Matched into radiology, buy now considering changing specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darwinism

When in Rome
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I matched in a good radiology program in the mid west. However, recently as I get older find myself wanting to move out west or down south and keep trying to convince myself to wait.... But I don't want to wait anymore... It seems as a doctor all you do is plan your life for 5 years ahead at a time. Additionally, my girlfriend/ probably future wife cannot find a job with her PhD in the city I matched in. This is mostly my fault how I made my rank list, I realize. However, I'm considering other options, and even leaving radiology altogether.... (This mostly from all of the doom and gloom i hear non stop about the field of radiology and that I did not match in the location I preferred). I talked to a radiologist today who is doing a third fellowship!!! WTF! Eventually, it gets to you I guess. I really like radiology, wanted to do since my first day of medical school....don't get me wrong .. And I also went into it for life style as well, which doesn't seem as good these days from what i heat which eh doesn't bother me that much. Problem is, I have no other fields I really want to go into that are not pretty competitive (rad onc), and especially in the location I want. So should i go into a less competitive field i may not like just to live in the location i want? Im not sure the trade off is worth it. I guess I'm just rambling, but my main question to you guys is... 1) is radiology so bad anymore nobody is going into it,? I mean the statistics this year we're pitiful. This worries me 2) has anyone done or considered this sort of thing before? Quit Rads, or considered it because they matched in a location their spouse can't find a job? I just don't know what to do and it's causing me a lot of stress. 3)/CAN I EVEN QUIT AND REENTER THE MATCH IF I WANTED TO??? Any advice would be helpful.

Ya boy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
- Finding a job as a rad onc in the location that you want is harder than radiology. In some other fields it is easier and in some more difficult (compared to radiology).

- If you don't like radiology, don't do it. Go to the field that you like. Life is too short to do something that you dislike.

- Radiology is not a life-style field but it depends on your definition of life-style. Working weekends, evenings and nights have become part of radiology.

- Doing third fellowship is very very rare unless you look for something specific. We advertised for a job last year and we are in a very desirable area. The number of people with two fellowships was also (much) less than what I hear on these forums.

Now getting back to your questions.

1- If you have matched, why you care about the competitiveness of the field. Anyway the competition is less. The competitive has to do with the PERCEPTION of MEDICAL STUDENTS of a field rather than the reality of the field. ED is popular these days but 10 years into practice every ED doctor will tell you to choose radiology over ED.

2- Changing fields happen all the time. If you don't like it, don't do it. What is the pressure for your spouse to find a job right now. She can look around for a while and try to find something. I am married to a cardiologist and she could not find a job for 6 months after her fellowship was done. But eventually worked.

3- No radiology program will accept if you reenter radiology match. For other fields, they should be fine. But you have to take a look at match regulations.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to leave radiology.... What I meant was that I don't want to live in the mid west anymore, and from what I hear on this forum, the job market is so tight finding jobs in the places I want to live is very difficult. And my SO's career specialty is very location dependent, and she will likely have no chance at finding a job in the city, or even the neighboring cities which means we would have to live apart for four years... And I'm just not sure I want to do that, as I'm already an older resident to start with. By reentering the match, I realize I will not be able to do radiology, which is my major dilemma... Because I want to do radiology and not really anything else.... But for the sake of location and staying with my girl, this seems the only option. If she could find a job... At any point in this city, I would feel much better.... But there are no companies that even have positions in her field. That's the problem.... And on top of all that, people constantly telling me about the horrible job market is, where I'd have to work in Nebraska or something stupid doesn't help. Anyways, thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
- Finding a job as a rad onc in the location that you want is harder than radiology. In some other fields it is easier and in some more difficult (compared to radiology).

- If you don't like radiology, don't do it. Go to the field that you like. Life is too short to do something that you dislike.

- Radiology is not a life-style field but it depends on your definition of life-style. Working weekends, evenings and nights have become part of radiology.

- Doing third fellowship is very very rare unless you look for something specific. We advertised for a job last year and we are in a very desirable area. The number of people with two fellowships was also (much) less than what I hear on these forums.

Now getting back to your questions.

1- If you have matched, why you care about the competitiveness of the field. Anyway the competition is less. The competitive has to do with the PERCEPTION of MEDICAL STUDENTS of a field rather than the reality of the field. ED is popular these days but 10 years into practice every ED doctor will tell you to choose radiology over ED.

2- Changing fields happen all the time. If you don't like it, don't do it. What is the pressure for your spouse to find a job right now. She can look around for a while and try to find something. I am married to a cardiologist and she could not find a job for 6 months after her fellowship was done. But eventually worked.

