Match/No Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone!

If I'm not mistaken, there are roughly 10-15 SOAP spots each year for psych?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone!

If I'm not mistaken, there are roughly 10-15 SOAP spots each year for psych?

Depends on the year. Seems to be less and less each year, and it seems to be more related to how appropriately programs handled the match on their own end rather than the overall competitiveness of the field.

/anyone have the regional breakdown?

Depends on the year. Seems to be less and less each year, and it seems to be more related to how appropriately programs handled the match on their own end rather than the overall competitiveness of the field.

As curious as we all are, it is a Match violation to share that information--so just try to wait until Friday...

Members don't see this ad :)
:banana::banana::banana: matched :)

Reactions: 2 users
As curious as we all are, it is a Match violation to share that information--so just try to wait until Friday...

Agreed, I was just inquiring about previous years. But I'm pretty sure its around a dozen, give or take a few.

ah, I thought the NRMP released the breakdown of spots but not the actual list.
Agreed, I was just inquiring about previous years. But I'm pretty sure its around a dozen, give or take a few.

Previous years are floating around if you hit the googles.

Of the pgy 1 spots not filled, 7 were southern, 4 were north eastern.

This is from the match stats given out today and not embargoed, hence, not a violation. These 11 slots may or may not be available in the soap and that information is embargoed.

Reactions: 1 users
Of the pgy 1 spots not filled, 7 were southern, 4 were north eastern.

This is from the match stats given out today and not embargoed, hence, not a violation. These 11 slots may or may not be available in the soap and that information is embargoed.

yup, this is what I remember. My year, I specifically remember there were 5 midwestern spots at 2 programs

I appreciate the response. There's a hospital near me with a newly instituted transitional year program with 3 spots unfilled that I think I could make my way into, but I'm just worried about the number of pgy2 slots available each year and if I would be hedging bets poorly.
well TYs are usually more relaxed than straight prelim years so if you were able to get one then that would be great. the other good thing is they should be expecting you to look for a job so should hopefully give you some flexibility to go on interviews. The competitiveness of PGY-2 spots is much, much less than for PGY-1 spots. Thus if you can't get a PGY-2 spot (and are open to taking anything) well the outlook is grim. In terms of applying for psychiatry you would do well to apply to all the standard programs that have PGY-2 spots as standard (UW, UNM, UMM, Hopkins, Cornell etc) and those programs that frequently have PGY-2 openings (such as Hawaii, UCSD, UIC, UConn, Yale etc) and also submit a letter of interest with your CV to all programs you are interested in to let them know that you are interested in anything if comes up (as most programs that have unexpected PGY-2 spots do not advertise them). You can still apply for PGY-1 spots through the match as usual, and some programs may consider you for a PGY-2 spot if they were really interested. Anyway, don't give up as disheartening as it must be to have not matched, and take whatever you can get!

Reactions: 1 user
seems like the forecasts of several spots being available in this year's SOAP didn't happen

Wow it has been 11 years since I joined SDN.. pre-matched.

seems like the forecasts of several spots being available in this year's SOAP didn't happen

Yep. So maybe psych was relatively competitive (compared to the past years) as I had been predicting.

Lets see what happens when NRMP releases all the data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of anyone that was forecasting that...

Quite a few people have been forecasting it.

For example, post #41 -> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-six-psych-interviews.1170042/#post-17118394

But I've noticed other ppl mentionning it as well on the forum late 2015.

Not trying to argue with you, but all along I've been tooting how much more competitive psych has got over the past 2 years (while I've been getting politely burned!), and I'm interested to see if the NRMP stats for 2016 will confirm my suspicions.

So congrats to all of you that matched, well done and well deserved. Definitely no easy accomplishment.

Matched! Now to wait impatiently to find out where!

Good luck to everyone in the scramble! You deserve a great residency. Btw, scramble is such a horrible word, who came up with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Matched! Now to wait impatiently to find out where!
Someplace warm, I'm betting.

