Maturity??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pappy846

MS-.8 KCUMB 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...again.

My 3rd post in the last 15 min!! haha.

Anyways...I have a friend who just recently got into Touro...and she was telling me how maturity is such a big factor in applicant selection. And how adcoms really grilled the fresh undergrads. I understand that the average age is 25-27ish of matriculating students, and a lot, though not the majority, are coming from a previous career. Does this mean us 22 year olds are at a disadvantage??? Let me know about any of your experiences, thanks a bunch.

-Patrick

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think younger applicants are at a disadvantage. I'm a 23 first time applying undergrad who wasn't grilled during the interview at all (I'll be attending Touro-Mare Island). I do think that medical schools might grill applicants with lower than normal stats for the school or if there is something confusing on the transcript/personal statement. But, this is probably more a test to see how they react and what kind of answers they come up. A lot of the older students I've seen have a lot of medical/research experience so that may be why they aren't "grilled." I guess what I'm trying to say is that maturity is important.. but NOT age-related maturity, but mental maturity.

I hope they are, I'm 26 and I've been trying to get in for years you young whippersnappers :)

Members don't see this ad :)
cadence said:
I hope they are, I'm 26 and I've been trying to get in for years you young whippersnappers :)
How is this application cycle treating you?

I had to apply reeeeeeeaallly late this year (long story) so I'm not holdiong my breath, but I do have an interview at KCUMB in april and I hope to get 1 maybe 2 more before the year is done. I'm not holding my breath about more, but it wouldn't fall-down-heart-attack shock me if I got more, i'd probably darn near explode from delight, but it wouldn't shock me.

Myself and other more non-traditional students that I went to school with have noticed that sometimes there is a benefit into having some real life experiences before going to med school...there is often a stronger work ethic...and I have seen this is fellow med students and other interns that I work with. Do you have to have these experiences...no, but I do think they can play an important role.

I believe so, I've been a substitute teach, music instructor for an inner-city drum corps and swim coach. my divorce taught me a few things to (ugh)

I think I am a better person now than I was a few years ago. I know that whereever I go I'll want to work hard for myself, but also to my fellow students. I guess I'm feeling the need for generativity a little early

pappy846 said:
Hello...again.

Anyways...I have a friend who just recently got into Touro...and she was telling me how maturity is such a big factor in applicant selection. And how adcoms really grilled the fresh undergrads. I understand that the average age is 25-27ish of matriculating students, and a lot, though not the majority, are coming from a previous career. Does this mean us 22 year olds are at a disadvantage??? Let me know about any of your experiences, thanks a bunch.

-Patrick

I don't know if 22 years old are at a disadvantage. But I agree with you that one of the things that the adcoms look for is maturity. Let's see, a new fresh undergrad gets out of the school, what can he/she show them ? I guess, all they try to do is to prove that they're smart. Grade can tell something about it, but that's not all. For example, a person who started his own company, tried a new idea even it failed, has a wide range of knowledge so that he can analyze the society in term of history and culture, he is not stupid at all. You don't have to use grades or standardized test scores to show the intelligence. Can a new fresh undergrad show his/her intelligence without falling into the trap ? Yes, if he/she is aware about the importance of knowledge. A lot of people may think that studying science is harder than studying humanity. Well, in intellectual perspective, they're all the same difficult. Science looks into more details while humanity looks in broad areas (basically, in humanity, they want you to have a wide view). By taking the MCAT, in the verbal section, you can realize that they want you to have a wide range of knowlege such as political science, history, literature, religions, geology, etc. There must be a reason why MCAT composes of PS, BS and VB. That's academic maturity. How about life maturity ? For the non-trad, they may realize that changing career is important and it may maximize their potential and energy. Perhaps, because they were already in one career, they're more careful when they decide to change. Until they reach to the 30's period, they may realize their limitation, so they take steps more cautiously. When they're in the med career, they'll be serious and work hard.

Having said all that, age and maturity is not correlative. We cannot always assume that a young person is immature. And we can't always assume that an old person is mature. :)

OK, I hope I wrote enough. I will sit back and read the comments from other people that I admire. :)

pappy846 said:
Hello...again.

