Advice on matching into psychiatry as an M0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilldawg3000

Reaction score
I am seeking some advice on becoming a competitive applicant for psychiatry residency. I am starting medical school August 2023 at a DO program in the Midwest. With more MD/DOs applying to psych, the field does seem to be getting more competitive. Also, I understand that people are still unsure how Step 1 going P/F will affect the match, so I want to make sure I build as competitive an application as possible. I'm not looking to match into any super competitive programs; I would just like to match into a decent program and stay in the Midwest if possible. Apart from passing Step 1, doing well on Step 2, and not failing coursework/rotations, what should I focus on?

I've heard that psychiatry is big on demonstrating interest in the field. I have been a Crisis Text Line counselor for the past couple years and have one research publication in a neuro/psych related study. I'm also planning on joining my school's Psych club once I start in the fall. Is there anything else I should be considering? Is trying to find more psych-related research opportunities worthwhile?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. As you mentioned, doing your best in preclinical, clerkships and boards should be your focus above all else. Research experience demonstrates interest in research but is not essential. Work on securing solid lors, one from outside of psych and at least two from psych attendings. When it comes time, plan your 4th year early and get in a range of experiences before interviews start. Eg inpatient rotation, CL, emergency psych. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
I am seeking some advice on becoming a competitive applicant for psychiatry residency. I am starting medical school August 2023 at a DO program in the Midwest. With more MD/DOs applying to psych, the field does seem to be getting more competitive. Also, I understand that people are still unsure how Step 1 going P/F will affect the match, so I want to make sure I build as competitive an application as possible. I'm not looking to match into any super competitive programs; I would just like to match into a decent program and stay in the Midwest if possible. Apart from passing Step 1, doing well on Step 2, and not failing coursework/rotations, what should I focus on?

I've heard that psychiatry is big on demonstrating interest in the field. I have been a Crisis Text Line counselor for the past couple years and have one research publication in a neuro/psych related study. I'm also planning on joining my school's Psych club once I start in the fall. Is there anything else I should be considering? Is trying to find more psych-related research opportunities worthwhile?

Thank you!

Continue to wrack up experiences in behavioral health, there are many options online to volunteer in a similar manner to the text line if you do some digging. Furthermore, ensure that you will be able to take Step 1 and 2. Once it goes P/F programs will have to click one button to filter those out who failed or haven’t taken it. While the Pass may not seem that important, it’s getting past the filter that matters most. Try and find other specialties you may be interested in as well. I bounce back and forth everyday between psychiatry and neurology, with family med close behind the two. Attending a DO school will make you a physician, but there are no guarantees in regards to specialty choice.

1. Stay involved in some psychiatry- and mental health-related activities during your pre-clinical years.

2. Avoid red flags (e.g., board exam failures, course failures, academic LOAs, professionalism-related disciplinary actions).

3. Find a mentor—a senior resident at a program close to your school who’s willing to offer guidance. Some state psychiatric associations have formal mentorship programs that students can sign up for.

4. Do at least 2 away rotations at the start of 4th year—certainly more than 2 if you’re not a competitive applicant. Also, when submitting residency applications, apply broadly.

Psychiatry is no longer a backup specialty for DOs, but it’s also not “the new derm.” With proper planning and half-decent academic performance, you’ll be able to comfortably match into psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
An additional point worth considering is how many AI/elective spots your school has. Many students plan to get at least one letter (psych requires 2 from psychiatrists) from their AI (generally in 4th year). However, if you are planning on getting two letters during 4th year, make sure there will be slots available. We had like 24 people apply for psych and only 4 AI spots during any given month. Hence, it was very difficult to schedule 2 clinical electives for LORs. Had I known this ahead of time, I would have been more active in having a psych-specific mentor that could have observed me clinically. This is also the time a lot of people are taking Step 2, so generally, one or more of those first four blocks is a study block.