Matching Anesthesiology/Gen Surg. - MD vs. DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Python Forever

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum.

I'm a nontrad premed who's been shadowing some doctors/physicians, and both anesthesia and general surgery had me captivated. Based purely on my shadowing experiences, if I'm fortunately enough to land a medical school acceptance, I'd like to further pursue my interests in these 2 fields.

Since I'm coming from a low GPA background as a nontrad (4.0 over 85 post-bacc science units though, but won't get into that), I'm looking to apply broadly to both MD and DO programs. Outside of that, I personally don't get the stigma behind DO's, and would be thrilled to attend either school.

For those attending medical schools, could you tell me a bit more about matching into one of these 2 residencies? I understand it's harder to match into more competitive residencies than MD's.

Is matching anesthesia/gen. surg. realistic for DO's with enough hard work? Is there a significant difference between matching into these 2 as MD vs. DO, or is it a slight advantage given to MD's? I've been browsing through some DO schools' match data, and it seems there are always a few that match anesthesia/general surgery.

Any insight and advice would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum.

I'm a nontrad premed who's been shadowing some doctors/physicians, and both anesthesia and general surgery had me captivated. Based purely on my shadowing experiences, if I'm fortunately enough to land a medical school acceptance, I'd like to further pursue my interests in these 2 fields.

Since I'm coming from a low GPA background as a nontrad (4.0 over 85 post-bacc science units though, but won't get into that), I'm looking to apply broadly to both MD and DO programs. Outside of that, I personally don't get the stigma behind DO's, and would be thrilled to attend either school.

For those attending medical schools, could you tell me a bit more about matching into one of these 2 residencies? I understand it's harder to match into more competitive residencies than MD's.

Is matching anesthesia/gen. surg. realistic for DO's with enough hard work? Is there a significant difference between matching into these 2 as MD vs. DO, or is it a slight advantage given to MD's? I've been browsing through some DO schools' match data, and it seems there are always a few that match anesthesia/general surgery.

Any insight and advice would be great. Thank you.
For the record, your story matches mine fairly closely (I was a low gpa nontrad with a 4.0 postbacc gpa who went in knowing I wanted to do surgery, and am now gearing up to actually do so), and I applied MD only due to the exact concerns you're voicing.

Ultimately, I decided that medical school is hard enough, and I didn't want there to be any extra pressure, nor anything making my life harder or my choices more limited while I was there.
Could you match gen surg from a DO school? Yeah. Are your options more limited than if you went to an MD school? Definitely. There are some residencies, some doors, which would essentially be closed to you. Whether or not that is fair, or appropriate, or will change in the future, etc. is irrelevant to you right now as you make this decision.

I knew that I wanted to do either surgery or a surgical subspecialty. I knew that some of the subspecialties I was considering were already a hard target for an MD student, and even more difficult as a DO. I knew also that if I did general surgery, I'd be interested in academic medicine, and that some of the fellowships that seem most interesting to me would also require not just a general surgery residency, but a competitive one.

You can always overcome a disadvantage. A DO can match a competitive specialty, or a prestigious program. A resident from a less prestigious program can enter a difficult-to-obtain fellowship. And so on. And a low-gpa nontrad can get into a mid-upper tier MD program.

For me, personally, the decision was easy. I was willing to work a little harder and even risk applying an extra cycle, in order to maximize my chances of going MD. Not because DO is inferior in any way, or that roads would necessarily be completely closed if I went that way...but because I would rather put that work in up front for medical school applications, and then have an easier time with residency and potentially fellowship applications. Applying for medical school is a harsh bottleneck, sure...but if you are unsuccessful, you can try again, and if you need extra time to boost your app (like taking 85 postbacc science units), you can take it.
Applying for residency is a different ballgame. The competition is steeper, the timeline is condensed, and you really only get one shot. I wanted to go through med school without the pressure of "if I don't get honors, my future career plans will have to change." For me, the prospect of going DO meant that I would really have to be on my game, because any slip-ups would be more limiting to me than they would coming from an MD program. I just wanted to set myself up so that achieving my goals wouldn't require beating the odds. I decided to put in the extra effort up front, when it was easier to do so.

