MAth Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chyactnate

SGU SVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really horrible at math, so I was wondering what were the classes that you took that can fill the prereg. I know that a lot of schools look at calculus, but I was wondering the alternatives to that. Any help would be great...THANKS in advance:D

Members don't see this ad.

Your right most schools want a year of calculus --note this doesn't have to be whatever the full sequence is at your school I did the first two courses of a three course intro to calculus series which was fine. If you take the intro route your first semester will likely be pre-calculus and a little bit of calc. Some schools will also accept statistics. I would check with the specific schools you want to apply to.

Good luck.

Look into the schools you are thinking about applying to. Some schools would rather you have statistics over calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, be sure you don't take more then you need to. I took calc 1 "for fun" - haha. It wasn't exactly a GPA booster. :rolleyes:

I don't know what schools you're looking at but I was qualified to apply to the 7 schools I applied to this past cycle without ever taking calculus. If you are thinking about going that route you still definitely need to take statistics. Depending on how you are at that, I'd recommend finding a bio-stats class to take at your school rather than general statistics (it at least puts everything in a context relative to what you're studying in your other pre-reqs). That aside, you do need to work on becoming more confident in your math skills. I don't know how others on here feel but I think math and science are very closely linked and it's worth learning. Beside that, you will need to be able to make calculations when prescribing/ administering meds, etc in the future.

UF requires Stats AND Calc I know that.

Thanks that as helped a lot.:)

you'll almost certainly have to take a stats class....ask kids at your college that have taken it. Most colleges offer different stats classes (for example we have biostats, math stats, psych stats, management stats) and some of them are a lot harder than others. Some of them can be very, very easy...I took biostats and you didn't actually have to know much math because of how the professor taught the class (but that will vary by school, of course).