Math Grades

Gucci Row

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
So I did three years of civil engineering before I realized it wasn't for me. In the process, I took several math class. I aced Calculus I,II,III, and Linear Algebra, but the last one I took, Differential equations, made no sense to me and I got a D. Will this be lumped into my science GPA, and if so, will schools look deep enough into my transcript to see that the culprit is a class well beyond what is required for D school?

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
  1. Non-Student
Don't sweat it. I pulled C's in calcIII, lin alg, and diff eqns. It was never mentioned at my interviews. Your D is ofcourse lower but it's only one grade. they may just ask what happened to see how you explain a failure. I don't think it will have any impact on your acceptances.
And yes, it will be included in your sciGPA. But you should have enough sci classes as a predent/engineering major to well offset it.

Ron Jeremy

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
  1. Pre-Dental
I agree with SanOnofre2002 about how your math grades are part of your sci gpa.

I am a career changer from engineering to dental, and I also did terrible in diff eq. I struggled to get a C+ in the class. Anyway, what the d-schools are going to care about is your overall sci gpa, and especially how well you do in chem and bio classes. I already have a masters in Mech Eng, and my impression was that the d-schools didn't care that much about my eng classes, all they cared about was how well I transitioned into bio and chem.

I was able to get into 4 d-schools with a few poor grades in Mech Eng classes and the C+ in diff eq.

You'll be fine as long as you do well in Bio and chem.

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.