Mathematics Pre-Req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feverish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Slowly, but surely, I am starting to chip away at the med pre-req's. It wasn't until recently that I paid any mind to the mathematics aspect and I am actually a bit discouraged by the calculus requirements. I have never been extremely strong in mathematics (for reasons unknown to be quite honest), never making anything higher than a B in most circumstances throughout high school. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make it through the requirements for calculus or if I should just supplement the credits with creditable statistics class. I have not taken anything higher than college algebra, so should I take pre-cal beforehand? Should I take either one at a community college during a summer session, or should I allow myself more time and take it throughout a full semester?

Any tips/motivational statements are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools don't have mathematics requirements, some schools require two semesters but allow you to choose appropriate college level math courses (i.e. calculus isn't necessarily required), and others require calculus. Figure out which schools you want to apply to and plan your schedule accordingly. Also, most schools have something like Calculus for Biological Science/Social Science Majors and one for engineers/physician scientists. Take the former if you go the calculus route. If you hadn't had precalculus in high school, I recommend taking that prior to calculus in college.

Calculus really isn't as hard as people make it to be. Calculus 1 & 2 were by far the easiest prereqs for me and for most people I know. You do not need a particular affinity with maths, just a lot of hard work (do every single problem given to you, multiple times if needed, and even ask for more if you don't understand still).

(Calculus requires a strong knowledge of algebra, and a decent knowledge of quadratic, trig, log and exponential functions. So if you don't have that set, you should take pre-calc, yes.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes take precalculus and brush up on your algebra skills.

Also, coming from someone who's always hated math and has a poor sense of algebra: calculus is simple. It makes much more sense than anything else save arithmetic. If anything, take it to prove to yourself you're capable and erase doubts!