Anyway, sorry for going on so long. It sounds like you have the ability to be successful and overcome odds. You will always have options. Just consider carefully whether you want to be asking yourself "can anyone do it?" during med school, rather than simply "can I do it?"

Reactions: 8 users
For the record, your story matches mine fairly closely (I was a low gpa nontrad with a 4.0 postbacc gpa who went in knowing I wanted to do surgery, and am now gearing up to actually do so), and I applied MD only due to the exact concerns you're voicing.

Ultimately, I decided that medical school is hard enough, and I didn't want there to be any extra pressure, nor anything making my life harder or my choices more limited while I was there.
Could you match gen surg from a DO school? Yeah. Are your options more limited than if you went to an MD school? Definitely. There are some residencies, some doors, which would essentially be closed to you. Whether or not that is fair, or appropriate, or will change in the future, etc. is irrelevant to you right now as you make this decision.

I knew that I wanted to do either surgery or a surgical subspecialty. I knew that some of the subspecialties I was considering were already a hard target for an MD student, and even more difficult as a DO. I knew also that if I did general surgery, I'd be interested in academic medicine, and that some of the fellowships that seem most interesting to me would also require not just a general surgery residency, but a competitive one.

You can always overcome a disadvantage. A DO can match a competitive specialty, or a prestigious program. A resident from a less prestigious program can enter a difficult-to-obtain fellowship. And so on. And a low-gpa nontrad can get into a mid-upper tier MD program.

For me, personally, the decision was easy. I was willing to work a little harder and even risk applying an extra cycle, in order to maximize my chances of going MD. Not because DO is inferior in any way, or that roads would necessarily be completely closed if I went that way...but because I would rather put that work in up front for medical school applications, and then have an easier time with residency and potentially fellowship applications. Applying for medical school is a harsh bottleneck, sure...but if you are unsuccessful, you can try again, and if you need extra time to boost your app (like taking 85 postbacc science units), you can take it.
Applying for residency is a different ballgame. The competition is steeper, the timeline is condensed, and you really only get one shot. I wanted to go through med school without the pressure of "if I don't get honors, my future career plans will have to change." For me, the prospect of going DO meant that I would really have to be on my game, because any slip-ups would be more limiting to me than they would coming from an MD program. I just wanted to set myself up so that achieving my goals wouldn't require beating the odds. I decided to put in the extra effort up front, when it was easier to do so.

Anyway, sorry for going on so long. It sounds like you have the ability to be successful and overcome odds. You will always have options. Just consider carefully whether you want to be asking yourself "can anyone do it?" during med school, rather than simply "can I do it?"

Thanks! Do you mind if I PM you for details of your comeback story?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Do you mind if I PM you for details of your comeback story?
Not at all, though you'll probably get a more thorough answer if you use the Search function in the Pre-MD threads to see what I posted at the time it was all happening. I think I had a WAMC thread that should be fairly easy to find and was fairly detailed (more so than I'd be able to recall right now).

You cannot overcome “anything”. The last time you can overcome anything is from undergrad to MD because even a low tier MD may get you into the best programs.

On the other hand, the door is COMPLETELY closed to DOs in some places. For example, I doubt Cornell or Columbia, or MGH gen surg will ever match a DO in the foreesable future.

You cannot overcome “anything”. The last time you can overcome anything is from undergrad to MD because even a low tier MD may get you into the best programs.

On the other hand, the door is COMPLETELY closed to DOs in some places. For example, I doubt Cornell or Columbia, or MGH gen surg will ever match a DO in the foreesable future.
Just this week, I worked with a DO surgeon who did their residency at a good MD program and a fellowship at Mayo. The paths aren't always the easiest, but as long as you aren't stuck on one specific program at one specific timeline, it's usually possible to find a way to your goal. The question is, do you want to be in a position where you have to hit that 1-in-a-million shot to succeed? Do you want your future, essentially, to rely on a lottery on top of working your butt off to be essentially perfect? Because possible ≠ probable, or even 'likely'...or even 'maybe if everything goes just right'. It just means that one person, ever, can accomplish it.

It's always best to ask whether your goals are attainable for you - with the amount of effort and misery you're willing to put in - and whether you are OK with the outcomes you risk if unsuccessful. Just asking whether something is possible is a pointless question.

