math problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i wonder if someone can help me solve a math problem. im a 4th yr n i cant solve it. o_O

.A medication order is received for gentamicin 1.7 mg/kg IV every 8 hours in 50 mL NS. The patient is a 56-year-old female weighing 165 lb (75kg) and standing 5'4 tall. Gentamicin is available in a 2 mL single use vial (40 mg/mL). If the infusion is administered over 30 minutes and the administration set delivers 20 drops per mL, how many drops per minute will the patient receive?.
. .
.Answer:.. 35.
. .

Members don't see this ad.

75 kg * 1.7 mg/kg = 127.5 mg gentamicin dose

40 mg/mL gentamicin * 127.5 mg = 3.19 mL gentamicin needed

3.19 mL + 50 mL NS = 53.19 mL total administered

127.5 mg/30 min = 4.25 mg/min

4.25 mg/min * 53.19 mL/127.5 mg = 1.773 mL/min

1.773 mL/min * 20 drops/mL = 35 drops/minute

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes me sad that a P4 is asking this.....(if it is legit)

but then again, if you can't figure this out, good luck getting past the NAPLEX.

I hear meth problem is rampant in OK..

I hear meth problem is rampant in OK..

Yep, we are the leading state in the production of meth.

But hey, at least we're number one in something.....

why does it make u sad? i A's calculus 1 & 2 in undergrad and so my math background isnt a problem. i also A's Pharmacokinetics. if anything your mind is quite narrow to judge other ppl when you should judge no one other than yourself.

Maybe he's a 4th year in a 6 year program?

Maybe he's a 4th year in a 6 year program?

assume = ass-u-me
so pls dont assume things as i'm not making any assumption of u either. your status does not even say you're pre-pharmacy.

why does it make u sad? i A's calculus 1 & 2 in undergrad and so my math background isnt a problem. i also A's Pharmacokinetics.
How about English? :smuggrin:

why does it make u sad? i A's calculus 1 & 2 in undergrad and so my math background isnt a problem. i also A's Pharmacokinetics. if anything your mind is quite narrow to judge other ppl when you should judge no one other than yourself.

Who cares what you got in Calculus if you can't solve drip rate calculations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares what you got in Calculus if you can't solve drip rate calculations?
Not to mention the fact that a p4 probably hasn't used Calc in the last 5 years, so that grade is no longer relevant. Hey, wait, I got best in class for counting when I was in kindergarten!

That's relevant though. :smuggrin:
kcl0yc.gif

:thumbup:

i also agree this is a VERY simple math problem (to all the cocki individuals out there anyways). and only after the explanation that i forgot to add the two liquids together that i myself realize its a simple math problem. cross multiplication by all means is algebraic so pls dont think i dont know how to do that.

ppl here are quite hostile n unfriendli. i guess customer valued service onli applies to customers n not their fellow colleagues.

i also agree this is a VERY simple math problem (to all the cocki individuals out there anyways). and only after the explanation that i forgot to add the two liquids together that i myself realize its a simple math problem. cross multiplication by all means is algebraic so pls dont think i dont know how to do that.

ppl here are quite hostile n unfriendli. i guess customer valued service onli applies to customers n not their fellow colleagues.

Be gracious when you ask a question. Don't be so defensive. :)

but then again, if you can't figure this out, good luck getting past the NAPLEX.

Good luck finding a job with this kind of attitude.

Good luck finding a job with this kind of attitude.

Drip rate calculations should be taught in school. They are some of the simplest math on the NAPLEX, and the math is very important. Her point is valid.

A4MD

How the hell did you get the rocket scientist icon? I want one, too!

You're still a newbie.:smuggrin::D

To be fair all of the posts have been made here in the pharmacy forums. I'm not like J-Dub or some of the other people who spam the lounge and whatnot for posts...:D

Gonna get it the old-fashioned way. With 1k posts worth of actual opinion and thought rather than 1k posts full of WTF. (Okay well, there will probably be some WTF in the posts I make as well)

To be fair all of the posts have been made here in the pharmacy forums. I'm not like J-Dub or some of the other people who spam the lounge and whatnot for posts...:D

Gonna get it the old-fashioned way. With 1k posts worth of actual opinion and thought rather than 1k posts full of WTF. (Okay well, there will probably be some WTF in the posts I make as well)

There have been plenty...;)

hi i wonder if someone can help me solve a math problem. im a 4th yr n i cant solve it. o_O

.A medication order is received for gentamicin 1.7 mg/kg IV every 8 hours in 50 mL NS. The patient is a 56-year-old female weighing 165 lb (75kg) and standing 5'4 tall. Gentamicin is available in a 2 mL single use vial (40 mg/mL). If the infusion is administered over 30 minutes and the administration set delivers 20 drops per mL, how many drops per minute will the patient receive?.
. .
.Answer:.. 35.
. .

What I don't understand is how someone can not know how to solve a problem, ask for help on it, and have the answer in the same post. I suppose you were looking for confirmation, but then why all the negativity from everyone else, when obviously you had the answer, you were just apparently unsure of it. Just thinking outloud, I guess.

What I don't understand is how someone can not know how to solve a problem, ask for help on it, and have the answer in the same post. I suppose you were looking for confirmation, but then why all the negativity from everyone else, when obviously you had the answer, you were just apparently unsure of it. Just thinking outloud, I guess.

It is quite common to have an answer for a problem out of a book, is it not? Answer keys are commonly in the back. Or a classmate might have given him the answer but not the solution. Or a preceptor might have asked him to solve it and given him the answer in advance so he could know if he was doing it right or not. We don't know, but there are lots of ways to have an answer without a solution, I would think.

It is quite common to have an answer for a problem out of a book, is it not? Answer keys are commonly in the back. Or a classmate might have given him the answer but not the solution. Or a preceptor might have asked him to solve it and given him the answer in advance so he could know if he was doing it right or not. We don't know, but there are lots of ways to have an answer without a solution, I would think.

Agree. I think the problem came out of a book and the answer was provided. The OP just didn't know how to get the answer.

Ummm, the Naplex is not nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Plenty of people pass it who are dumb as rocks. I knew a person who passed it who didn't know the generic of Claritin.

Medical schools do a much better job of weeding out the undeserving.

Ummm, the Naplex is not nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Plenty of people pass it who are dumb as rocks. I knew a person who passed it who didn't know the generic of Claritin.

Medical schools do a much better job of weeding out the undeserving.

It is my understanding that the math is weighted heavily on the exam (although I don't have a source to verify this, so don't take it as absolute truth). The people that I know failed the NAPLEX were awful at the math, which would seem to support the idea.

The best is when there's a typo or something and the book answer is wrong. People in class freak out "What did you get for #30? How did you get your answer? What am I doing wrong?"

75 kg * 1.7 mg/kg = 127.5 mg gentamicin dose

40 mg/mL gentamicin * 127.5 mg = 3.19 mL gentamicin needed

3.19 mL + 50 mL NS = 53.19 mL total administered

127.5 mg/30 min = 4.25 mg/min

4.25 mg/min * 53.19 mL/127.5 mg = 1.773 mL/min

1.773 mL/min * 20 drops/mL = 35 drops/minute

with everyone attacking the OP about how easy the problem is, u guys failed to notice the error in the second step...lol

also there's an "easier" way to get the answer

75 kg * 1.7 mg/kg = 127.5 mg

127.5/40=3.1875+50=53.1875*20=1063.75/30=35

thats right 5 steps instead of 6, and with less need of rounding in between biatches! lol:smuggrin:

i just patted myself on the back ha

In the real world using Braun Excel 50ml bags the answer would be 41.