Match Process

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by sistermike, Apr 30, 2002.

1. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member

Ok I am not all to familiar with the match process but I have one simple quick question, what happens when you don't match to a residency program?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. andy toth

andy toth Member

the system says "you have not matched".

according to documentation and prior life experience, it is not the end of the world if you do not match. and it may be advantageous for those people who like randomness and adventure (or those good at bargaining). the standard procedure is that you scramble; which is a series of communications the applicant has with PD's of publicized vacancies. it is like a freeform job interview at this point; best human is selected for task :p

4. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Personal experience also says not to limit oneself to the unmatched positions posted in the Match list of available spots. More often than one would expect, programs find themselves in late May and even in late June with positions that they thought were filled that suddenly become unfilled, for one reason or another. Never say never. Keep sending out info packets and keep calling programs regularly, even if it appears inordinately late. Keep the lines of communication open. To a certain extent, there are patterns in the availability of positions. Some programs regularly don't fill. Watch out for those, if you study previous years' Match lists.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. Pinky

Pinky and the Brain

at my school, a pgy-2 ophthalmology spot starting in July just opened up because someone dropped out before even getting here. the dept is now scrambling to interview candidates.