Matching to FM in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How high are the stakes for matching FM in the city of Chicago and near suburbs? I'm aware FM isn't that competitive and Chicago's competitiveness generally is medium-ish.
The thing is, I really like need to be able to match in Chicago or suburbs for personal reasons. I'm not taking my ass to Kansas or Minnesota or some crap. I'm applying to about 21 programs in the region.
I have nothing really going for me besides scores being average. I didn't do that much volunteering (I did some, like 20 hours lol) but I'm trying to get back into it before apps get sent out.
My step 1 was 233 and I passed PE 1st time (thanking my higher power for that). I have no red flags and I think I'm in the top 50% of my class or something.
I speak Spanish and do choral singing professionally which is like my one unique thing I guess.
My family is all 100% in chicago.
I have no research.
LOR's are fine
I just feel like the competition has really picked up especially with Chicago being in a lot of peoples' minds in terms of where they want to do residency and practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone that matched in Chicago for FM but coincidentally they did an elective with the program and the program loved them. It sounds like you will probably be ok though.