Match results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elderjack21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if military match results reflect less people chosen for "non-wartime critical specialties" residency and fellowships. Or did they choose to go ahead and lock people into contracts for specialties that they are downsizing who will only suffer as the quality of their residency dwindles from DHA takeover?

Regional command for our area says...less sub speciality billets at the hospital, less non critical specialties, more referral to network, more civilian care...more VA style medicine. They refused to address GME, but it is clearly on the chopping block. Just not clear to what extent.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched into a surgical subspecialty in the army and we found out on match day they had cut one of the spots. I haven't heard of any other instances of that happening from classmates though.

Last edited:
I'm told that the Navy list looked pretty similar for the IM subs to the past few years but Army and AF looked light. Navy selected 3 GIs which is pretty much par for the last 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm told that the Navy list looked pretty similar for the IM subs to the past few years but Army and AF looked light. Navy selected 3 GIs which is pretty much par for the last 10 years.

Looking at the overall list for Navy it appears that globally fellowships were quite low. It appears that critical care subs and in service fellowships (except for Rads) were fairly stable.

I have heard rumors that Army and Air Force cut their overall selection numbers. I have no proof of that other than current Army/AF residents discussing what they saw.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m glad to hear Navy protected the inservice fellowships while this shakes out. They can’t just be turned off and on without really harming the education.

I’m glad to hear Navy protected the inservice fellowships while this shakes out. They can’t just be turned off and on without really harming the education.
Agreed. Anesthesia filled all of our FTIS positions, thankfully, but only had one FTOS spot awarded (and that was a 2020 preselect).

One interesting difference this year is that they didn't list the applicants for cardiac anesthesia as alternates. They had alternates for things like critical care and regional. I'm not sure quite what to read into that, if anything. Usually all applicants who aren't selected, whether or not there is any spot available, are alternates. It's as if they're willing to pretend critical care could conceivably happen, somehow, but cardiac is completely off the table.

They did select someone for cardiac surgery, however.

As a cardiac anesthesiologist myself, the future of cardiac surgery in the Navy appears rather gloomy. I'm struggling to get cases at the VA. I'm fortunate in that I have enough leave on the books that I can burn about a week per month to moonlight from now until I retire. And I'm OK with that ... the supplemental income is welcome, and it keeps me current.

It might be for the best if people who want to do cardiac anesthesia fellowships left the Navy to do them. Skill maintenance and growth have become a lot harder in the last year since NMCP and NMCSD shut down their cardiac surgery programs. I honestly don't see it returning. Bethesda seems to be doing OK, but in typical Bethesda fashion, they have 6x as many staff, so I'm not sure if any single individual is going to have a sustainable case load.

I'm also a bit concerned about what the lack of fellowship selections will mean for the inservice residency programs. Our residents get plenty of cardiac exposure on their outside rotations, but ACGME does have something to say about fellowship trained faculty at programs.

Agreed. Anesthesia filled all of our FTIS positions, thankfully, but only had one FTOS spot awarded (and that was a 2020 preselect).

One interesting difference this year is that they didn't list the applicants for cardiac anesthesia as alternates. They had alternates for things like critical care and regional. I'm not sure quite what to read into that, if anything. Usually all applicants who aren't selected, whether or not there is any spot available, are alternates. It's as if they're willing to pretend critical care could conceivably happen, somehow, but cardiac is completely off the table.

They did select someone for cardiac surgery, however.

As a cardiac anesthesiologist myself, the future of cardiac surgery in the Navy appears rather gloomy. I'm struggling to get cases at the VA. I'm fortunate in that I have enough leave on the books that I can burn about a week per month to moonlight from now until I retire. And I'm OK with that ... the supplemental income is welcome, and it keeps me current.

It might be for the best if people who want to do cardiac anesthesia fellowships left the Navy to do them. Skill maintenance and growth have become a lot harder in the last year since NMCP and NMCSD shut down their cardiac surgery programs. I honestly don't see it returning. Bethesda seems to be doing OK, but in typical Bethesda fashion, they have 6x as many staff, so I'm not sure if any single individual is going to have a sustainable case load.

I'm also a bit concerned about what the lack of fellowship selections will mean for the inservice residency programs. Our residents get plenty of cardiac exposure on their outside rotations, but ACGME does have something to say about fellowship trained faculty at programs.

This is disappointing to hear with regard to cardiac anesthesia. The hospital where I have privileges will not hire any anesthesia staff that do not have “cardiac credentials” and we are not a high-volume academic center. I believe there are 3-4 cardiothoracic surgeons on staff as well as several super-specialized cardiologists doing invasive procedures such as TAVR.

I think this is for call reasons because they want everyone to be interchangeable on heart patients. It’s anecdotal and I’m not in either specialty, but I believe this “requirement” is becoming more common at hospitals that perform procedures on cardiac patients.

Another small way that changes implemented by the military will potentially affect the 90+% of -ologists that flew after their ADSO.

@pgg the “alternates for all my friends” approach was always silly. I felt that we should only select alternates who would actually get to train if someone dropped.

@pgg the “alternates for all my friends” approach was always silly. I felt that we should only select alternates who would actually get to train if someone dropped.
I don't disagree. None of these alternates in subspecialties with zero selects are going to be fellows next year. There's no one to decline an offered spot in order to make room.

I just wonder if there's anything to be read in the tea leaves of "alternates for some specialties but not others" ...

I don't disagree. None of these alternates in subspecialties with zero selects are going to be fellows next year. There's no one to decline an offered spot in order to make room.

I just wonder if there's anything to be read in the tea leaves of "alternates for some specialties but not others" ...

I get it. Could see that being true.

I saw the talking points for the FY19 special pays on Joel’s blog after a friend texted the link. I think that’s going to be very interesting.