Matching financial aid offers - does it work? Odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytokine2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been offered an incredible financial aid package from a top 20 school, and I'm holding a spot at another, waiting on their package to be offered to me...

I've let school #2 know that school #1 has offered me a full tuition scholarship. What are the odds that they will improve their offer, or try to match it given that they're in direct competition with school #1? I much prefer school #2.

Members don't see this ad.

I could see them matching it, but I doubt they'll do much more than give you a full tuition scholarship as well. And congrats on getting such an amazing offer!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! :) I never even heard of a full scholarship to medical school :O

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've been offered an incredible financial aid package from a top 20 school, and I'm holding a spot at another, waiting on their package to be offered to me...

I've let school #2 know that school #1 has offered me a full tuition scholarship. What are the odds that they will improve their offer, or try to match it given that they're in direct competition with school #1? I much prefer school #2.
Totally school-dependent. I got lucky and mine (also full, for what it's worth) got matched. Feel free to message if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am absolutely appalled that people could have such powerful applications to medical school that a school actually gives them a full-ride. I have no idea where to even begin to start building an application like that and I'm getting ready for my app cycle soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't you get pulled from the waitlist there? If memory serves me...

If so, then low odds.

Congratulations! :) I never even heard of a full scholarship to medical school :O
Well, to be clear it covers *tuition* - not the cost of living. So it's still going to have me in $120K+ of debt by the end of all this, but the offer is nonetheless incredible!

I am absolutely appalled that people could have such powerful applications to medical school that a school actually gives them a full-ride. I have no idea where to even begin to start building an application like that and I'm getting ready for my app cycle soon.
This scholarship is actually need-based! Rest assured, I do not have the stats for a merit scholarship of that kind. And as mentioned previously, it covers tuition, but not cost of living so there will still be loans for me! They're just somewhat less scary (as much as one can say that for $120K).

I was able to get my scholarship matched after sending a polite email to the financial aid office. I think it is school dependent but worst case is they say no, right?

Reactions: 2 users
There is no harm in asking. The worst that can happen is you get a politely worded, "no."

As mentioned, these kinds of things are hard to "predict" as they're dependent on the school you're talking about as well as the individual that is requesting more scholarship money. Some schools are very amenable to handing out scholarship money and matching offers from other schools. Others aren't. In general, more competitive applicants are more likely to receive these kinds of awards. Less competitive applicants are less likely to receive an award or have their awards matched.

Ultimately, you should just e-mail the admissions office and see what happens. Send a polite, humble e-mail stating your case, perhaps throw in a few good lines in there about why you'd really prefer to be at that school over your options, and explain the importance of financial considerations in your decision. Remember that scholarships are recruitment tools: if a school is really interested in you (and if you've been accepted, they likely are), they'll find a way to get extra money to you. If they aren't, then they'll use those limited resources on someone else they'd rather have in their class. Either way, there's no harm in asking, and it could be the most money per hour you ever make in your life. Low risk, high reward - easy decision.