luck to all going forward!

Reactions: 8 users
I believe only people in the SOAP have access to this information. I think it might even be a match violation if someone gives you the list (and you get caught, obviously).

Strange thing, really. This kind of information is very useful for future applicants to judge competitiveness before they apply. Looks like another way of how the match allows programs to cover for each other...

Strange thing, really. This kind of information is very useful for future applicants to judge competitiveness before they apply. Looks like another way of how the match allows programs to cover for each other...

They release a report a few months later that will show which specific programs didn't fill. The reason why it's not made available during the SOAP is because applicants outside of SOAP might try to contact these programs, too.

They release a report a few months later that will show which specific programs didn't fill. The reason why it's not made available during the SOAP is because applicants outside of SOAP might try to contact these programs, too.

OK thanks. I thought though the stats would only show unfilled programs after SOAP.

Not really. If there are only 8 unfilled positions out of 1353 positions distributed across 211 programs (2015 data), I don't see how that tells you much of anything--except which few programs should have interviewed a few more applicants.

do you mean prelim? Transitional years are usually very competitive vs. an IM prelim. Id be surprised if you were able to get a transitional year spot. it is much, much less competitive to get a a PGY-2 spot in psychiatry because there are far fewer applicants of variable quality (those this might involve some superstars or people from competitive specialties like rads or ortho). I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea a prelim. that said there are also far fewer PGY-2 spots so there is a limit on where you might get. you can also spin it as wanting to have a more solid foundation in general medicine before going into psychiatry.

OK thanks. I thought though the stats would only show unfilled programs after SOAP.

The NRMP releases a huge report called something like Outcomes in the Match that gives specific data about applicants who match (average scores, average number of programs ranked, etc) and who don't match. It then lists every single program in the match showing how many spots they had available and how many they filled. It's tedious to go through, but you can figure out who didn't fill.

http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

Matched! :) Best of luck to all who are in the SOAP - may you find a place where you can shine...

Reactions: 4 users
do you mean prelim? Transitional years are usually very competitive vs. an IM prelim. Id be surprised if you were able to get a transitional year spot. it is much, much less competitive to get a a PGY-2 spot in psychiatry because there are far fewer applicants of variable quality (those this might involve some superstars or people from competitive specialties like rads or ortho). I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea a prelim. that said there are also far fewer PGY-2 spots so there is a limit on where you might get. you can also spin it as wanting to have a more solid foundation in general medicine before going into psychiatry.

I appreciate the response. There's a hospital near me with a newly instituted transitional year program with 3 spots unfilled that I think I could make my way into, but I'm just worried about the number of pgy2 slots available each year and if I would be hedging bets poorly.

I appreciate the response. There's a hospital near me with a newly instituted transitional year program with 3 spots unfilled that I think I could make my way into, but I'm just worried about the number of pgy2 slots available each year and if I would be hedging bets poorly.

PGY1 spots following a transitional year are also an option. Sure, you lose a year, but you're going to likely lose a year regardless unless you luck out in the SOAP or get into one of the few PGY2 spots around. Performing well in a PGY1 year will likely help you in the match, maybe more so than delaying graduation.

Other options are to try and find a categorical slot in FM or im and the try and transfer or rematch next year... Or you could do the same with peds and if you don't find a psych slot u could apply to post peds portal programs... This only works if you're flexible on location and definitely want to do child. In any case these options give you a backup career comma but might make switching to psych slightly harder.

PGY1 spots following a transitional year are also an option. Sure, you lose a year, but you're going to likely lose a year regardless unless you luck out in the SOAP or get into one of the few PGY2 spots around. Performing well in a PGY1 year will likely help you in the match, maybe more so than delaying graduation.

I'd be fine with entering as a PGY1 (a second time) if that's an option. I feel like my shortcoming as an applicant is primarily in my "community" type OMS 3&4 rotations which would be remedied by a PGY1 year. Would my year as a PGY1 (transitional year) work toward strengthening my application when applying as a PGY1, provided I do well? If so, it's be worth the additional year to have access to programs that I didn't this year.

Last edited:
I think if you've got a good shot with a transitional program close to home, that route will at least "do no harm" for you.
Pickings are mighty slim in the SOAP for psych, I gather.

There are very very few spots available in the soap

What's up with the 467 General Surgery spots available? Does this mean Psych is more competitive than Surgery? ...Because THAT just seems weird.

Ahhh - it includes both categorical and prelim. That makes more sense. And shows how seriously I was researching my career in Gen Surg.

I also almost did surgery too, it was my first 3rd year rotation and I really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to... then psych was my 3rd rotation and completely reminded me of why I went to med school in the first place.

Matched. I switched last minute to psych, so it's really surreal seeing it made official. My premed self would be super surprised.