Matching academic FM with my scores

Started by Laito
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Laito

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Here are my stats:
COMLEX Level 1: 440-450 (2nd attempt)
COMLEX Level 2: 480-490
USMLE step 1: did not take yet
USMLE step 2: 225-235
Failed,successfully remediated two 1st year course.
Passed all clerkship, no honors

With my scores, do I have any chances at university based FM programs if I apply broadly? I have no geographic restrictions. Would it help if I can get >220 on step 1 (scores released by November) or should I not even bother with taking step 1. My UWSA 1 was >220, so I think I can get that score if I take it within next few weeks. I appreciate your comments.
 
University based FM programs are not what you think they are. FM is not like IM where a university based program has the potential to provide better training. For instance, for medicine inpatient, IM residents rotate at our big trauma center while our FM counterparts rotate at a community hospital. With your credentials, you can't be choosy. Take what you can get.

Not sure if step1 will help that much at this juncture.
 
If I recall correctly, UWSA1 can grossly overpredict. It overshot my score by 20 and others have reported similarly.

That said, why do you want to go to an academic FM program? Have you given thought to opposed vs unopposed, full-spectrum, in-house fellowships, call schedules, benefits, location location location? As stated above, it’s less about academic vs community programs in FM. There’s a lot of other important qualities you’re better off weighing.
 
Last edited: