Maternity leave as a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparklyfairy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Really would love some advice. I just graduated dental school in May and I just found out that I am actually one month pregnant.

I am very worried about how physically this is going to be like so if anyone has gone through this and can give me advice/intel please do!
- Do I tell the job I am starting that I am pregnant right now?
- Do I get 3 months maternity leave? Do most jobs as dentists offer that? Not sure how I will approach asking for that.
- I am so worried about my skills as I already feel I have had so much time off especially as a fresh grad and did not want to make my mentor's job harder as I am already a fresh grad and now pregnant wanting leave.

Any advice and help from the mommy dentists out there would help a lot, thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You should tell your job ASAP so arrangements can be made. Regarding maternity leave, what does your contract say?

Questions...
1) Are you an employee (W2) or a contractor (1099)?
2) Which has the highest priority in your life (and Dad's life), Being a Mommy or being a Dentist?
3) What is your support system like?

Hey all!

Really would love some advice. I just graduated dental school in May and I just found out that I am actually one month pregnant.

I am very worried about how physically this is going to be like so if anyone has gone through this and can give me advice/intel please do!
- Do I tell the job I am starting that I am pregnant right now?
- Do I get 3 months maternity leave? Do most jobs as dentists offer that? Not sure how I will approach asking for that.
- I am so worried about my skills as I already feel I have had so much time off especially as a fresh grad and did not want to make my mentor's job harder as I am already a fresh grad and now pregnant wanting leave.

Any advice and help from the mommy dentists out there would help a lot, thank you

1) I would probably tell the office you are expecting

2) Most offices DO NOT offer maternity leave- especially private practice. If you are hired as a corporate or community health- I think "maybe" there is some maternity leave? There is maternity leave paid by the state depending where you work. However this also depends on what status your W2/I9 is. If you are W2- I think its pretty much guaranteed leave- but if its I9 you might be out of luck. No leave or pay.

3) Focus on your health/future kid/family. My boss was pregnant prepping crowns til she gave birth. Literally. However she was the boss of the office- and as the owner- you can't really leave. Regardless, you won't ever lose your dental skills. It might be hard to "come back," especially since you never really had much in the first place- but you will gain them regardless. Your health comes first and if you feel like prepping til 6-9 months isn't doable then you have the free will to quit or ask for early leave.

Regardless congrats!

Reactions: 2 users