Matching into Integrated Pediatric Surgery vs Traditional Pathway (Non-US)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Baby Yoda

Medical Intern, MBBS
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am a senior medical student (MBBS-6) who is currently doing his final year. I am planning to apply to general pediatric surgery next year. I finished a 3-month rotation at my home institution and working with them currently on multiple projects including research and some clinical educational content (basically extra fluff).

I always wondered about the integrated pathway vs traditional, especially in a model that is only known or exists in Europe and some other countries. Aka a model that north America does not or has not adopted yet.

my questions are:

1- What are the cons/pros of such a pathway in comparison to the traditional pathway?

2- What can I do to match (other than local board scores), to show my eagerness to specifically match pediatric surgery.


I talked to all my local residents (literally all of them lol, count them on my hands) and some PDs and higher-ups and it is all mixed. So I want you guys to shine a light and give me your perspective. I know you mostly talk or have experience with integrated vascular/pastic, but please do and contribute what you can. Any perspective is valuable to me.