Max characters for essay questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspdpt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing great with the application process and are finding a way to stay stress free! Quick question about supplemental essay questions. When given the max amount of characters (e.g 1500, 2000, etc.), is it usually recommended to get close to the max or as long as you're able to explain yourself well you should be good?

Hope you can help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing great with the application process and are finding a way to stay stress free! Quick question about supplemental essay questions. When given the max amount of characters (e.g 1500, 2000, etc.), is it usually recommended to get close to the max or as long as you're able to explain yourself well you should be good?

As long as you’re able to explain yourself well

I was probably 5-20 characters shy of the max for each of my essay questions. I didn't set out to write so close to the max, but I found that when responding to each question I couldn't help but go over. If anything, I actually had to make my responses more succinct. The more you can say, the more a program can learn about you; but don't pepper your responses with unnecessary information just to increase the character count. If you're worried about it have someone you know read you responses and they'll be able to tell you if your being longwinded or too brief