Matching into Top Programs without PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a preclinical student who is potentially interested in RadOnc. Although I go to a school with a strong radiation oncology department, it seems like a very large percentage of the residents have MD/PhDs. Although the MD/PhD pathway was something I had considered, I was not ready at the age of 21 (when I applied) to make the 8 year commitment to getting both degrees. However, I am strongly considering taking a year off to do research, hopefully through an NIH/Howard Hughes/other program . My question is, is it realistically possible to match into one of the top radiation oncology residencies with either no time off to do research or with 1 year of full time research? It seems that there are some programs that do not take any non-MD/PhDs at all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I should add even for "top" programs you dont typically need a PhD.

It is definitely possible to match without a dual degree. It certainly does help to have one, but it can be done without it. If you look at past match lists, the top programs take plain old MDs that are often 1) their own students, 2) from top medical schools with top rad onc programs, 3) students with a proven interest in research (i.e. publications) AND a great academic record.

It sounds like you likely have at least the first 2 going fo you. Getting something like the Howard Hughes fellowship would probably seal the deal, but it isn't required by any mean. If you have good scores, you can still do well with a good clinical rad onc project; i.e. no time off.