Reactions: 3 users

I had the opposite mindset, rushed things, took a DO acceptance when my only "red flag" was a semi low MCAT (still got MD interviews so not too low) instead of taking extra time to do better on the MCAT and get an MD acceptance. Regret this decision substantially. Now I am a DO with good board scores and 20+ pubs with multiple first author pubs in my desired fields highest impact journal and am tripping about my odds of matching a surgical subspecialty ANYWHERE where if I was an MD I would be a shoe in and have a chance at top places. Take the time to get MD if you can.

Reactions: 6 users
I had the opposite mindset, rushed things, took a DO acceptance when my only "red flag" was a semi low MCAT (still got MD interviews so not too low) instead of taking extra time to do better on the MCAT and get an MD acceptance. Regret this decision substantially. Now I am a DO with good board scores and 20+ pubs with multiple first author pubs in my desired fields highest impact journal and am tripping about my odds of matching a surgical subspecialty ANYWHERE where if I was an MD I would be a shoe in and have a chance at top places. Take the time to get MD if you can.

It bothers me when I hear this. Im only 23, got into a DO school but I want to reapply for the MD. Everyone says its not worth an extra cycle to risk not getting in. But will my options be limiting down the road? most likely. and that is really concerning

You will be able to do gen surg or anesthesia as a DO. You can do anesthesia at a top place and you can do surg at a respectable place if you have the scores.

You will be more limited as a DO than an MD, but if all you get is a DO acceptance you don't really get to be picky anymore and you can count it as a first of many things that will be out of your control. If you are diehard Johns Hopkins gensurg or bust, then you best be getting to a strong MD program, though I suspect if you are asking this question that ship has sailed.

Going forward in the match if you want to do ENT, ortho, etc then you better get into an MD school or you are going to have a massively difficult time. For gensurg/anesthesia, take whatever acceptance you get and run with it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia is fine. You have to have decent scores as a DO. You have to breathe on an application as an MD.

Gen surgery is fine at former DO programs. If you have these specific goals and can’t get in MD, consider targeting the DO programs with associated general surgery residences. It starts to get nuts once you get out beyond those programs.

Everything is harder as a DO.

Anesthesia is fine. You have to have decent scores as a DO. You have to breathe on an application as an MD.

Gen surgery is fine at former DO programs. If you have these specific goals and can’t get in MD, consider targeting the DO programs with associated general surgery residences. It starts to get nuts once you get out beyond those programs.

Everything is harder as a DO.

Cannot emphasize the bolded enough.

To consider MD GS as a DO you effectively have to have above a 230, once you do that and get some research the match rate actually becomes 75%+ and goes all the way up to the 80s if you have research and break 240. You also have to do aways like crazy and get letters, and, like you say, heavily apply to the former DO programs. The types of the programs will also be very different than for a USMD with the same app. USMD's have a much easier time with GS than DOs. It is still a possibility for average to above average students. It's not ortho, but GS isn't something you can just walk into either. Anesthesia is possible with average scores. People from my school got a number of interviews at quality programs with 220+ this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

To consider MD GS as a DO you effectively have to have above a 230, once you do that and get some research the match rate actually becomes 75%+ and goes all the way up to the 80s if you have research and break 240. You also have to do aways like crazy and get letters, and, like you say, heavily apply to the former DO programs. The types of the programs will also be very different than for a USMD with the same app. USMD's have a much easier time with GS than DOs. It is still a possibility for average to above average students. It's not ortho, but GS isn't something you can just walk into either. Anesthesia is possible with average scores. People from my school got a number of interviews at quality programs with 220+ this cycle.

I will add that if the program is at your school and you do third year there and impress you might not have to be as impressive. But thats a lot of “ifs” and only helps you with one program.

Who’s tryna do gen surg anyway? I legitimately am dumbfounded every time I hear a fellow student say that. Must be masochists

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Who’s tryna do gen surg anyway? I legitimately am dumbfounded every time I hear a fellow student say that. Must be sadists
You can have a good life post residency but most students never see that setup because they rotate with attendings that hate themselves or inside academic centers. For lack of a better term, real life in PP is sooo much better than what 3rd year MD students see.

