maxillofacial surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VISHNU GAUTHAM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear friends,,, i am a foreign grad recently completed my batchelors n dental surgery from dharwad india,,,m very much passionate for maxillofacia surgery.....my gpa is 3.2 is it goood enuf to apppling directly for residency(prettty bad i knw) ???elz do i need to do dds first.... ultimately at the end i wanted to do maxillofacial which s my dream....,,, another q????,,. can i directly apply for universities aft gvng nbde part1 nd 2 thru b1(visiting) visa??? or shud i do mph r mha or cell biology to increase my gpa 1st and den appply for dds.... heard that the fees for 3yrs s willl be more than 350k....is it worth spending tht muchr ,,, hw many yrs it willl take to re pay tht loan ,,, r elz its better to do maxillofacial n india cracking indian exams which s 3yrs+2yrs fellowship,,, friends plz help me thru ..... any one dng subspeciality gng thru dis post plz help me by droppping me ur no so dat i can contact u....
thanku friends

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy,

A BDS does not allow you to practice in the states. You will have to join an advanced standing program before even being considered for an OMFS residency ( BU and other schools have one) Advanced standing takes about 2-3 years alone. Then for OMFS, you will most likely have to take the NBME - score high marks and apply for several programs across the country (very competitive). OMFS programs take 4-6 years depending on the degree granted ( certificate or MD). Hopefully a seasoned dentist or dental student will chime in for you. I am just regirgitating things I've heard on this site. GL

Hey buddy,

A BDS does not allow you to practice in the states. You will have to join an advanced standing program before even being considered for an OMFS residency ( BU and other schools have one) Advanced standing takes about 2-3 years alone. Then for OMFS, you will most likely have to take the NBME - score high marks and apply for several programs across the country (very competitive). OMFS programs take 4-6 years depending on the degree granted ( certificate or MD). Hopefully a seasoned dentist or dental student will chime in for you. I am just regirgitating things I've heard on this site. GL

Actually there are a few OMS programs in the US that will consider overseas trained dentists (not many but there are a small handful that will). You just have to contact each program and ask them directly. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually there are a few OMS programs in the US that will consider overseas trained dentists (not many but there are a small handful that will). You just have to contact each program and ask them directly. Good luck

+1

University of Maryland has had a few international residents, one even from India, but he was an OMFS there as well.

^ How does that work? What degree will that person be practicing with?

There are a few states where international dentists can practice without a D.M.D./D.D.S. degree. My limited understanding is that it's possible after completing at least 2 years of post-grad training, but it's a sticky situation.

There are a few states where international dentists can practice without a D.M.D./D.D.S. degree. My limited understanding is that it's possible after completing at least 2 years of post-grad training, but it's a sticky situation.

It doesn't matter what the name of his degree is. A BDS is an equivalent dental degree to a US DDS or DMD just like in the UK medical graduates at Oxford or Cambridge receive a Bachelor of Medicine it is equal to an MD when they obtain a license to work in the US they are then allowed to use the title MD if they wish because they are all equal medical degrees.

Some states in the US allow (probably 40% of them) allow international dentists who have completed a US accredited residency to obtain a state license to practice that specialty.

It is possible although a little more challenging. Just as it would be challenging for a US dental graduate to complete a dental specialty in the UK (or any other country that doesn't have a pre agreed reciprocal agreement) and obtain full licensure. ... but it is possible.

+1

University of Maryland has had a few international residents, one even from India, but he was an OMFS there as well.

True. "If" a program (regardless of what country the residency is based) is to accept a foreign graduate. Usually that graduate has to have something to set him or herself apart from local graduates. Most of foreign grads accepted into speciality training (medical or dental residencies) usually have done significant research (some have MSc or PhD degrees). Or they have already completed residency in their own country and then they may want to go overseas for a clinical fellowship training in an area that they didn't get much exposure to. Even US OMS graduates sometimes go overseas for another couple of years of fellowship or senior registrar positions in the UK, Australia, Canada, Asia, or India. :thumbup:

Hey buddy,

I personally know an English OMS who has a BDS as their dental degree and they completed a 4-year US OMS residency and they then obtained a license to practice OMS in the US without also obtaining a US DMD or DDS degree first. Not all states require this. I think there are at least 18 or 20 states in the US that will allow this.

Are you based in Texas? I do know that Prof. Mark Wong who is in charge of OMS training in Houston completed his BDS at the University in Singapore and then completed the 4-year OMS program at U of Miami. He is a fully licensed OMS in Texas. They have a spot every year in their program that is reserved for a US military personal. If the US Military do not use that spot then I think it goes to an international graduate (usually an Australian from what I've heard).