Matched my 11th choice out of 16 rankings, can anyone provide insight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve321

Reaction score
So I was a DO applicant who matched into my 11th choice in the northeast. 2 if not 3 places that were higher on my list did not even rank me as they went unfilled, and that is the part I really don't understand.

I had 0 red flags that I know of. Never failed anything. Mixture of high passes and honors. Scores were >470 and >560. LORs were very good as far as I know, unless a PD lied to me. My CV was my strong part since it was incredibly stacked, maybe a bit too much.
I have also been told I interview quite well (again, could be a lie?).

Nonetheless, to not even be ranked by 3 programs and to drop to my 11th choice is a bit odd. To make things stranger, the place I matched into is not exactly easy to match into either.
I did apply to a lot of programs, and did turn down quite a few interviews.

Any possible insight or ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't give any insight, but first thing med students should know about the match process... Don't believe anyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't stress about it, my dude. There's no way anybody can give you an accurate answer to why programs higher on your list didn't rank you. If it was an issue with your letters, scores/grades, CV, etc. I would expect you to get less interviews and it sounds like you had plenty. It could be any number of incredibly nitpicky things that happened on interview day. The process is super impersonal - you meet people for like an hour and they're just looking for a reason to rank you lower or not at all. So you can't take it personally.

And knowing why other programs didn't rank you isn't going to change anything. I get wanting to understand why someone didn't like you, but YOU know yourself better than any of those interviewers do. You know your strengths and weaknesses, and you have feedback from people you've worked with longer on clerkships if you really need someone else to validate your opinions of yourself.

I know it sucks to drop on your list and it's a big hit to your self confidence. But you matched. The program you matched to obviously liked you for who you are. Enjoy your last few months of med school with your classmates, and don't worry about what someone who barely knows you, and you'll never see again, thought of you.
It's still nice to know if there's some specific weakness that could hold me back in the future. If there are specific reasons a program wouldn't rank someone, then maybe knowing them would help.
I know for a fact I have adequate social skills and that I look okay physically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really do not know about you but, I would be in cloud 9 as long as I matched. Care to share where you matched?

I get that. I'd still say there are people who are much better situated to give you honest and useful feedback about your weaknesses than some PD who has talked to you for a whole 30 minutes of your life. You yourself, your friends/classmates, your family, your attendings and residents you worked with for longer periods of time, etc.

Already asked and they were surprised too.
I'm more curious about criteria for not ranking someone seeing as how 3 places did not rank me.
I really do not know about you but, I would be in cloud 9 as long as I matched. Care to share where you matched?

Well I mentioned northeast + my stats. I'd rather not share any more info.

Note to future self: Never let them tell you that you are interviewing at too many programs. Congrats OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps your interviews didn't go as well as you thought: like maybe you have an idiosyncrasy that, unbeknownst to you, rubs people the wrong way. Or perhaps there was a perception that your personality or interests weren't a good fit for their program. I also think some places are biased toward more local candidates or biased against DOs. It might also be that your top 10 was highly competitive, and all other things being equal they ranked people from more "prestigious" schools higher. In the end it's a mystery you won't likely solve unless you end up having real problems in residency. Congratulations on matching though. Go become a great FM doc...

Reactions: 1 user
Did you take usmle step 1 or just complex? Maybe that was the problem.

Perhaps your interviews didn't go as well as you thought: like maybe you have an idiosyncrasy that, unbeknownst to you, rubs people the wrong way. Or perhaps there was a perception that your personality or interests weren't a good fit for their program. I also think some places are biased toward more local candidates or biased against DOs. It might also be that your top 10 was highly competitive, and all other things being equal they ranked people from more "prestigious" schools higher. In the end it's a mystery you won't likely solve unless you end up having real problems in residency. Congratulations on matching though. Go become a great FM doc...
First two things you mentioned are certainly possible.
However, former AOA programs which aren't competitive going unfilled...
Did you take usmle step 1 or just complex? Maybe that was the problem.
Just comlex, but don't board scores or lower scores typically affect the pre-interview stage? Hence getting a lot of invites means you're in the clear?
Also, half were dual or former AOA.

First two things you mentioned are certainly possible.
However, former AOA programs which aren't competitive going unfilled...

Just comlex, but don't board scores or lower scores typically affect the pre-interview stage? Hence getting a lot of invites means you're in the clear?
Also, half were dual or former AOA.

Board scores also go in to the ranking process.
At my program is residents interview candidates and read their personal statements, but they don’t give us the candidates scores/academic records. Sometimes us residents will really like a candidate, but the faculty will hesistant a little bit due to the candidates academic picture. I know you said your academics were good, but they are definitely a consideration in the ranking process and I’m not even at a super competitive program.

In regards to the rest of your question, you’re never really going to know, so I would just let it go. It really could be as simple as you said "like" one too many times during your interview or something like that. Sometimes people have annoying habits that are essentially benign, but do get consideration of how to rank someone.

