Matching into DR but potentially interested in IR -- options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to add too much confusion, but regarding the integrated vs ESIR pathway, I have met a few PDs who stated that you will actually get less IR exposure through the integrated pathway compared to ESIR, and this is comparing the pathways within their institution. At these (few places) they were able to give their R4s 9 months of IR, whereas the new pathway only allows 6 months of IR in R4 if I (or the PDs) are not mistaken. Beware of the call schedule for the IR integrated pathway, some places are putting you on diagnostic nightfloat for 1-2 months in the R4 year, these kinds of things can vary a lot between institutions and can cut into your IR time in R4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that this is really the biggest problem with combined IR/DR. IR residents would be better served by having more IR rotations throughout the diagnostic years, and by taking the CORE in R4 or early R5. This wouldn't really hurt anyone, but it would make it more difficult to switch internally from IR to DR.

A few programs do a good job with this, but it really is a minority. I have seen a few programs where IR residents do a half-day IR continuity clinic throughout the entire residency. I think these will probably end up providing the best integration of DR and IR training in the long run.

Very interesting idea to have a continuity clinic for 5 or 6 years. Do you know which program incorporated that?

Not to add too much confusion, but regarding the integrated vs ESIR pathway, I have met a few PDs who stated that you will actually get less IR exposure through the integrated pathway compared to ESIR, and this is comparing the pathways within their institution. At these (few places) they were able to give their R4s 9 months of IR, whereas the new pathway only allows 6 months of IR in R4 if I (or the PDs) are not mistaken. Beware of the call schedule for the IR integrated pathway, some places are putting you on diagnostic nightfloat for 1-2 months in the R4 year, these kinds of things can vary a lot between institutions and can cut into your IR time in R4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This makes me think that this variability in schedules should be transparent to medical students and posted somewhere , perhaps SIR? . Hopefully students are able to discern these important variances as they make these difficult decisions.

Very interesting idea to have a continuity clinic for 5 or 6 years. Do you know which program incorporated that?

Can't remember exactly which program it was. Will try to check my notes later