You can have a good life post residency but most students never see that setup because they rotate with attendings that hate themselves or inside academic centers. For lack of a better term, real life in PP is sooo much better than what 3rd year MD students see.
Im sure youre right, but i personally cant see myself going through a gen surg intern year let alone a 5 year residency. The program at my school is apparently pretty malignant tho and i can attest to that as well based on my clerkship.
Also, most people i know who want gen surg acknowledge their life will be hard, but they do it anyway. Almost like an “in your face im a harder worker than you” attitude

Who’s tryna do gen surg anyway? I legitimately am dumbfounded every time I hear a fellow student say that. Must be sadists

I hated it. I couldn’t imagine 5 years of it. The residents are miserable people where I rotated.

I had the same mindset and went to a do school. I wasn't interested in anything in particular before school. Did well on boards. I'm going into psych with no interest in academia so being a do won't hold me back from this. Still in hindsight improving my app and applying one cycle md only would have been the smarter move. If you're interested in surgery you should definitely try md first.

Speaking as a DO student, ALWAYS go MD if you can. That is universal across any specialty from NSG to FM. It will always be easier.

That being said, I matched mid tier uni anesthesia with a subpar step 1 score (no that doesn't mean for a DO, I'm saying I scored about 10 points below average).

A few of my friends applying for surgery though had a rougher time than me. Most matched into community or community/university type programs. And they were good applicants too.

Speaking as a DO student, ALWAYS go MD if you can. That is universal across any specialty from NSG to FM. It will always be easier.

That being said, I matched mid tier uni anesthesia with a subpar step 1 score (no that doesn't mean for a DO, I'm saying I scored about 10 points below average).

A few of my friends applying for surgery though had a rougher time than me. Most matched into community or community/university type programs. And they were good applicants too.

So would you recommend I turn down my DO acceptance and completely reapply MD ? Im interested in Anesthesia and apparently is very doable as a DO. The thing is most med students only rank like 11-12 places, so wouldn't I be fine if I ranked like 30 places and finesse a spot somewhere?

Let me just say this to add something here:

It is highly likely that your mind will change. A stunning number of people change their mind from what their pre-med aspirations were, or from what their only shadowing experiences were. I was in your shoes almost exactly (except trad pre-med)....saw TONS of surgery in pre-med and nothing else, thought for sure that's what I would do for the rest of my life.

Now I'm applying to Peds in the fall, LOL. Surgery is only for certain types of people. The lifestyle is unique in a good or bad way depending on who you ask. And for the record, I decided to do Peds just 3 months ago. I had Gen Surg Letters of Rec lined up, publications in surgery, etc., and decided no. It was not worth it for me because I wanted to have a better family/home vs work balance.

What I'm trying to say is this...I was just like you. I thought surgery was 100% it, and NO ONE could convince me otherwise. Your mind may change once Step 1 scores come back, or you meet some attending in another specialty that really moves you. My message is to keep an open mind. Of course, there are people who dreamt of being surgeon since 8 years old and they do it. But they are a minority.

As others have said, surgery is just plain harder (but not impossible for a DO). Anesthesia, maybe not as much.

IM, EM, FM, Peds, Psych, Neuro, and many others all take DO's regularly. Something to keep in mind.

Best of luck OP

So would you recommend I turn down my DO acceptance and completely reapply MD ? Im interested in Anesthesia and apparently is very doable as a DO. The thing is most med students only rank like 11-12 places, so wouldn't I be fine if I ranked like 30 places and finesse a spot somewhere?
Lol no don't turn it down. You'll be fine for anesthesia. Reread my post. I matched fine and I had a below average Step 1.

Don't get me wrong. You still need to do the right things. But a minor red flag won't keep you out of the running for anesthesia.

I will add that if the program is at your school and you do third year there and impress you might not have to be as impressive. But thats a lot of “ifs” and only helps you with one program.
Can attest to this. Our home program stops caring once your boards are "good enough," and they've taken people with below a 500 before so the "good enough" cutoff isn't super high. After that it is 100% the audition.

Probably not no. What are your stats and did you apply MD this cycle?