Good luck to everyone in the scramble! You deserve a great residency. Btw, scramble is such a horrible word, who came up with it?
No such thing. There is ONLY the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Process.
And don't you forget it!
;)

Congratulations everyone! You're on your way now to a great field. Psychiatry is at the heart of all kinds of medical and non-medical presentations, is at the heart of life itself I dear say.

Reactions: 4 users
Someplace warm, I'm betting.

No such thing. There is ONLY the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Process.
And don't you forget it!
;)
Actually, my circumstances have changed and I ended up ranking a cold place #1 -- though #2 and 3 are still warm. Perhaps I'll chase my dreams of cacti, desert vistas, and underserved Native Americans at the next phase of my career.

Matched yahooooooooooooooooo, good luck everyone getting their top ranks and everyone in the SOAP!! And thanks to everyone in this subforum for all their guidance through this application process!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to all who matched. Very exciting week ahead.

And best of luck to those who did not. I wish you the best of luck with SOAP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are very very few spots available in the soap

Edit: apparently we can't talk about even the soap report that everyone gets. The numbers were interesting across several specialties imo.

Oh yeah. Several specialties considered to be moderately competitive and above had more open spots than I expected. Im shocked I didn't match. Interviewed at 10 programs (some were very competitive) listed all 10. I was in a daze all day yesterday, its pretty disheartening.

Oh yeah. Several specialties considered to be moderately competitive and above had more open spots than I expected. Im shocked I didn't match. Interviewed at 10 programs (some were very competitive) listed all 10. I was in a daze all day yesterday, its pretty disheartening.

Guess I'm not so crazy with my 20+ geographically redundant interviews after all, am I?

But seriously, I'm sorry, bobby pen. I hope you snag a SOAP spot or a transitional year, even though there may be few opportunities in psych right now.

Actually, my circumstances have changed and I ended up ranking a cold place #1 -- though #2 and 3 are still warm. Perhaps I'll chase my dreams of cacti, desert vistas, and underserved Native Americans at the next phase of my career.
There are plenty of underserved Native Americans in North Dakota! ;)

There are plenty of underserved Native Americans in North Dakota! ;)
I am *definitely* not going to North Dakota... Not even free lodging and the promise of steak dinner could lure me in for an interview.

To those that didn't match, are you US graduates or IMGs? Just curious- if US grads aren't matching, that says the competitiveness of psych has definitely shot up over previous years...

Guess I'm not so crazy with my 20+ geographically redundant interviews after all, am I?

But seriously, I'm sorry, bobby pen. I hope you snag a SOAP spot or a transitional year, even though there may be few opportunities in psych right now.

No, not crazy at all its seems. Congrats to you on matching though! Hope its somewhere great!

To those that didn't match, are you US graduates or IMGs? Just curious- if US grads aren't matching, that says the competitiveness of psych has definitely shot up over previous years...

I think there are usually like 20-25 US grads who don't match in psych, I know a few at a few different schools this year but obviously I have no idea how it compares to the average in past years.

I think the competitiveness of psych has definitely increased in the same way that the competitiveness of all residencies has increased with increasing numbers of AMGs, I'm not sure if the numbers will show something disproportionate though.

I think there are usually like 20-25 US grads who don't match in psych, I know a few at a few different schools this year but obviously I have no idea how it compares to the average in past years.

I think the competitiveness of psych has definitely increased in the same way that the competitiveness of all residencies has increased with increasing numbers of AMGs, I'm not sure if the numbers will show something disproportionate though.
Given that we've already got several unmatched people here alone, the chances that these 5 would happen to all be those particular US grads are slim. So either there's an increase in unmatched US grads, or there's a few IMGs here. That's what I'm trying to figure out- a lot of US MD or even DO grads going unmatched would be new, and quite concerning for those of us interested in psych that are being educated stateside.