Board scores also go in to the ranking process.
At my program is residents interview candidates and read their personal statements, but they don’t give us the candidates scores/academic records. Sometimes us residents will really like a candidate, but the faculty will hesistant a little bit due to the candidates academic picture. I know you said your academics were good, but they are definitely a consideration in the ranking process and I’m not even at a super competitive program.

In regards to the rest of your question, you’re never really going to know, so I would just let it go. It really could be as simple as you said "like" one too many times during your interview or something like that. Sometimes people have annoying habits that are essentially benign, but do get consideration of how to rank someone.
But can multiple places invite someone then decide not to rank based on the scores I had?

This seems to be a more common occurrence than I expected. I know of at least 4 people who didn’t get their top 1 choice and instead got their number 5, 8, and 10 or had to soap. For family medicine. The good programs are no longer accepting anyone with a pulse. It felt like a brutal match this year and I expect it only to get worse. At my school, most wanted to go into unopposed fm residencies and most got in but many not at their top choices.

This seems to be a more common occurrence than I expected. I know of at least 4 people who didn’t get their top 1 choice and instead got their number 5, 8, and 10 or had to soap. For family medicine. The good programs are no longer accepting anyone with a pulse. It felt like a brutal match this year and I expect it only to get worse. At my school, most wanted to go into unopposed fm residencies and most got in but many not at their top choices.
Interesting. You know someone who ranked a lot of programs and didn't match into FM? Wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if the upcoming generations of AMG med students will gravitate increasingly to FM because of a perception of better work/life balance, and it will then become a more competitive specialty.

Was your PE in at the time of interview?
No I had it done during 3rd year of med school. All my scores were submitted on Sept 15th. My lowest grade was high pass and I didn't have anything close to a negative comment on my evaluations. Dean's letter was extremely positive. My LOR writers were also known for writing at least above average letters.
As for my interview, to put it bluntly I'm not introverted or socially awkward nor overly talkative. However a lot of my interview days had candidates that fit into those categories.

I would understand not being ranked higher but not being ranked at all at multiple programs....

You've got to let it go. In all likelihood, you'll never know the truth behind why you went unranked where you did. Anything offered to you from here will be nothing but pure speculation, which gets you no closer to any real answer. Be grateful that you did match and enjoy the time and freedom that you have between now and July.

Reactions: 4 users
You've got to let it go.

Concur.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
You've got to let it go. In all likelihood, you'll never know the truth behind why you went unranked where you did. Anything offered to you from here will be nothing but pure speculation, which gets you no closer to any real answer. Be grateful that you did match and enjoy the time and freedom that you have between now and July.
Yep. My first ranked program had to scramble meaning they didn't rank me at all.

Last I checked I've been an attending for 7 years now and haven't ever been turned down for a job I tried for.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year I found out I matched to a program in the bottom half of my list. I was furious. My stats were higher than 90% of fhose applying to my field yet everyone seemed to have matched their top3.

I’m nearly done with internship and in hindsight, matching my program is one of the best thing happened to me. Internally, I feel guilty for not ranking my program top.

Bottom line, you’ve matched. By definition, you’ve succeeded.

...and let it go

Reactions: 6 users
But can multiple places invite someone then decide not to rank based on the scores I had?

Yes.
Anything is possible and you’ll never know why, so I’d just let it go.
Maybe a program wanted to soap for a variety of reasons.
You matched and all will be fine in the end.

Question unrelated to OP: how do I get ready to be a good intern? Still coasting on the match day high for now but I anticipate the panic will set in shortly lol.
why would you panic?

why would you panic?
Same reason people got nervous for MS1. We have been working towards this and now we are about to dive head first into another huge learning curve.

everything happens for a reason. What if your top ranked program actually was a terrible fit for you. You'll never know.
Just be happy you are in, and get ready for a wild ride.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the competitiveness of the NE programs? Especially the ones in NYC like Columbia?

Question unrelated to OP: how do I get ready to be a good intern? Still coasting on the match day high for now but I anticipate the panic will set in shortly lol.

Read through Crayola's posts on internship. Being a good intern isn't too hard but most people still won't follow the basics:

- Show up EARLY to rotations/be prepped on your patients
- Work hard, you can always offer to do just one more note, one more admit, if you have it in you
- Keep personal life/the drama at home
- Be professional (be nice to everyone), return pages, complete inbox tasks promptly
- It's not so much about studying in residency, as it is keeping up with your work, and reading around cases. It is a job.

You will never know why you didn't get ranked at other places. From the resident standpoint, I have seen really arbitrary reasons for not ranking people, someone gets a bad feeling or says something and that's it. I have also seen the match vary wildly - sometimes matching the 100th candidate and sometimes only put to the 20th candidate. You matched and that's what's most important. You will be free to work wherever you like afterwards; I got asked minimal details about my training when I was looking for jobs.

You will never know why you didn't get ranked at other places. From the resident standpoint, I have seen really arbitrary reasons for not ranking people, someone gets a bad feeling or says something and that's it.

I can remember not ranking people just because of some memorable quirk or faux pas (e.g., wearing a really ugly tie or farting in the elevator).