math trick help

Started by liveoak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liveoak

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
helpful for solubility

what's a quick way to determine something like

(5 X 10^-7)^1/3


?

ex (4x^3 = 3.1 X 10^-21) solve for x
 
helpful for solubility

what's a quick way to determine something like

(5 X 10^-7)^1/3


?

ex (4x^3 = 3.1 X 10^-21) solve for x

I see 5 x 10^-7 is something less than 10^-6, and the third root of that is 10^-2, so the answer is something less than 10^-2.

For the second one, we have x^3 ~ 1 x 10^-21, so x ~ 10^-7.

I just try to find the closest exponential that's a multiple of whatever root.
 
I see 5 x 10^-7 is something less than 10^-6, and the third root of that is 10^-2, so the answer is something less than 10^-2.

For the second one, we have x^3 ~ 1 x 10^-21, so x ~ 10^-7.

I just try to find the closest exponential that's a multiple of whatever root.

dece. i you can also j-ust multiply 7 and 1/3 to get 7/3, so it's 5 X 10^-7/3 (and approx from there)

but, whateves
 
helpful for solubility

what's a quick way to determine something like

(5 X 10^-7)^1/3


?

ex (4x^3 = 3.1 X 10^-21) solve for x

To find the cube root of something, you want the exponent to be divisible by 3. The -7 should either be changed to -6 by decreasing 5 to 0.5 or changed to -9 by increasing 5 to 500. I don't know the cube root of what 0.5 is but I can probably approximate the cube root of 500. 5x5x5 =125 and 10x10x10=1000 so 500 must be somewhere between 5 and 10. I'll go ahead and say 7. Therefore the cube root of 500 is 7. The cube root of 10^-9 is just 10^-3. The final answer would be 7x10^-3 M or very close to that.

You can use similar logic with 4x^3 = 3x10^-31. Isolating x^3 yields: 0.75 x 10^-31. I don't know the cube root of any decimal but I can approximate a whole number. I want to make 0.75 greater than 1 but at the same time, make sure the exponent is divisible by 3:

0.75x10^-31 = 75x10^-33

The cube root of 10^-33 is 10^-11. If 3x3x3=27 and 5x5x5=125. The cube root of 75 must be about 4 or very close to that. The final answer should be around 4x10^-11.