Maths for preparing for pre-med coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tychromancy

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
uhhh depends on the level of physics but generally algebra up to solving systems of 2 equations. calculus knowledge, trig identities etc. can help but are not required unless you're taking calc-based physics.

for orgo: adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying

Reactions: 1 users
algebra is the most useful (esp. for chemistry and biochem)
calc is useful, but as you go higher, you get diminishing returns. It's always a good idea to take calc I at the very least because understanding basic physics generally requires understanding calc I
stats is useful for life in general

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really solidify your dimensional analysis skills which is simple algebra. Will help a lot in Gen Chem and physics

Stat, while not directly applicable to pre-med course work will serve you latter.

Reactions: 1 user
Statistics is incredibly important, especially for MCAT (my psych/soc section had a stupid amount of stats), Algebra and trig (saves your butt in gen chem)

I am kinda iffy on recommending Calc I as it didnt really help me in other courses but I found the discipline to do well in this class helped me with other courses so take what you want from that

I would highly recommend Calc I and II if you're taking any upper-level chemistry course or calculus-based physics. It makes physics easier to understand and allows one to appreciate the true beauty of physics. After all, calculus was invented so that Newton could expound physical principles. But at the minimum, excellent algebra skills are required. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time just trying to dig through the math and won't be able to spend as much time appreciating the science.

Reactions: 1 user
At the minimum, algebra and statistics, gleaming for what was useful for my limited experience in med school so far. You don't need math for orgo lecture (unless your school does?) though you'll use dimentional analysis and conversions in lab.

If you really want to understand physics and chem, calculus will serve you well. But to do well in calc it's important to have good algebra skills as well as knowledge of trig (trig is also important for physics, for the record).