Matching into plastics from a low-tier med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliteeli

2 Time Super Bowl MVP
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am currently an MS3 at a "low-tier" med school. I scored a 262 on Step 1 and for reference (although I know it is not relevant) scored in the "100th national percentile" on my medicine shelf exam (my only rotation thus far). What I mean is that if I were coming from a top school, I would potentially be considered a great candidate if my research, AOA, letters, etc. all pan out. Unfortunately, I know that medicine can be a snobby profession, and I am worried that no matter how good my application ultimately ends up being, I won't get consideration at plastics programs since I'm coming from a low-tier med school. Is this the case? Is it virtually impossible to get in from a low tier med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope, doesn't matter. Do you have a home department? You'll need strong letters. Seems like most people matched at places they rotated, so at least 1-2 away rotations is probably prudent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all! My school does have a home plastics department, but no residency program.
What about research? I don't have any PRS specific research to date. Would it make sense for me to take a research year or should try to find a study or 2 I can get involved in/publish before I apply?

Reactions: 1 user
You do need to publish or even get abstracts in. You don't necessarily need to take a research year to accomplish that.