-Patrick

Yes, the average age of acceptance is higher than the average age of college graduation. While I was not "grilled" at my own interviews, I was one of the few undergrads present. Most of the people that interviewed along side me were, on the average, 25 and up with various backgrounds. Due to this, they had a lot more experiences to bring to the table than myself. Yes, I do think this puts the undergrads at a disadvantage but, in the end, I also believe it all comes down to who wants it more. That is, who sells themself better. You can be 45 with three doctorates but, if you have the personality of a hole-in-the wall, it wont do you much good.

Jamers said:
Yes, the average age of acceptance is higher than the average age of college graduation. While I was not "grilled" at my own interviews, I was one of the few undergrads present. Most of the people that interviewed along side me were, on the average, 25 and up with various backgrounds. Due to this, they had a lot more experiences to bring to the table than myself. Yes, I do think this puts the undergrads at a disadvantage but, in the end, I also believe it all comes down to who wants it more. That is, who sells themself better. You can be 45 with three doctorates but, if you have the personality of a hole-in-the wall, it wont do you much good.

Wow, i just read your stats...doesn't give ME very much hope!

I would say not to worry at all about your age. I am 20 years old, and I did two interviews; at UNECOM and NYCOM. Both went very well(acceptances). I think the candidate just has to conduct his or herself in a mature way while speaking to the admissions committee, and all shall go well. I think its true that the stats have a lot to do with it as well, but when it comes down to it, being young won't stop you from gaining an admission. Good Luck! :D

i agree with icarus. it doesnt matter how old you are, if you are mature, you shouldn't have a problem. it seems some DO schools are more non-trad friendly than others, which is fine. i think being well rounded, either if your 30 coming from a different career, or 22, coming from college, but not just doing things in the sciences, can come across equally as good! ok i know that was a run on sentence that didnt make alot of sense, but i should be doing my orgo lab...and im procrastinating...

Hey here is something to definetly give you some hope

I applied to TOuro (late...in NOv)....and I have been accepted...and I was only 21 at my interview (22 now)...and still an undergrad...

Yes Touro does like life experiences...but i truly dont think that being young puts you at a disadvantage. Make sure that you make adcoms understand your reasonings of why you want to become a doctor, why D.O., and what makes you think you should start med school at a young age. Interesting enough I think they asked me a similar questions...about being young...and life experiences...and they coupled it with a medical ethics questions...so prepare yourself on that kind of stuff...to prove you know about the real world....
Just so you know after the interview...one of the professors interviewing me said...you did great..and dont worry...i was young and went straigt from undergrad...to doing my masters...to getting my phd with no breaks...and i think that you can do it as well.

So just be calm...show them how amazing you are...and demonstrate enough knowledge, maturity and assurance that you are just as qualified to be attending medical school.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

pappy846 said:
Hello...again.

-Patrick

pappy846 said:
Wow, i just read your stats...doesn't give ME very much hope!

Its about selling yourself and what you have; don't worry about what everyone else has. Walk into that interview with six things you want to get out about yourself. Every question they ask, draw upon one of those six things. The reason; personal examples will stick in their minds. For example, I am, oddly, the ambassador here (yes, I wear the damn 50lb costume), but, at a few interviews I was able to bring that up, among other things, and I have actually heard back that half the reason people remembered me was as the "kid who wore the lion costume that couldn't look up because the head was too heavy". No matter your age, if you sell yourself, you are golden. By the way, I am only 22 (23 this month :)), there is hope.

Jamers said:
Its about selling yourself and what you have; don't worry about what everyone else has. Walk into that interview with six things you want to get out about yourself. Every question they ask, draw upon one of those six things. The reason; personal examples will stick in their minds. For example, I am, oddly, the ambassador here (yes, I wear the damn 50lb costume), but, at a few interviews I was able to bring that up, among other things, and I have actually heard back that half the reason people remembered me was as the "kid who wore the lion costume that couldn't look up because the head was too heavy". No matter your age, if you sell yourself, you are golden. By the way, I am only 22 (23 this month :)), there is hope.

I think age can have an advantage if you are the type of person who learns from your mistakes. Otherwise, if you are immature at 20, you'll be immature at 35, too.

Additionally, I think medical schools look for signs of maturity in all of their students. Those with a previous career have the advatage of having exactly that - a career - employment with responsibility and dedication, not just a job that you have for a paycheck. With a career comes all sorts of learning experiences that can be related to medicine, especially if that career was related to medicine (allied health, for example) to begin with.

If you're not 30 and switching from a career, I wouldn't worry too much about the competition. Medical schools outline what they want from you - it's up to you to do it in a way that makes you stand out (like Jamers says above).