Given that we've already got several unmatched people here alone, the chances that these 5 would happen to all be those particular US grads are slim. So either there's an increase in unmatched US grads, or there's a few IMGs here. That's what I'm trying to figure out- a lot of US MD or even DO grads going unmatched would be new, and quite concerning for those of us interested in psych that are being educated stateside.
There may or may not have been a spike in unmatched ACGME psychiatry applicants at a certain osteopathic school this year.
Not sure how much we're allowed to talk about it, but if it could spell bad news for those of us applying next year especially since the AOA spots will start disappearing during the upcoming cycle.

Last edited:
There may or may not have been a very significant spike in unmatched ACGME psychiatry applicants at a certain osteopathic school this year.
Not sure how much we're allowed to talk about it, but if it could spell bad news for those of us applying next year especially since the AOA spots will start disappearing during the upcoming cycle.
FWIW all of the students applying psych this year at my school matched. Granted there's only 5 people I know who were applying (bc they're friends) but that's a 5/5.

You're allowed to tell anyone except a program (unless it's through r3) that you didn't match. A school can't release information about who didn't match, but there is no rule about applicants gossiping when their friends admitted to not matching.

There may or may not have been a spike in unmatched ACGME psychiatry applicants at a certain osteopathic school this year.
Could be location dependent- if they're at a certain school in California and were gunning to stay close to California, they probably didn't fare as well. Students from my school were pretty successful matching into psych from the word around campus thusfar, but we tend to apply to more rural areas that are less traditionally desirable.

Matched. Looks like the "view source" mistake isn't working this year like it did in 2014. Guess I gotta wait until Friday.

Be thankful. I was part of the 2014 group who got to see my match. I regret looking at it beforehand because it took away from the surprise and excitement of Friday (though I was THRILLED on Tuesday when I peeked).

Be thankful. I was part of the 2014 group who got to see my match. I regret looking at it beforehand because it took away from the surprise and excitement of Friday (though I was THRILLED on Tuesday when I peeked).

I'm sure a lot of us would rather know now and have no plans to attend Match Day events at our schools. For those of us with huge life changes on the horizon (selling a house, uprooting a family, a partner with a fantastic career, etc) it would be much kinder to know this information ASAP or like a month ago ;) This system seems more exciting through the lens of a younger or unattached person. I feel more excitement for my younger friends, for example, who can literally uproot and go anywhere.

Congratulations to those who have matched. And good luck to those of you who have to SOAP. This process seems so arbitrary and unfair sometimes but I hope it works out for you.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm sure a lot of us would rather know now and have no plans to attend Match Day events at our schools. For those of us with huge life changes on the horizon (selling a house, uprooting a family, a partner with a fantastic career, etc) it would be much kinder to know this information ASAP or like a month ago ;) This system seems more exciting through the lens of a younger or unattached person. I feel more excitement for my younger friends, for example, who can literally uproot and go anywhere.

Congratulations to those who have matched. And good luck to those of you who have to SOAP. This process seems so arbitrary and unfair sometimes but I hope it works out for you.

You say that now, but really 4 days isn't going to make any difference and in the grand scheme of things, what you'll remember is Friday (it's a shame you're not going to Match Day though) when you and your friends all find out. I was also an older student and understand what you're saying about uprooting, but again, 4 days won't make any difference. What they should do is streamline the whole Match process to move up earlier in the year.

I hear you on how bizarre this process is in comparison to any other job search or adult thing we do in our lives. However, I was an older student with a spouse, and I thought match day was super exciting. As noted above, too, knowing today versus knowing on Friday isn't going to change your moving plans/spouse job plans, etc.. But yes, the lack of flexibility in training sucks, especially for people who have other people in their lives who are also affected. Now Friday versus Thursday (which is what it was back in my day) seems like a nice thing because it gives those folks who don't match more time to sort things out.

