Max Character Limit for AADSAS Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone know what the character limit is for the personal statement on the AADSAS application? All their website says is "... one page".

I tried searching this forum on this topic, but couldn't find anything, so don't jump down my throat if this question has been asked (repeatedly) before in the past...

Members don't see this ad.

I believe its 4500. Good luck!

Hey all,

Does anyone know what the character limit is for the personal statement on the AADSAS application? All their website says is "... one page".

I tried searching this forum on this topic, but couldn't find anything, so don't jump down my throat if this question has been asked (repeatedly) before in the past...

4500 characters (spaces included).

Members don't see this ad :)
So true. 4500, I think it says it at AADSAS. It is probably down until the next cycle though huh?

Some hints. Some people like to put two spaces after a period. Just put one. After all those sentances you will save some space.

testing. spaces
testing. spaces

Also you do not need to fill out the whole thing. When a school gets 4000 applicatiosn they are NOT going to read all of them. Make it short and sweet. Some of the best ones are 3 paragraphs long. Check it out at my site, I have examples. Some of you who have gotten accepted can send me an example.

Some schools don't even read the essay until after you have passed the DAT and GPA requirements, so concentrate on getting the best DAT score and GPA possible. Essay is secondary and most of them say the same thing anyway.

I like dentistry. My dad is dentist. I shadowed dr. tooth and loved crown prep. My clay hobby is fun with my hands. My passion for the didactics course work is passionate. etc.

Keep it short and to the point. 4500 characters is not that much.

So is it grammatically correct if i cut the spaces that are usually there after a sentence. because we usually type, then put a . then hit the space bar, then start writing. I am not using the space bar after the sentences are done. is that fine ?

So is it grammatically correct if i cut the spaces that are usually there after a sentence. because we usually type, then put a . then hit the space bar, then start writing. I am not using the space bar after the sentences are done. is that fine ?

No. You need that one space after a period.

However, some people put TWO spaces after a period, and the advice for them is to eliminate one of the two spaces to save characters.

Hah.Did you really think that you could do that?That would look pretty weird.Most people learn to put 2 spaces after each sentence, so that's what the poster was getting at about cutting out spaces.Good Luck.

Ya, i actually did it thinking it will look ok once i transfer it to my application...but it looked weird on MS word. My friend looked at it too and the first thing he said was "there is either something wrong with my MS word or u forgot ur spaces" :). I had always thought 4500 characters with space is alot, but once i started writing i realized i might need around 6500. Thanks for your feedback guys.

Ya, i actually did it thinking it will look ok once i transfer it to my application...but it looked weird on MS word. My friend looked at it too and the first thing he said was "there is either something wrong with my MS word or u forgot ur spaces" :). I had always thought 4500 characters with space is alot, but once i started writing i realized i might need around 6500. Thanks for your feedback guys.

no you seriously don't. no matter how ground-breaking and unique you think your personal story is, it isn't. adcoms are looking through piles of these things and a personal statement that drags will not make you any friends. i know your parents told you you were a precious little snowflake and that no one was like you, but i guarantee that from a pile of 25 personal statements i could pull one that will be a near copy of yours with a couple activities, experiences, motivations, etc. renamed or rephrased.

Hah.Did you really think that you could do that?That would look pretty weird.Most people learn to put 2 spaces after each sentence, so that's what the poster was getting at about cutting out spaces.Good Luck.

:laugh: I see what you did there.

You mean you wanted to do something like this.No space?

While your at it, how about never hitting the SpacebarAllTogether?AndJustDoThis :laugh:

Even though the OP was accepted into dental school 2 years ago, I hope the new replies to this thread find him well.