Max amount of time for returning secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtbski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question: I am applying DO and MD, and have received 3 secondaries for DO schools (Tuoro, Midwestern AZCOM, and WesternUCOM Oregon). I'm a little bit concerned about the whole $1000-2000 non-refundable deposit (Tuoro is $2000 and Midwestern AZCOM is 1000), so I've put the DO secondaries on the backburner.

Would it look really bad if I took more than a couple of weeks in returning them? I'm just worried that if I am offered an acceptance, then I'll have to cough up some serious money when I might not be 100% ready to commit to that program.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Just know that the longer you wait, the later your app is, and the less likely it is for you to get an ii and/or acceptance. Also, this time of year, traffic guidelines dictate that you have 30 days to pay the deposit, whereas if you are accepted later in the cycle (after December), you'll have only 2 weeks to pay the seat deposit.

Thanks for the response. Didn't see this until now. I definitely didn't know that there is a 30 day window during the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought for a lot of schools that if you are accepted prior to November 15 you actually have until December 14 to put down the deposit? Am I reading that wrong in the CIB?

I thought for a lot of schools that if you are accepted prior to November 15 you actually have until December 14 to put down the deposit? Am I reading that wrong in the CIB?

Depends on the school. This time of year you have at least 30 days, but some give you until December.

Depends on the school. This time of year you have at least 30 days, but some give you until December.

From my experience last year, only LECOM operated outside the AACOMAS guidelines for deposits. All other schools gave me until December 14th. LECOM gave me the option (at the interview) to be given an admission decision immediately and then have 30 days to pay the deposit, or to have the decision made in December.

From my experience last year, only LECOM operated outside the AACOMAS guidelines for deposits. All other schools gave me until December 14th. LECOM gave me the option (at the interview) to be given an admission decision immediately and then have 30 days to pay the deposit, or to have the decision made in December.

Like you said, most do follow the AACOMAS traffic guidelines, but some don't always or have ways around them. You could figure out which by checking the school-specific threads for the school of your choice.

Western definitely has a deadline for submitting your secondary. But I think it's a soft deadline, so you aren't discounted if you're late... probably delays your application a lot though.

Not sure I'd ever pause pre-secondary though. Getting an interview can be quite a wait as it stands, and sometimes you can't get scheduled for months.