Matched But :((((((

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marasmus1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow co-residents and medical students,

I learned where I matched yesterday. I called Program Coordinator. He said they would apply H1b visa for me. I said well you know I am on J1 Research so I may not be qualified for H1b. It would be better and easier to seek for ECFMG sponsored J1. He said they don`t accept J1. I said your GME page says hospital both sponsors J1 and H1, if you matched me, an IMG, how can you say we can`t accept J1? Plus we don`t even know whether Statement of Department would approve for H1b in my case as it is much difficult visa to obtain for an IMG. I could not sleep even a second yesterday night. If they terminate match agreement , that would ruin my career.So questions;

1) Have you ever heard a case like this?

2) If the program is not willing to sponsor visa for me, who should i contact? Who would give me an advice and stand by me? ECFMG? NRMP? or AAMC?

I am super scared as I spent my career savings on residency match. And I matched!! But I don`t even know where this case would go :(

Thank You for your help

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get an H visa, that's what you want. Not all research J's have the two year home commitment. You should look at your visa and see if the 212(e) 2 year home requirement is there. If not, then you should just get an H visa if that's what they are willing to get you.

If your J has the 212(e) and you hence don't qualify for an H, then you should calmly review the situation with your program. The coordinator might be mistaken, especially since J visas are much faster / cheaper / easier to get than H's. But ultimately it is their choice. But I would doubt that they would go through the bother of voiding your match and finding someone new over something like this.

You are fool for not taking the H1b. Most people matching would be dancing on the roof if they were in your shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
First step is to check if your J1 research visa has the two years home requirement. If that is the case, you are right you cant switch to H1.
For some countries the J1 RESEARCH visa can be waived. Worth looking into that

You are fool for not taking the H1b. Most people matching would be dancing on the roof if they were in your shoes.

No need to be offensive, especially if you do not understand the point being made here---J1 research to H1B can be a no go depending on thge specifics