Math/Science double major

MDOsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so in applying to schools this coming school year in september for admission in 2011, I was wondering if its feasible to get a good grade doing both a Math and Biology major. I always had an interest in math and I'm quite good with numbers. the main reason is I just don't want to not get into med school and have a quite useless degree, with a Math degree you can always fall back into business or go for an MBA. I don't need anyone to question my desire to get into med school, I'm just thinking about possible fall back options.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely feasible to get a good grade no matter what sort of major or double major you decide to do.... too many variables to say one way or another. If you start off from the beginning with a good work ethic, devote enough time to studying, and so on, then you should be ok.

Also keep in my you don't have to be a biology major, you could simply just be a math major while also taking the required pre-med courses. Once you do that you'd probably be fairly close to a bio major as well, but it just depends on what you want. I was a psychology major and while I did all my pre-med required courses (and then some), I was not at all interested in things like zoology, and plant biology/ecology that was part of my school's bio major, so I decided not to double major.

But if you're interested in math then by all means go for it.

i'd personally vote that you be a math major and just take the science classes you need/want as electives. I'm a math major and most ppl think majoring in math will be easy as long as your good with numbers. But when you get to things like Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra it becomes very abstract and you have proofs that are pages long in some cases.

So i'd vote to just major in Math and take the electives you want. A double major won't look better and you won't be locked into taking certain science classes, you can just take the ones you want to take, which will help keep your grades up.

Definitely don't double major in math/bio unless you have a true interest in both. If such is the case, I would even recommend bioinformatics or something that is a good blend of both subjects before i would do a double major