Math where should I start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm I have not taken Algebra in four years, where should I start? Community College? Online Classes? Just to get a refresher? I am looking at the Scripps post-bac since it is literally right by my house and the local state school has terrible math/hard science depts. They say they offer Calc in the program, but I think If I showed up for calc after no math (besides business stat) for four years Id be lost. Also they say calc is required for physics is that true of all programs, or physics in general? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I personally found high school algebra to have been sufficient in preparing me for calculus in college. HOWEVER, algebra is the foundation of calculus, therefore you should feel confident in the basic algebraic skills....which only translates into a happier experience in calc.

Statistics, at least business statistics, and/or lower division or a select group of upper division statstics does not prepare one for calculus. I found most of the math I learned (especially calculus) virtually useless when I took a undergrad stats course. However algebra comes into more play if you take a graduate level stats course.

In regards to physics, schools usually offer two flavors of physics. Calc-based and non-Calc-based. I personally found calc-based physics easier since I can see why things happens, rather than given an equation and assume this is the way it is. Really taking one or the other probably won't impact how you do in med school or on the MCAT. But the question is what do you want out of your education? As the saying goes, Biology is Chemistry, Chemistry is Physics, and Physics is Calculus (err..math). Hope that helps :)

I'm not sure if you ever were ever very comfortable with algebra. But Before I started calc in college I used a book, its called "Forgotten Algebra." It reteaches you everything about algebra from the ground up, and really prepared me algebraically to tackle calculus, which really wasnt bad knowing algebra.

But Im not sure what your trying to do, pre-reqs or what...

But if you just need the skills, the book is great, and quick, spend a week or two and you'll see algebraic manipulations like the back of your hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I would probably benefit from taking calc and scripps requires it. The problem is that the local CC has tons of prereqs to even enroll in their calculus classes. (Algebra, Plane Trig, Pre-Cal) what do think is the best way around this, while still being able to fully understand calc?

Excellent Stix, I will check that book out.

skid said:
I think I would probably benefit from taking calc and scripps requires it. The problem is that the local CC has tons of prereqs to even enroll in their calculus classes. (Algebra, Plane Trig, Pre-Cal) what do think is the best way around this, while still being able to fully understand calc?

Ya know, you could also "sit in" or audit a calc class. See what you think, or at least know what to expect.