Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am taking general chemistry over the summer as it is a prerequisite for dental school. The only thing is, I haven't studied math since grade 11. The prof let me into the class after assuring her that I would get a tutor and that I would review my math skills over the coming weeks. What math should I be looking it? I like using Khan Academy, as I find their way of explaining things quite helpful. Do you have any recommendations as to what things to look up on there?

Three main things from my General Chemistry course stood out to me that I think would be of good use to you:

1) Understand the slope formula and how its utilized on an excel sheet and graphing (In terms of algebra, solve for the slope). You'll use this a lot in your lab portions when you learn about titration and solving for titration curve slopes.

2) Learn the Quadratic Formula. Even though you'll be able to derive the answers on a TI-84+ calculator, this will come into use when you begin to understand and solving for Equilibrium Concentrations. Most courses begin this series the second semester of General Chemistry, but my class pushed ahead near the end of the semester in understanding this concept both in the class and lab setting.

3) Study significant figures and conversion measurements: You will learn how to do stoichiometry and round significant digits in nearly all of your calculations and lab reports. In order to study these though, you'll need to review basic algebra (ie. solving for "x" in an equation). For conversions, I'm referring to metric system conversions ( how many kilograms in a gram? How many decameters in a micrometer? How many millimoles in a mole? so on and so forth).

Before any of these three steps, its vitally important you know how to solve for "x" in a basic algebra equation. If you do that, you'll easily be able to solve for formulas you'll be given throughout the class: A few example(s) you'll be introduced to is Law of Proportions, Law of Concentration(s), and Solving for Ideal Gas Laws (Temperature, Pressure, given constant). If you need a refresher for solving for x, I'd recommend sticking with Khan Academy and understanding how to solve for an unknown using fractions and decimals. I hope this gives you some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Khan Academy has a good selection of content in Algebra, Algebra II as was mentioned will be the most useful for Gen chem. You should be able to solve basic algebraic equations for single or multiple missing variables and be able to manipulate equations in order to do so. Although linear algebra is not necessary for Gen Chem, some of the skills from LinAlg can simplify some of the more cumbersome math in typical Gen Chem curricula.

Exponents, logs, and facility with scientific notation and units/conversion are must-know.

A good, freely available reference text for math in Chemistry is available from U. Birmingham. Link below.

It's a low-level enough text to be easy to work through but definitely overkill for Gen Chem. Good to have on bookmark if a concept is still confusing after watching KA.

Status
Not open for further replies.