Math!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmoody

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, here me out. I didn't do that well in College Algebra after returning to full time school from the military, I recieved an F! What do i do? How will this affect any possibilty of medical school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not to scare you, but I know of some mid-tier medical schools that require college level calculus. I know there are the 4 science classes-bio, orgo, chem and phsyics, labs to go along with said classes, at least 1 year of english, I'm sure math is in here somewhere and other classes to round yourself out. My premed track required calculus. Take some philosophy or logic classes if you don't like math. But I'm afraid I sound like I'm talking out of my ass. (Insert Ace Ventura impersonation.)

Anyone else have any suggestions? Mine are blurry at best.

[This message has been edited by myrnafir (edited 06-30-2000).]

A failing grade looks very bad on your app unless you have some very compelling reasons i.e sickness, death in the family

In the future, you would be wise to drop a course before the drop deadline (without academic penalties) if you are doing poorly in it. i.e a couple of bad test scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the course at a different school and make sure you get an A. The grade will replace your F for both AMCAS and AACOMAS GPA calculations. Although the F will still be on your transcript, you have a better chance of avoiding problems.

F's look very bad on a transcript, but you can address it. Damage control: First get some help (tutor). Next, retake the course and do much beter. Depending on your school, you might be able to replace the F on your transcript with your new grade.

Most likely you will be required to take Calc. also

I hate math, not because of the math per se but the, as I see it, absolutely ludicrous way it is taught.

My history is that I take math at home, teaching it to myself, before I take math in the class.

I may be wrong in this, but I don't think so: if one is to have an "F" on a transcript, a freshman math course is the most forgivable place one can have it. Some people understand an "F" here more than in any other place. Just raise the trend.

Check out coolmath.com. I used it and made an "A" in both Cal I and Cal II. Cliff, yeah the same one that has all the lit. stuff, has good notes for math courses as well. Good Luck. Definitely take again and get an "A"