MolarGuy02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2002
Status (Visible)
Hi all you opto guys and gals. I am a new member here on SDN. I am thinking about opt. school, but one of the things holding me back is the aspect of math. I the type of guy who is great at memorizing things, but my fluid capabilities (e.g. math) are not as strong as I would like them to be. I am wondering how much calc. and math you guys utilize in your classes, e.g. optics classes... Thanks so much in advance.

christie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2001
Status (Visible)
Hi & Welcome!

I just started OD school and in Theoretical Optics there is no calculus. You basically deal with a lot of algebra & trig (i.e similar triangles). I must admit, though I find Optics very challenging, it is really interesting. :)

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Christie's right. optics is mostly algebra and similar triangles (still algebra). There's only a little bit of trig (sin,cos, tan). That' s it!! Most of it is how well you can divide things by one! ;) [at least for thin lens problems]

About the Ads

TAL

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2001
Houston
Status (Visible)
I wouldn't let math discourage you from optometry school. I will add to the above skills both log and natural log functions as things that you need a working knowledge of, I'm seeing them all the time on Vision Science graphs. If you can pass a geometry, an algebra, and a trig course you will be OK, as far as I know.

hema1013

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2001
Houston, TX
www.hema1013.com
Status (Visible)
What gives me the most trouble is adding and subtracting negative numbers... seriously. Also, with all the equations we need to know, I'm always forgetting a minus sign somewhere. I agree with the others, if you can remember the equations, then I think that the math won't be problem.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.