Max centrals have smallest incisal embrasure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true? I would think mandibular since the mesial incisal angles are so sharp (more so than the maxillary). I have this written in pencil so I can't remember where I read it. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

unlvdmd said:
Is this true? I would think mandibular since the mesial incisal angles are so sharp (more so than the maxillary). I have this written in pencil so I can't remember where I read it. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Is there a question asking about the smallest incisal embrasure in a particular arch or in the entire mouth? Now, I did see something in the latest Kaplan book on page 775 that the incisal embrasure between the mand centrals could be missing because the contact is so close to the incisal edge. If that is the case then the smallest embrasure would be between the max centrals.

DrAngie said:
Is there a question asking about the smallest incisal embrasure in a particular arch or in the entire mouth? Now, I did see something in the latest Kaplan book on page 775 that the incisal embrasure between the mand centrals could be missing because the contact is so close to the incisal edge. If that is the case then the smallest embrasure would be between the max centrals.
please dont have daout the correct ans is in the all mouth is the mesial surface b/W 24 and 25 if they ask in the upper max the ans is b/w 8and 9 came for the teacher who develop this question in the board he was an ingenier first now teach dental anatomy in tufts.........................va

Maybe the missing IP 24/25 makes it true. Otherwise, I just don't get it. Oh well... Lets just hope that one doesn't show up!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it could go either way, but I would pick the MD centrals myself.

On a related subject, does anyone know what the *largest* incisal embrasure is? My decks say it's between the MX canine & 1st premolar, but IIRC old exams with that question give the answer as being between the MX laterals & canine. Did anyone else notice this discrepancy?

Yeah, I saw that discrepancy too. But clearly, the embrasure IP canine and first premolar is larger... You have to travel all the way to a cusp tip on a premolar to complete the embrasure vs the distal incisal angle. Granted, it is a more rounded incisal angle, but the travel distance isn't the same as going to the cusp tip of a premolar. Looking at a poured model, this made more sense. However... who knows what they have as "correct" on their key! :confused:

You really need to be careful with Dental Decks. There are discrepancies. If you have time you need to verify info that seems bogus or that you aren't sure of. I know there are several anatomical sciences cards that are wrong (i.e. the one that says that the derivatives of the 1st branchial arch are innervated by the facial nerve). There were some in DA/Occl but I can't think of them off the top of my head.