Matched into Peds, now change of heart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go1981

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am in sort of a dilemma. I have matched into Peds for the upcoming 2008-09. Recently, I finished a radiology elective and have decided that Radiology is the field for me.

What do I do now? I have not signed my contract yet, but I know that since I have entered the Match, it is legally binding.

I believe I have two options:

1.) To somehow get out of my current contract with my Peds residency, apply this year for the 2009-10 prelim year and 2010-11 Radiology Match, and use my time off this year to save up money by working as a tutor. The advantage is that I will have enough time available for interviews. However, I believe a huge disadvantage is that radiology residency directors will see that I backed out of my Match and question my reliability.

OR

2.) Just go into my current Pediatrics residency, apply this year for the 2010-11 Radiology Match, and tell my Program Director sometime later this year that I would like to go into Radiology, and then take next year off. The advantage is that I at least honor my Match commitment somewhat by completing a year of internship. The disadvantage is that it will be difficult for me to get time off from my Pediatrics residency this year to go on interviews.

Help! Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I am in sort of a dilemma. I have matched into Peds for the upcoming 2008-09. Recently, I finished a radiology elective and have decided that Radiology is the field for me.

What do I do now? I have not signed my contract yet, but I know that since I have entered the Match, it is legally binding.

I believe I have two options:

1.) To somehow get out of my current contract with my Peds residency, apply this year for the 2009-10 prelim year and 2010-11 Radiology Match, and use my time off this year to save up money by working as a tutor. The advantage is that I will have enough time available for interviews. However, I believe a huge disadvantage is that radiology residency directors will see that I backed out of my Match and question my reliability.

OR

2.) Just go into my current Pediatrics residency, apply this year for the 2010-11 Radiology Match, and tell my Program Director sometime later this year that I would like to go into Radiology, and then take next year off. The advantage is that I at least honor my Match commitment somewhat by completing a year of internship. The disadvantage is that it will be difficult for me to get time off from my Pediatrics residency this year to go on interviews.

Help! Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed!

Are you from detroit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go talk to your peds program director and maybe even the radiology program director at your school. You may be able to squeeze into next year's match outside the match. It's at least worth a shot.

do your peds year - you may be able to find an opening in a program while you're doing peds if you're competitive... like frank said, you might be able to land a spot outside of the match. again, this is assuming that your peds year will suffice as your intern year prior to radiology. hmmm... or - if there is a transitional program where you're going - see if early on they need an extra body and maybe you can bail out of peds and complete the transitional year?

p

do your peds year - you may be able to find an opening in a program while you're doing peds if you're competitive... like frank said, you might be able to land a spot outside of the match. again, this is assuming that your peds year will suffice as your intern year prior to radiology. hmmm... or - if there is a transitional program where you're going - see if early on they need an extra body and maybe you can bail out of peds and complete the transitional year?

p

There is no need to bail on a pediatrics internship from a qualification for radiology board certification standpoint. According to the ABR you can do an internship in just about everything and be board eligible, as long as you don't exceed 3 total months of radiology, radiation oncology, and/or pathology.

Just finishing up intern year in a categorical progrm. 10 med months, 1 surgery. Already have signed the contract for next year earlier this year :confused:.

Now, I'm thinking about a switch. Would for example a rads program ever take someone who was going into a 4 year residency? More so hypothetical at this point. I would appreciate PMs from anybody who has done it and if possible even PDs out there.

Thanks to all for dealing with my posts in a time of uncertainity. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Just finishing up intern year in a categorical progrm. 10 med months, 1 surgery. Already have signed the contract for next year earlier this year :confused:.

Now, I'm thinking about a switch. Would for example a rads program ever take someone who was going into a 4 year residency? More so hypothetical at this point. I would appreciate PMs from anybody who has done it and if possible even PDs out there.

Thanks to all for dealing with my posts in a time of uncertainity. :thumbdown:thumbdown

A couple of stars have to be in alignment for this to happen. I assume you did a medicine prelim.
1. I assume you are a competitive candidate to begin with. IE you have the numbers to land a rads residency, if you were to apply this year.
2. If you are at the right place at the right time a spot miraculously opens up at your institution (from someone getting fired, resigning for personal reasons, or the program expands a spot) and you have the blessing of your current PD, you get a spot.

Otherwise,
As far as 'switch applicants' programs tend to prefer former surgery residents that have full funding and have been through the grinder of a surgical internship-- the assumption is these guys are ready to work and had good numbers to begin with. But I have seen switches from peds recently and heard of a few switches from IM.

Switches are tough to get in general, but they do happen every year. AFAIK heres the best way to do it. Cold call every possible residency you might be interested in, send them your CV and ask if they have or know of any openings. This works a lot better than trawling Auntminnie for an open position. Usually by the time its posted and you contact them the spot is already filled.

Good luck!