3- No radiology program will accept if you reenter radiology match. For other fields, they should be fine. But you have to take a look at match regulations.
Does this mean that you'll likely won't match the second time if you failed the first time as well?

I don't want to leave radiology.... What I meant was that I don't want to live in the mid west anymore, and from what I hear on this forum, the job market is so tight finding jobs in the places I want to live is very difficult. And my SO's career specialty is very location dependent, and she will likely have no chance at finding a job in the city, or even the neighboring cities which means we would have to live apart for four years... And I'm just not sure I want to do that, as I'm already an older resident to start with. By reentering the match, I realize I will not be able to do radiology, which is my major dilemma... Because I want to do radiology and not really anything else.... But for the sake of location and staying with my girl, this seems the only option. If she could find a job... At any point in this city, I would feel much better.... But there are no companies that even have positions in her field. That's the problem.... And on top of all that, people constantly telling me about the horrible job market is, where I'd have to work in Nebraska or something stupid doesn't help. Anyways, thanks for the response.
You're going to make more money than her dude. Your job situation should be the priority, not hers.

I will make more money in 6 years, but she has a PhD and 2 masters degrees. She's been in school for longer than I have, and she isn't going to just be a stay at home house wife. That's my whole dilemma with this location situation... I have a year to figure it out because I'm doing my intern year, but it's really stressing me out.

I will make more money in 6 years, but she has a PhD and 2 masters degrees. She's been in school for longer than I have, and she isn't going to just be a stay at home house wife. That's my whole dilemma with this location situation... I have a year to figure it out because I'm doing my intern year, but it's really stressing me out.

Not to be a dick but what are you asking for? You put in your rank list, if you didn't want to be in the Midwest than you shouldn't have ranked the Midwest. Switching programs later is a possibility but it sounds like you are still in the medical student mindset of competitive vs noncompetitive BS. I have to doubt that you have wanted to do radiology since the first day of medical school and are now dropping all your career aspirations at the first sign of adversity. People I know who started day 1 wanting to do something and are now matched wouldn't change to another specialty for anything.

I would never make a career changing decision for a woman that I hadn't put a ring on but that's just me.

Your GF has TWO masters degrees and a PHD and can't find a job? Seriously? Is she an astronaut? I hope she is an astronaut cause that's ridiculous.

Don't hate on Nebraska, good salary, low taxes, and safe neighborhoods certainly beats a lot of the big east coast city life I have experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Not to be a dick but what are you asking for? You put in your rank list, if you didn't want to be in the Midwest than you shouldn't have ranked the Midwest. Switching programs later is a possibility but it sounds like you are still in the medical student mindset of competitive vs noncompetitive BS. I have to doubt that you have wanted to do radiology since the first day of medical school and are now dropping all your career aspirations at the first sign of adversity. People I know who started day 1 wanting to do something and are now matched wouldn't change to another specialty for anything.

I would never make a career changing decision for a woman that I hadn't put a ring on but that's just me.

Your GF has TWO masters degrees and a PHD and can't find a job? Seriously? Is she an astronaut? I hope she is an astronaut cause that's ridiculous.

Don't hate on Nebraska, good salary, low taxes, and safe neighborhoods certainly beats a lot of the big east coast city life I have experienced.

4+.

Long story short. I matched in a good radiology program in the mid west. However, recently as I get older find myself wanting to move out west or down south and keep trying to convince myself to wait.... But I don't want to wait anymore... It seems as a doctor all you do is plan your life for 5 years ahead at a time. Additionally, my girlfriend/ probably future wife cannot find a job with her PhD in the city I matched in. This is mostly my fault how I made my rank list, I realize. However, I'm considering other options, and even leaving radiology altogether.... (This mostly from all of the doom and gloom i hear non stop about the field of radiology and that I did not match in the location I preferred). I talked to a radiologist today who is doing a third fellowship!!! WTF! Eventually, it gets to you I guess. I really like radiology, wanted to do since my first day of medical school....don't get me wrong .. And I also went into it for life style as well, which doesn't seem as good these days from what i heat which eh doesn't bother me that much. Problem is, I have no other fields I really want to go into that are not pretty competitive (rad onc), and especially in the location I want. So should i go into a less competitive field i may not like just to live in the location i want? Im not sure the trade off is worth it. I guess I'm just rambling, but my main question to you guys is... 1) is radiology so bad anymore nobody is going into it,? I mean the statistics this year we're pitiful. This worries me 2) has anyone done or considered this sort of thing before? Quit Rads, or considered it because they matched in a location their spouse can't find a job? I just don't know what to do and it's causing me a lot of stress. 3)/CAN I EVEN QUIT AND REENTER THE MATCH IF I WANTED TO??? Any advice would be helpful.