On that match day note, I wonder if they'll become less popular and seem a little more insensitive as not matching becomes more and more of the norm. My understanding is that it used to be that everyone either matched or scrambled into something. In my day (2010), pretty much everyone matched or scrambled, but there were a few people who weren't so lucky. My understanding is that more and more people are going to fall into that camp in the future.

Other options are to try and find a categorical slot in FM or im and the try and transfer or rematch next year... Or you could do the same with peds and if you don't find a psych slot u could apply to post peds portal programs... This only works if you're flexible on location and definitely want to do child. In any case these options give you a backup career comma but might make switching to psych slightly harder.
Any idea how competitive post peds portal programs are?

Any idea how competitive post peds portal programs are?

Nope. My guess is not very, i would look at the websites... In any event they aren't a garuntee, but if you love peds and child psych...

I hear you on how bizarre this process is in comparison to any other job search or adult thing we do in our lives. However, I was an older student with a spouse, and I thought match day was super exciting. As noted above, too, knowing today versus knowing on Friday isn't going to change your moving plans/spouse job plans, etc.. But yes, the lack of flexibility in training sucks, especially for people who have other people in their lives who are also affected. Now Friday versus Thursday (which is what it was back in my day) seems like a nice thing because it gives those folks who don't match more time to sort things out.

On that match day note, I wonder if they'll become less popular and seem a little more insensitive as not matching becomes more and more of the norm. My understanding is that it used to be that everyone either matched or scrambled into something. In my day (2010), pretty much everyone matched or scrambled, but there were a few people who weren't so lucky. My understanding is that more and more people are going to fall into that camp in the future.

Yeah.... Our student affairs office is all glass windows and in the center of school, I think they've relocated the key people to offices that are a little more private and pulled all the blinds closed all week to be a little more respectful.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved things to be even more defensive of AMGs in the future (10+ years from now), which is obviously controversial, but when you realize how much public money goes into training you for your 4 years of medschool (even at many private schools) it's bad economics to have you sit around without a residency.

well TYs are usually more relaxed than straight prelim years so if you were able to get one then that would be great. the other good thing is they should be expecting you to look for a job so should hopefully give you some flexibility to go on interviews. The competitiveness of PGY-2 spots is much, much less than for PGY-1 spots. Thus if you can't get a PGY-2 spot (and are open to taking anything) well the outlook is grim. In terms of applying for psychiatry you would do well to apply to all the standard programs that have PGY-2 spots as standard (UW, UNM, UMM, Hopkins, Cornell etc) and those programs that frequently have PGY-2 openings (such as Hawaii, UCSD, UIC, UConn, Yale etc) and also submit a letter of interest with your CV to all programs you are interested in to let them know that you are interested in anything if comes up (as most programs that have unexpected PGY-2 spots do not advertise them). You can still apply for PGY-1 spots through the match as usual, and some programs may consider you for a PGY-2 spot if they were really interested. Anyway, don't give up as disheartening as it must be to have not matched, and take whatever you can get!

Do you know if a PGY2 position is available at all those programs you listed, typically? I did't know Hawaii had some PGY-2 positions.

Do you know if a PGY2 position is available at all those programs you listed, typically? I did't know Hawaii had some PGY-2 positions.
This may be because Hawaii is a difficult place to adjust to, people may get there and realize it's not what they bargained for, and then drop out. Just comes with the territory of being located in Hawaii, I suppose. UNM actually reserves two second-year spots for transfers from other specialties or prelim years.

There are a few very respectable psych programs that reserve 1-2 spots for PGY-2s.

Competition is always uncertain, so it's not a good strategy, but it makes for a great lifeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm married, have a kid, house to sell (and work on beforehand) plan on moving far from our current digs and I'm totally cool with the delay. It's exciting. Then again, I don't have any dog and pony show awaiting me just to open an envelope on Friday. (Cool points to my school). Just need to open an email, accept the card the gods lay before me and go out for a nice early and bloodily juicy steak dinner with the wife and kid!