Can attest to this. Our home program stops caring once your boards are "good enough," and they've taken people with below a 500 before so the "good enough" cutoff isn't super high. After that it is 100% the audition.

Probably not no. What are your stats and did you apply MD this cycle?

GPA-3.5 MCAT-501 tons of EC's & URM. Only thing I would have to improve is MCAT. I feel like the URM card could pull me in with a decent >508. I would rather not go through all the trouble but if thats what I gotta do so be it

GPA-3.5 MCAT-501 tons of EC's & URM. Only thing I would have to improve is MCAT. I feel like the URM card could pull me in with a decent >508. I would rather not go through all the trouble but if thats what I gotta do so be it
Take the acceptance and run with it man.

Ya just take the DO. If you were 505+ I would say reapply, but going from a 501-510+ is going to be rough.

You do not need MGH, hopkins, etc to be a fine surgeon or anesthesiologist. Once you've come to term with that, I think the process would be much easier to swallow. Hell, some of those program might not even be a good fit for you anyways. Focus on being the best student as you can. Do well in class, study for boards, get research, network, kill the boards, and audition.

If you think you can do better on the MCAT you should definitely go for MD. Talk to the places where you got interviews, ask what they want you to work on specifically, make said improvements, and reapply. URM is HUGE. If you're AA you can easily get into Howard/Meharry or, if Hispanic, one of the Puerto Rico schools. Trust me, not you nor many of the people on these forums can truly appreciate how much it sucks to be a DO until they're in 4th year and getting ready to apply. It's a huge handicap to overcome. Not just the bias against the initials, but ALL the other disadvantages that come with being at a DO program that I hope you never find out about.

I don't know what you like about surgery but if you're sure you want to do it, then absolutely go MD. A bad board score can leave you dead in the water coming from a DO school but can be overcome if you're MD. It's harder to recover if you stumble as a DO, you pretty much have to be perfect from here on. Trust me, you don't need that kind of pressure as a DO going for anything moderately competitive. It's worth the extra year if you think you can do it. Your specialty interests are likely to change, especially as you gain exposure and see the extent to which just about everything besides dermatology (aw heck even dermatology) sucks. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you have to settle on a specialty you'll be miserable in. On that note, seriously, go look up what a perfusionist is. Apply to a master's program, and never think about med school ever again. That's what I wish I did.

That said, I wanted anesthesiology going in and DO has been good to me. Take USMLE, pass everything, get letters, don't commit any felonies (people be acting crazy up in here), and you'll match somewhere. I should also add that, yes, I am crazy. You'll eventually find out that anyone who wants to do anesthesiology is as well and you'll have to decide if you're stupid enough. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you think you can do better on the MCAT you should definitely go for MD. Talk to the places where you got interviews, ask what they want you to work on specifically, make said improvements, and reapply. URM is HUGE. If you're AA you can easily get into Howard/Meharry or, if Hispanic, one of the Puerto Rico schools. Trust me, not you nor many of the people on these forums can truly appreciate how much it sucks to be a DO until they're in 4th year and getting ready to apply. It's a huge handicap to overcome. Not just the bias against the initials, but ALL the other disadvantages that come with being at a DO program that I hope you never find out about.

I don't know what you like about surgery but if you're sure you want to do it, then absolutely go MD. A bad board score can leave you dead in the water coming from a DO school but can be overcome if you're MD. It's harder to recover if you stumble as a DO, you pretty much have to be perfect from here on. Trust me, you don't need that kind of pressure as a DO going for anything moderately competitive. It's worth the extra year if you think you can do it. Your specialty interests are likely to change, especially as you gain exposure and see the extent to which just about everything besides dermatology (aw heck even dermatology) sucks. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you have to settle on a specialty you'll be miserable in. On that note, seriously, go look up what a perfusionist is. Apply to a master's program, and never think about med school ever again. That's what I wish I did.

That said, I wanted anesthesiology going in and DO has been good to me. Take USMLE, pass everything, get letters, don't commit any felonies (people be acting crazy up in here), and you'll match somewhere. I should also add that, yes, I am crazy. You'll eventually find out that anyone who wants to do anesthesiology is as well and you'll have to decide if you're mentally depraved enough. Good luck!
Mentally depraved?...