Math In Opt. school?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by MolarGuy02, Sep 12, 2002.

1. MolarGuy02

MolarGuy02 Junior Member

Hi all you opto guys and gals. I am a new member here on SDN. I am thinking about opt. school, but one of the things holding me back is the aspect of math. I the type of guy who is great at memorizing things, but my fluid capabilities (e.g. math) are not as strong as I would like them to be. I am wondering how much calc. and math you guys utilize in your classes, e.g. optics classes... Thanks so much in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. christie

christie Senior Member

Hi & Welcome!

I just started OD school and in Theoretical Optics there is no calculus. You basically deal with a lot of algebra & trig (i.e similar triangles). I must admit, though I find Optics very challenging, it is really interesting. :)

4. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    Christie's right. optics is mostly algebra and similar triangles (still algebra). There's only a little bit of trig (sin,cos, tan). That' s it!! Most of it is how well you can divide things by one! ;) [at least for thin lens problems]

5. TAL

TAL Senior Member

I wouldn't let math discourage you from optometry school. I will add to the above skills both log and natural log functions as things that you need a working knowledge of, I'm seeing them all the time on Vision Science graphs. If you can pass a geometry, an algebra, and a trig course you will be OK, as far as I know.

6. hema1013

hema1013 Member

What gives me the most trouble is adding and subtracting negative numbers... seriously. Also, with all the equations we need to know, I'm always forgetting a minus sign somewhere. I agree with the others, if you can remember the equations, then I think that the math won't be problem.