maternity leave during residency program in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfb440

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if they give maternity leave during your speciality program in NY and if yes, for how long. I also would like to know what do you think the reaction of the course director regarding pregnancy and delivery issues especially if your due will be by the begining of the course.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the specialty that you are considered. I know it would be frowned upon in OMFS, but they would still likely have to comply with whatever laws are in place. Endo, perio, ortho and gpr may be different stories.

I'm sure they have standard time for maternity leave as required by law.

Whether or not they will be happy about it is another story. If you are due at the start of the program, doing the math isn't very hard. If I were a director I'd be a little upset if an applicant withheld the fact that she were pregnant during interviews. Then again, I don't blame you for what you did...after all, they may not have ranked you as high and it would have been discrimination on their part, and it's not your responsibility to divulge that info. Unfortunately the toughest time to miss is the beginning.

Good luck

as mentioned, it will vary by program, by speciality.

In a 1 year GPR... often some of the time off has to be made up at end of the year.

In multiyear programs you often have enough time off to use, but if not, they too may have to extend the program to met requirements.