Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Congrats to all who matched! Looking at the Regional Match statistics - it looks like only 6 Ob/gyn spots didn't fill in the match! Am I reading that right?

Members don't see this ad.

yah i noticed that too...what was it last year? i am guessing significantly more than 6?

congrats to everyone too!

wow......that's great for the specialty though.

what's the link to view those stats?

again, congrats to everyone. now i'm getting excited for thurs. afternoon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Log into your nmrp, on your left it says my reports and you get all the info for specialties and locations...

Sorry for the link..

Only 6 spots available!!! That is absurd!!!

Congratulations to all who matched

I didn't think it'd feel this good, but the truth is I was absolutely relieved after receiving the NRMP email! CONGRATULATIONS to all who matched!

I matched!

Congratulations to everyone! 6 spots left is crazy!!!!!!!!

My understanding is that it was 22 last year, and 74 the year prior. I'm not sure that you can get in without the login.

The Ob numbers are as follows:

Region: Offered: Unfilled:
Western 160 2

Central 271 0

Southern 339 4

Northeastern 385 0

Total: 1155 6

Western region: Draw a line N-S from Montana to N.Mexico - everything west included.
Central region: East of that same border to line drawn between Ohio and Pennsylvania, northern border with canada, southern border includes with Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio.
Southern region: Everything south of the states listed above, extends to east coast, includes West Virginia, Virginia.
Northeastern region: Everything east of Ohio and north of West Virginia/Virginia border with Maryland.
(sorry, couldn't get the map to copy).

I also matched!!! I can't believe that there are only 6 spots left! Congrats to all who matched and good luck on Thursday!!!

couples match worked thank goodness!! :) congrats to everyone!

I believe it was a 99.4% fill rate for OB programs this year or something close. WOW.

Does that mean OB/GYN is too hot?:laugh:

That is a ridiculously low number. Congratulations to everyone! And much luck to anyone who will be scrambling tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 were prelim on the west coast. 4 were in thh same program in virginia.

Congrats to those who matched. And I hope those who wanted Ob/Gyn were able to scramble into it. Apparently (judging from the NRMP Match 2007 report) Ob/Gyn is now a sought after specialty--with 99.48% of spots filled on the first go-round! That's comparable to some of the more (historically) competitive specialties, ie, ortho (99.67%), EM (99.54%), and Anesthesiology (97.62%). Can't wait 'til Thursday! Good luck to all!

ucla only has one prelim position though

if they had two spots...that's new...

because every year they only have one prelim spot....6 residency positions plus 1 prelim in the intern year

you can re-check the unfilled positions list on NRMP, maybe I read the numbers wrong.:rolleyes:

I don't have access to the unfilled positions -but if you look at the list of programs on NRMP there were 7 UCLA categorical positions in the quota and 2 prelim positions --- I'm assuming those were the two positions that were open. Good luck to all on Thursday!!

that's ok...it's not a big deal...i was just wondering because i rotated there and it's my first choice........... and i was quite sure there is only 1 prelim spot there. i struggled with the thought on weather or not i should rank the prelim spot....in the end, i didn't.

I was not aware of prelims in OB. I guess I didn't interview at any programs that offered them. What's the rationale behind them?

UCLA has 2 prelim spots. There is only one prelim intern currently there, as the other one found a categorical spot elsewhere early in the year and left to take it.

ok...that makes sense then

The way the prelim year was explained to me was that it can be used for different reasons:
1. need to be somewhere for a year(i guess military or advance subspecialty):)
2. did not match in a categorical ob/gyn spot:(
3. did not match into desired specialty and don't want to do IM or regular transitional year:scared: .

I am not sure the rationale of the #3 reason b/c I think an ob prelim would be more demanding and not address all the medical subjects you would need for other specialties. It certainly gives the program extra sets of hands and if you didn't match through ERAS I've heard they can either find a second year spot at another program or squeeze you into their program.

If I didn't match categorically, I would definately think about a prelim year b/c you are still doing what you love and second years spots will always open up somewhere in the country.

Hope I make sense.

Were all 4 of the spots at Wilmington?

yes, they were. pretty crazy that aside from this program...EVERY single OB program in the US filled!

yes, they were. pretty crazy that aside from this program...EVERY single OB program in the US filled!

That's really crazy... they only have 4 spots anyways - so they didn't match anyone? Good luck everybody... I hope we all end up where we want to be tomorrow!

Was there something wrong with the Wilmington program? What could it be?

Was there something wrong with the Wilmington program? What could it be?

i know nothing about this program. perhaps they didnt rank enough people? dunno.

I interviewed there, actually had them ranked #7 on my list! They seemed a little disorganized, but were nice people with good training. The biggest draw was Wilmington itself... on the coast, absolutely beautiful! I wonder if they had a list snaffu or something?

Does anyone know how many people applying to Ob were unmatched and had to scramble?

Congrats to all who matched! :)