Matching into plastics from a low-tier med school

Started by eliteeli
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eliteeli

2 Time Super Bowl MVP
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I am currently an MS3 at a "low-tier" med school. I scored a 262 on Step 1 and for reference (although I know it is not relevant) scored in the "100th national percentile" on my medicine shelf exam (my only rotation thus far). What I mean is that if I were coming from a top school, I would potentially be considered a great candidate if my research, AOA, letters, etc. all pan out. Unfortunately, I know that medicine can be a snobby profession, and I am worried that no matter how good my application ultimately ends up being, I won't get consideration at plastics programs since I'm coming from a low-tier med school. Is this the case? Is it virtually impossible to get in from a low tier med school?
 
Last edited:
Nope, doesn't matter. Do you have a home department? You'll need strong letters. Seems like most people matched at places they rotated, so at least 1-2 away rotations is probably prudent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks all! My school does have a home plastics department, but no residency program.
What about research? I don't have any PRS specific research to date. Would it make sense for me to take a research year or should try to find a study or 2 I can get involved in/publish before I apply?
 
You do need to publish or even get abstracts in. You don't necessarily need to take a research year to accomplish that.