Ya boy

I'm pretty sure this year's fellows from my program all got solid jobs where they wanted...word on the street is that the job markets slowly but surely getting better.

Ya boy

If you actually do want to radiology, then just do radiology. You're not likely to find a better position than the one you got during the first go-around as a senior medical student. It's going to be a hard 4-5 years, but it will be worth it.

Switching to a specialty you don't actually want to do with no guarantee of getting the location you want for a SO that you're not actually married to yet is not a good decision. I'd personally think it's a bad sign that she's even letting you consider doing this.

Yea its pretty ridiculous she has multiple higher level degrees and aspires to do something with her life other than be a doctor!!... Psh, what a loser....

Maybe I'll have a religious ceremony with some imaginary vows before an imaginary god and exchange rings made of expensive metal I can't afford.....then it will be okay to consider sacrificing or making a different career choice? Makes sense.

Just forget it. You can close this thread. Good day all.

Ya boy

What specialty are you going for OP? FM? IM? Peds?

As for the girlfriend: She is a case study on why people shouldnt pursue a liberal arts education even if they are "passionate" about it. I hope you didnt cosign on any of her loans. I hope you dont have kids together. At this point a clean break is optimal. It seems like she is preventing you from being happy and living your life OP. Being with her and bending over backwards to land a spot somewhere where she can also get an adjunct gig with her useless doctorate is stressing you much more than matching into a supposedly dying specialty. Rads is in demand and always will be. You might not make as much as radiologists did in the 2000s but your pay wont drop below that of an FP. And for some people the idea of not seeing patients is priceless.

Yea its pretty ridiculous she has multiple higher level degrees and aspires to do something with her life other than be a doctor!!... Psh, what a loser....

Maybe I'll have a religious ceremony with some imaginary vows before an imaginary god and exchange rings made of expensive metal I can't afford.....then it will be okay to consider sacrificing or making a different career choice? Makes sense.

Just forget it. You can close this thread. Good day all.

Ya boy

Why are you sacrificing your dream for her when it is clear that she is not willing to do the same for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
What specialty are you going for OP? FM? IM? Peds?

As for the girlfriend: She is a case study on why people shouldnt pursue a liberal arts education even if they are "passionate" about it. I hope you didnt cosign on any of her loans. I hope you dont have kids together. At this point a clean break is optimal. It seems like she is preventing you from being happy and living your life OP. Being with her and bending over backwards to land a spot somewhere where she can also get an adjunct gig with her useless doctorate is stressing you much more than matching into a supposedly dying specialty. Rads is in demand and always will be. You might not make as much as radiologists did in the 2000s but your pay wont drop below that of an FP. And for some people the idea of not seeing patients is priceless.

You make a lot of assumptions from up there in your ivory tower:

1. She will make plenty of money by herself, and already has...not that I care. And she has no student loans, because she had full scholarships. Good looking tho
2. Her "useless" doctorate is in chemical engineering, not liberal arts. It's no MD, but hey, the world needs ditch diggers too...am I right? Jackass
3. I'm not bending over backwards for her, I'm trying to find a solution so we can stay together.
4. I never said anything about the state of radiology. I said that everyone else on this forum and in the hospital keeps saying this **** non-stop.

I know you all say I chose the rank list, so what am I crying about? You're right, I did make the list....however, after more consideration, I started thinking maybe I made a mistake (have you ever made one of those?). Now I am stuck in a situation that is causing me significant stress. I wouldn't even switch specialties, but I know if I choose to reenter the match, I can't go back into radiology.

I just realized that none of you can understand my current situation, but thanks to those who at least tried to respond genuinely.

Ya Boy

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You make a lot of assumptions from up there in your ivory tower:

1. She will make plenty of money by herself, and already has...not that I care. And she has no student loans, because she had full scholarships. Good looking tho
2. Her "useless" doctorate is in chemical engineering, not liberal arts. It's no MD, but hey, the world needs ditch diggers too...am I right? Jackass
3. I'm not bending over backwards for her, I'm trying to find a solution so we can stay together.
4. I never said anything about the state of radiology. I said that everyone else on this forum and in the hospital keeps saying this **** non-stop.

