Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Proctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused about the MS4 match process.I always hear people getting into their top 3 residency choices most of the time. Does this mean they only apply to 3 places or do they apply to multiple places and kind of pick and choose where they get to go. If someone could clarify this that'd be great.

Members don't see this ad.

They apply to multiple places and rank them according to where they would like to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets say one of your top 3 choices doesn't accept you do you go into one of the other places?
Yes, so long as
1. you ranked them
2. they ranked you
3. they did not already fill by candidates they ranked higher than you

Lets say one of your top 3 choices doesn't accept you do you go into one of the other paces?

You seem to not completely understand the matching process. I would learn much more about it, as this will be an important part of your future.

At the very least, please understand that there is no getting accepted in the match. You simply match or you do not. You don't have options, and you simply rank all programs you interviewed at, they rank you, and the best combination for all applicants and programs is created, so you only have one program offering you a position in the end. In other words, at the end of it all, you must go to whatever single program you match to.

When they say most people match at their top 3, that means of all the programs they rank, they matched at one if the programs in one of the top three positions on their rank list.