Math Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gucci Row

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did three years of civil engineering before I realized it wasn't for me. In the process, I took several math class. I aced Calculus I,II,III, and Linear Algebra, but the last one I took, Differential equations, made no sense to me and I got a D. Will this be lumped into my science GPA, and if so, will schools look deep enough into my transcript to see that the culprit is a class well beyond what is required for D school?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. I pulled C's in calcIII, lin alg, and diff eqns. It was never mentioned at my interviews. Your D is ofcourse lower but it's only one grade. they may just ask what happened to see how you explain a failure. I don't think it will have any impact on your acceptances.
And yes, it will be included in your sciGPA. But you should have enough sci classes as a predent/engineering major to well offset it.

I agree with SanOnofre2002 about how your math grades are part of your sci gpa.

I am a career changer from engineering to dental, and I also did terrible in diff eq. I struggled to get a C+ in the class. Anyway, what the d-schools are going to care about is your overall sci gpa, and especially how well you do in chem and bio classes. I already have a masters in Mech Eng, and my impression was that the d-schools didn't care that much about my eng classes, all they cared about was how well I transitioned into bio and chem.

I was able to get into 4 d-schools with a few poor grades in Mech Eng classes and the C+ in diff eq.

You'll be fine as long as you do well in Bio and chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a math major with a GPA of 2.5 (including 1 F and at least 1 D in math courses - complex analysis and diff equations, respectively). If you have enough real science with strong work, it's easy to overcome.

Cool...Thanks folks. I won't worry about it too much then.