I know you all say I chose the rank list, so what am I crying about? You're right, I did make the list....however, after more consideration, I started thinking maybe I made a mistake (have you ever made one of those?). Now I am stuck in a situation that is causing me significant stress. I wouldn't even switch specialties, but I know if I choose to reenter the match, I can't go back into radiology.

I just realized that none of you can understand my current situation, but thanks to those who at least tried to respond genuinely.

Ya Boy

Nobody knows your relationship like you do. Don't worry about what people say about it/what you should do.

Props to you for staying loyal and realizing where your priorities lie.

As for radiology, there's far too much doom and gloom on these forums. Radiology will be fine. Youll be fine if you stick with it. You may not make $600000 but you'll do very well for yourself.

If you want to move somewhere else just try to find a radiology spot outside the match and swap programs, people do that all the time. Won't be easy but harder things have been done.

I don't understand how the compatibility of your ROL with locations where she could find a job, or her willingness to accept a lesser job for 5 years during your residency, wasn't discussed ahead of time...? It seems like your options are 1) make it work with the distance 2) give up your only shot at your dream job for the rest of your life 3) have her take another job for 5 years then you can move and both have your desired jobs. IMO if she's not even considering 3 or at least hinting about a ring so she could consider 3, she probably doesn't see a future for you two, in which case it'd be worst case scenario for you to give up rads.

I don't want to give up Rads... And honestly... I wasn't trying to meet a girl because I knew I'd likely be leaving. But I did meet her, near the end of third year... And the prospect of her not finding a job in certain places was discussed, but she said to do what's best for me... (Selflessly).... And I did (selfishly) when I made my list. However, as more time passes, I realize I made a mistake and every day I become more and more attached to her. I just know I can't get back into radiology if I break my match contact. Either way, I'm ****ed.... But giving up the girl I'm likely going to marry isn't realistic to me at this point. Only question is.... Long distance relationship (probably not since I want to have kids soon), or reenter the match for another specialty. I'm just an idiot, and I'm ****ed either way. I'll let you all know what happens.

Ya boy

This thread as a whole is a great case study as to why doctors are getting their arses handed to them by the suits/mid-levels. We canabalize each other (for complaining about a system that is generally rigged against us.) The guy came asking for some help from some fellow radiologists and got eaten alive because you don't approve of his love life. Awesome!

Reactions: 8 users
stick with rads and try to find a swap to a favorable location. if you have to do an ldr in the meantime, do it. the clock keeps ticking onward and you will be reunited.

I don't want to give up Rads... And honestly... I wasn't trying to meet a girl because I knew I'd likely be leaving. But I did meet her, near the end of third year... And the prospect of her not finding a job in certain places was discussed, but she said to do what's best for me... (Selflessly).... And I did (selfishly) when I made my list. However, as more time passes, I realize I made a mistake and every day I become more and more attached to her. I just know I can't get back into radiology if I break my match contact. Either way, I'm ****ed.... But giving up the girl I'm likely going to marry isn't realistic to me at this point. Only question is.... Long distance relationship (probably not since I want to have kids soon), or reenter the match for another specialty. I'm just an idiot, and I'm ****ed either way. I'll let you all know what happens.

Ya boy

Ahh gotcha, makes more sense now that you explained the timing. Very tough call, I don't envy you at all. Good luck man.

If your gf is 8+, switch out and keep hitting it.

If she's a 6 or below, stick with radiology.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the advice you guys. Sucks, maybe I'll start the program for a year and try the swap thing because I really don't want to give up Rads. If I explain my situation maybe they'll be understanding. And Taurus, I'd only marry a 9 or better. I'll keep you all posted if interested. And one last thing, Je355 has a good point. Radiologist are always considered to be some of the nicest doctors in the hospital. We should keep it that way.

Ya Boy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
People switch spots not uncommonly. Three residents left NYU my year. MGH had 2 spots open up the year below me. Check Auntminnie resident forums for openings.

That's good to know. I'm surprised people would leave radiology, but I guess some people may have specific reasons. I don't think I'm going to, I can't really see myself doing anything else. Thanks guys!

Ya Boy

Wait, I know this thread is 5 years old but I’m so invested I need to know what happened. Did you end up staying? What happened with the girl?

Reactions: 4 users
Wait, I know this thread is 5 years old but I’m so invested I need to know what happened. Did you end up staying? What happened with the girl?

Last I heard she got her 2nd PhD and is now looking for an adjunct community college professor job in SF. OP dropped out of residency to move to SF.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Last I heard she got her 2nd PhD and is now looking for an adjunct community college professor job in SF. OP dropped out of residency to move to SF.
Ouch sunk cost. But if they are happy then who are we to judge!